Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 02-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Mole Negro recipe like served at Red Iguana

Yep you read the title right, I want to try and make this on my own. I know it takes alot of spices, mexican chocolate, etc but I SO loved it....its taken over my conscious. I think "what do I want for dinner" and this dish comes rushing back into my head. I didnt think I would like it THIS much, and DH likes it too.

Any takers on helping me make this? I do know mexican food. I've gotten compliments from hispanics on my tamales, so I'm not a stranger to any of the ingredients
Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

I found this recipe on food network but it looks like a lot of work. http://tinyurl.com/dyp6bd I was hoping this was one recipe they would share from DDD when they visited but no such luck.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I may have to venture out on that limb (In a few weeks once I amassed all the ingredients). The little gal on saturday mornings on FN did a quick mole that was similar and I may try hers first. She took a couple short cuts but came up with something real close (she used some of the same chilies, herbs, but used peanut butter but DID use the mexican chocolate). I've just never had something overwhelm me to this level. Worth a 2nd trip to Iguana to try the other mole I almost got. I like spicy but in control, and this was in control, and the other seemed the same way.

Dang her.....but then this is probably a huge seller for her. but thanks for the help.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Rosie – from what I understand, Mole recipes vary by region in Mexico and even families have their own recipes. But, I have a cookbook I bought in Mexico while on a study tour a gazillion years ago and there is a recipe in it for Black Mole, Oaxaca style. There’s an English translation so if you’d like me to post it, I will.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Smarter Than The Average Guru/Moderator

I've never been to Red Iguana. But I love Blue Iguana.
Just had it yesterday in fact.
I LOVE the Amarillo. Super spicy and yummy! Mmmmmm...If I could find the recipe for that I'd gladly put in the time and effort.

My Blog
Old 02-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Please do Dewey, I would appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseparkStar
Please do Dewey, I would appreciate it.
Here it is. I copied it exactly as it is in the book but I don’t think the translation is all that great. In fact, some of it is funny… cinders?

Black Mole Oaxaca Style

1 young turkey (I think turkey is traditional in Mexico. I assume you could substitute chicken)
2lbs Pork backbone or spare-ribs
1 1/2 lbs tomatoes
20 black “chilhuacle” chilis
8 “mulato” chilis
7/8 cup lard
3oz almonds
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup peanuts
1 avocado leaf
2 tablespoons raisins
1 tablespoons sesame seed
1 tortilla
1 oz stale white bread
2 oz chocolate
6 cloves
5 peppercorns
1 stick cinnamon
1 tablespoon oregano

Cut up the turkey (chicken) and boil until tender. Do the same with the pork. Open the chilhuacle chilis and place the seeds on a tortilla. Toast the seeds and tortilla until all are black but not in cinders. Toast all the chilis, remove veins and soak chilis in salt water. Grind. Brown, in 6 tablespoons fat, the almonds, pecans, peanuts, seeds and tortilla, bread, spices. Toast the sesame seed and also the avocado leaf. Grind together all the browned and toasted ingredients with the raisins, except the chilis. These last fry in lard until the fat separates; then add the ground mixture. Puree the tomatoes and add. Add also the chocolate, the cooked tender turkey and pork, the oregano and 6 cups of turkey broth. Let all simmer until the sauce is thick.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Cinders? Ok.......wow

Anyway Friday night (after a red velvet cake disaster) I did the "Mexican Made Easy" version off of FN and it was close but SWEET. I followed her recipe and I'm tweaking it. It has the chilis, a handful of tortilla chips (for thickening), mexican chocolate which I have plenty of now, and a TABLESPOON of sugar. I know I'm forgetting many things but the idea is that it was close but the kids didnt like it (what do they know.....so we decided tomake them simple mexican on those nights) but DH wants me to try again,and this time we're leaving out the sugar. We'll mix it up and as it simmers (it simmers for 20 minutes) THEN see if it needs any sugar and add a tiny bit. It's borderline close and the FN recipe had it done as enchiladas which I didnt want but quit fighting DH and did it the recipe way. Well DH decided he just wants it as mole with chicken added!!! Which means I get it my way next time.

The heat was perfect for us,it was just so sweet that did us in. I think without the sugar then we're pretty dead on and its not terribly hard. I did wonder because I usually use sweet onions (prefer the taste over yellow) if that may have contributed to the "sweetness" factor. If you think so, then I'll even get DH to chop up yellow onions for me. It was just so cool to be THAT close to making a dish I think I actually like more then chili rellanos and I freakin love those.