Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Specialty cooking

Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Default What would make a cheesecake sink in the middle?

I made Pioneer Woman's pumpkin cheesecake and was absolutely careful to follow every instruction to the letter. Nevertheless, it sank in the middle. I'm not talking about it settling down a little after I took it out. I'm talking about a crater. in the middle of the cheesecake. See how her cake looks nice and flat? That is what it's supposed to look like. Not this huge crater mine has.

What causes cheesecake to fall? What can prevent it?

I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 AM

I should add that I did not open the oven door once during the entire thing, and I did not allow anyone to even walk in the kitchen. I just barely read that if the cake is still jiggly, you should put it back in so it can cook some more, but Drummond herself says that it SHOULD be jiggly. Arrrrggg!
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Smarter Than The Average Guru/Moderator

I don't know.
I have purposely avoid making cheesecake at home because I have ZERO self control when it comes to cheesecake. I would eat the entire thing.
I might know this because I might have made one or two at home.
Good luck!

My Blog
Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

It sounds like it wasnít done yet. The baking time in a cheesecake recipe is only a suggested time. I think it varies with your oven a lot. I donít buy the Ďdonít open the oven doorí that you always hear. I check mine several times. I check to see that the top isnít shiny. And I tap the side of the pan with a wooden spoon to make sure it doesnít jiggle too much, especially the center. The whole thing should pretty much move together when you whack it. You sort of have to get a feel for when it looks done. After about 20 or soÖ

Even then, I'll occasionally get a little bit of sinking or some cracks in it. But either you ignore it and realize itís going to taste better than it looks. Or you cover it up. Depending on the recipe, you can use sliced fruit, sour cream, whip cream, chocolate ganache, etc.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweyville
It sounds like it wasnít done yet. The baking time in a cheesecake recipe is only a suggested time. I think it varies with your oven a lot. I donít buy the Ďdonít open the oven doorí that you always hear. I check mine several times. I check to see that the top isnít shiny. And I tap the side of the pan with a wooden spoon to make sure it doesnít jiggle too much, especially the center. The whole thing should pretty much move together when you whack it. You sort of have to get a feel for when it looks done. After about 20 or soÖ

Even then, I'll occasionally get a little bit of sinking or some cracks in it. But either you ignore it and realize itís going to taste better than it looks. Or you cover it up. Depending on the recipe, you can use sliced fruit, sour cream, whip cream, chocolate ganache, etc.
Cool. Mine was cracked, too, but I didn't care about that since the caramel glaze covered it. It'd take a serious amount of topping to cover the sinking, though. LOL.

Maybe I'll just have to practice.

Does everyone do a water bath with theirs? Drummond didn't mention it at all, and hers obviously didn't need it, but so much of what I've read online says that you must have a water bath. Such confusion!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggs
...Does everyone do a water bath with theirs? Drummond didn't mention it at all, and hers obviously didn't need it, but so much of what I've read online says that you must have a water bath. Such confusion!
Another personal opinion Ė I really think it depends on what kind of recipe youíre using. If I make my Pumpkin Cheesecake with Praline Sauce, I donít use a water bath. It seems like itís a moister, heavier batter and doesnít need it. If I make my White Chocolate Hazelnut cheesecake I do use a water bath. Maybe thatís something that requires experimentation, too.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I used to work at a restaurant where we made lots of cheesecakes. Dewey is right- sounds like it wasn't done. It does need to wiggle just a bit, but not much. Dewy gave other good tips for checking doneness. Just FYI, cheesecakes very rarely come out looking picture perfect. That's why so many of them have a topping of some kind- to cover the cracks, and/or bits that got a little too brown, and even out any uneven tops. On plain cheesecake, our topping was sour cream mixed with sugar to taste. We never used a water bath.