Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Is using your bread machine more cost effective than buying bread?

Anyone have any idea what the cost comes out to be when useing the bread machine? Is it more cost efective? My family is just not digging this cheep bread that is curently the only thing in our price range. Hubby said that it tasts like eating a napkin LOL.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I don't have a bread machine, I just use my mixer. But we are making all our bread lately. It probably costs me less than $2 for 4 loaves of white bread, a little more if I use whole wheat or half and half. If your family is large, I would recommend a mixer instead of a bread machine because you can make so much more. If you have neither, there are some recipes out there to mix and knead by hand (see this for an example of no-knead breads http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...d-Recipes.aspx). I love that our bread is healthier, fresher, and that I can make it in less time than it takes to get to the store and back.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I just use my hands Definitely cost effective. Especially health wise, knowing what's in it and what's not.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 PM

I don't use a bread maker. I use my mixer or hands. We seldom, if ever, buy bread from the store these days. Homemade bread just tastes so much better.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirth
Anyone have any idea what the cost comes out to be when useing the bread machine? Is it more cost efective? My family is just not digging this cheep bread that is curently the only thing in our price range. Hubby said that it tasts like eating a napkin LOL.
I think I save about fifty cents a loaf when making whole wheat bread over buying it. It's the yeast that gets spendy. We don't do it anymore because DH, who's on a diet, found a super low-calorie bread that he really likes and I'm not sure I could imitate it, but I enjoyed having homemade bread when we did.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I do have a bread maker it was a christmas gift years ago. But i curently do not have the ingredents on hand. When i found out about my food alergys that stuff went out of the food storage becuse I knew that in an emergancy i would not be making multipu meals... I gave all the flower to my mom... hummm wonder if she will give one back hehe., So I did not want to go out and buy everyting if it was going to end up costing me more.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I made homemade bread for about a month before DH asked me to buy bread again. He loves it hot and fresh, but after a day or two he doesn't want to eat it anymore. I don't really love making bread so I was ok with it!
I have a bread maker, but I only use it to make the dough, I never bake the bread in it b/c it turns out really crusty. It is better to shape it and bake it in the oven.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

I just bought 2 1lb sacks of yeast (which is usually the most expensive ingredient) at Sams for $4.xx. That will last us quite awhile. I've never done the math, but for us, I don't buy grocery store bread. If I don't make it (and I usually make 2 loaves / week, plus random french / artisan breads as needed), I buy from a local bakery and it's $3+ / loaf, so I'm pretty sure it's cost effective for us!

And I just knead by hand. I gave away my bread machine because I prefer hand mixed bread for some reason...
Old 03-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Master Penny Pincher

thanks for the tip My brother works at sams I will have to ask him if he can pick some up for me.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Master Penny Pincher

You can buy a 2# bag of yeast at Winco for $3.09. A bag last me about 3 months (I bake 4 - 6 loaves a week). You can make a big batch of dough, and after the 1st rising. Knead it down from it into loaves, place the dough on a greased cookie sheet and freeze it. When it's frozen place them in a ziploc bag in the freezer. When you need bread just place in a greased bread pan, cover with greased wax paper or plastic wrap, and let rise ( I set mine out the night before because it takes 8 hours to rise, or if I'm in a hurry turn on your oven to the lowest setting and preheat it. When it has preheated turn it off, put your bread dough in the oven, and turn on the oven light. It rises in 3 - 4 hours that way. When the dough has risen 1/2 inch above the lip of the bread pan, take off the plastic, and preheat the oven to 350. When is has preheated set your timer for 20 minutes.