Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Planting, Gardening, Landscaping

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Raspberry Transplants

A friend gave us several raspberry canes to transplant into our garden.

woot!

However, some of them are looking kinda wilted. I read that cutting the cane down to about 4-6 inches high makes the transition easier on the cane.

Has anyone ever done this?

And.....is it too late to plant strawberries? If you can find any strawberry plants that is.

Slowly but surely we are working on getting as self sufficient as possible.
www.prayingforparker.com
Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Master Penny Pincher

and if anyone can tell how to transplant these things , I would love a tutorial!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 PM

It's probably too late for strawberries this year -- mine are already setting fruit. You could certainly set new plants in the ground though -- just water thoroughly and often.

As far as transplanting raspberries, I've never cut down the cane, so I don't know if that helps or not. What I do is soak them in B-1 to cut down on transplant shock (follow the directions on the bottle). That and LOTS of water applied regularly for the first few weeks seems to help.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 PM

Kaylee, I should have invested in a transplant product.

I'm a wee bit cheap.

ahem.

We have been watering.

We'll keep our fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyallee
It's probably too late for strawberries this year -- mine are already setting fruit. You could certainly set new plants in the ground though -- just water thoroughly and often.

As far as transplanting raspberries, I've never cut down the cane, so I don't know if that helps or not. What I do is soak them in B-1 to cut down on transplant shock (follow the directions on the bottle). That and LOTS of water applied regularly for the first few weeks seems to help.
www.prayingforparker.com
Old 06-07-2010, 08:54 PM

It is really easy. You dig them up from where they were and plant them where you want them now.

The idea to soak the root in something like the B-1 to help with the transplant shock is a good one. I think I might grab some and then just water it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdlzx2
and if anyone can tell how to transplant these things , I would love a tutorial!
www.prayingforparker.com
Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

I transplanted some raspberries last year. Most did fine, but I thought a couple were dead (dead sticks... LOL). I guess procrastination pays off, because this year a bunch of new starts are coming up all around the dead sticks. So, even if they look bad I wouldn't pull them because the root may be ok. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealsare4me
I transplanted some raspberries last year. Most did fine, but I thought a couple were dead (dead sticks... LOL). I guess procrastination pays off, because this year a bunch of new starts are coming up all around the dead sticks. So, even if they look bad I wouldn't pull them because the root may be ok. Good luck!
Thanks! I bought several 2nd year ones at Lowe's this year and all but one started to grow. I'll leave it in until next year just in case. It's getting watered like the rest, so we'll see what happens. I'll have to trasnplant a few next summer as well (to spread out the new crops from the ones I had last year), so the other info will be helpful also.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealsare4me
I'm so glad you posted this! I just weeded around a bunch of raspberries that I transplanted that look really bad, and was wondering if I left them if they might find some life next year. I think I will try just leaving them to see.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdlzx2
We have every berry imaginable in our back yard and the raspberries seem to be the most hearty. The transplants should be fine as long as they stay wet. Most of the time they will die and send new shoots for the next year. They really grow like weeds after a while so watch where you want to contain them. Raspberries only fruit on canes once a year. So after the canes fruit, you can cut them down and then the new shoots will fruit the next year.