Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Hardwood floor through whole house?

Does anyone have hardwood flooring through their whole house? Do you like it? What are your thoughts on it? I wonder also about resale value--if new, neutral carpet or hardwood floors would be the better choice?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Penny Pincher

I have hardwood throughout my house but with carpet in the bedrooms. I love, love the look the of it but I think it's hard to keep clean then carpet. Then there's the need for a ton of rugs (extra money)--- you would definetly need rugs if you are going to do hardwood in bedrooms...it's too cold without them.

So...to sum up. I do love the look but hardwood is a lot of work!!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Master Penny Pincher

In my last house, I had hardwood floors throughout my whole house (and I sold it within 25 days of putting it on the market). They looked fabulous! I thought they were easier to keep clean than carpeting--just dust mop. (I hate carpeting and the thought of all those mites and things crawling around.)
However, the noise factor was high. You still have to have a lot of rugs to keep the noise factor down. I could hear the television in my bedroom like it was in the bedroom. Some elderly people don't like hardwood floors--my dad didn't like to come to my house because he was afraid of falling.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Master Penny Pincher

like pp mentioned we also have hardwood everywhere but the bedrooms and bath.I realy wanted it in the entire house but dh friened talked him into going w/ carpet in bedrooms since floor gets cold in the winter.I think hardwood is more sanitary and alot easier to clean and more versatile.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Master Penny Pincher

My folks put hardwood through the front room, dining room, and the hall to the front bedrooms, and while it feels cold at times (especially days like today) and the dog clattering through the house and/or dropping his bone off the couch (his favorite trick is to drop it clear from the back of the couch so it SUPER echos), I actually find it easier to keep clean and keep it LOOKING clean then carpet. The only carpet in the house is in the bedrooms (the bathrooms, kitchen,and laundry room is linoleum). My folks used area rugs in the living room and hallway, but I havent had the time, money or desire to look for one I like (DH and I have a disagreement atm on what color we want....he wants a dark red, I want green as we have one of 2 chairs and a couch that are a dark sage green with brown).

However we did find out that there is a bonus. DH's stepdad is disabled and in a wheelchair and with us having hardwood floors (and the doors are already built for handicap access and we have a shower he could use to) his parents can actually visit us and it will be relatively easy for him to get around our home. This is due to given he's been in a wheelchair since the late 60's his shoulders are giving out and so carpet is hard for him to get across (they just this year switched him to an electric chair for the sake of not having to do surgery on his shoulders). Plus with a pet I dont notice the hair nearly as much.

As for care.....I use a swiffer for daily "dusting", I do own a broom for the heavier duty days, and I use a swiffer wet jet with orange glo to "mop" it. I just have to remember to go WITH the grain so I dont leave streaks that drive me up a wall.

Honestly if it had been my call to pull up the carpet and put the wood in....I would have done it. While I love really good quality plush, sink to your ankle, carpet the upkeep for me would drive me crazy. I think I've ran my vacuum 3 times (in the bedrooms....depends on which one gets cleaned) since moving in 2 months ago.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

We have hard floors throughout the house including our stairs. Strand bamboo through most of it with tile in the bathrooms. We have a few area rugs in the kids bedrooms and the family room.

I am not a fan of dusting the floors, but we still use our Dyson. We vaccum our floors and I think there is a lot more in the vaccum than when we had carpet, I think a bunch of the gunk got trapped in the carpet. It does seem cleaner to have the hard floors.

They are cold in the winter, but we just wear slippers.

It is a lot easier to clean up icky messes. One of my kids recently had a tummy bug and vomited on her floor. It wiped right up, while with carpet we would have been scrubbing and still not got it all out.

Noise does echo through the house, but it doesn't bother me.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Master Penny Pincher

We have wood in our main living space and carpeted bedrooms...

One thing I didn't think about was how much my feet and back would hurt after standing or walking around the house a ton.. I never wear shoes inside and my feet and back were not used to the 'hardness' of the flooring. It took 3-4 months to get used to !

That said I wouldn't change it for the world. I love being able to mop and KNOW that my floor is clean. I always wonder when I vacuum if I REALLY am getting all the dirt.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Also research the type of wood. we have a very soft wood. It looks pretty but it dents and scratches so easy. It dents if my son drops a sippee cup on it. It is walnut. I would suggest getting a harder type of wood.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizliz0809
like pp mentioned we also have hardwood everywhere but the bedrooms and bath.I realy wanted it in the entire house but dh friened talked him into going w/ carpet in bedrooms since floor gets cold in the winter.I think hardwood is more sanitary and alot easier to clean and more versatile.

Me, too!
I really think it would be nice, but my dh is concerned with noise level and the coldness factor, so I guess we will be going with carpet.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Just a side note. If you install the hardwood by stapling or nailing it, instead of glueing or doing a "floating floor" it will cut down on the noise/echoing quite a bit.