Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Crafts

Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Vinyl lettering on stainless steel water bottles?

I think it would work to put vinyl lettering on stainless steel water bottles, but has anyone tried it?

Actually, my main concern is washing the water bottle. I'm guessing the dishwasher would cause the letters to peel.....does anyone know???

TIA!

Also, where is a good place to get the water bottles? I saw some cute ones advertised in the Seagull Book catalog for $2.99, which is what sparked this idea. But I'm a little worried that they won't have the quantity I want--about 25. Any other places to get them inexpensively?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I don't know if the vinyl will stick but I do know that my Seagull is really good about ordering extra quantities if you need them...

We needed CD's for Christmas gifts (30 of them) and they were more than happy to make a special order for us!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Master Penny Pincher

That sound like a great idea! I need to get some and somehow label them for each kid. If we kept them in the fridge, then maybe I wouldn't have to wash so many cups!!

Old 06-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

For the vinyl lettering, I heard to do that you need to use the extra strong vinyl - the kind that is for outdoor use. The typical vinyl used for crafting and wall decor doesn't hold up in the wash.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlamand
I don't know if the vinyl will stick but I do know that my Seagull is really good about ordering extra quantities if you need them...

We needed CD's for Christmas gifts (30 of them) and they were more than happy to make a special order for us!
Thanks! That is good to know.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
For the vinyl lettering, I heard to do that you need to use the extra strong vinyl - the kind that is for outdoor use. The typical vinyl used for crafting and wall decor doesn't hold up in the wash.
So where do I get the "extra strong" vinyl?
Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Master Penny Pincher

We buy our vinyl from Regional Sign Supply in Salt Lake City. Also, check any sign making place to see if they would sell you a small amount. We bought some from Goodson Signs in Kaysville in a crunch one time, but their price is at least twice as much. We needed it quick and didn't want to run into SLC so we paid the price. If you only want a small amount, it would still be worth it.

I still don't know how well it would stay on though, because the water in the dishwasher gets hotter than any water outside. That said, we have window stickers that are over 4 years old which are still on our cars that have weathered the elements fairly well.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Master Penny Pincher

That's a good idea. I washed 29 cups/glasses yesterday (and think, no dishwasher) that my kids used between the hours of 9am -3pm.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefine
We buy our vinyl from Regional Sign Supply in Salt Lake City. Also, check any sign making place to see if they would sell you a small amount. We bought some from Goodson Signs in Kaysville in a crunch one time, but their price is at least twice as much. We needed it quick and didn't want to run into SLC so we paid the price. If you only want a small amount, it would still be worth it.

I still don't know how well it would stay on though, because the water in the dishwasher gets hotter than any water outside. That said, we have window stickers that are over 4 years old which are still on our cars that have weathered the elements fairly well.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, I would still be worried about the dishwasher. But I'm okay with hand-washing. I just want the vinyl to at least survive repeated hand-washing.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Paint, not vinyl?

I wonder if you could stencil paint on initials? Maybe an enamel paint? Anyone ever tried it?