Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Planting, Gardening, Landscaping

Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default How do you freeze jalapeno peppers from the garden

I have an abundance of jalapeno peppers from my garden. Someone said you can freeze them whole. Others say to chop them up so they are ready for recipes. Also, do you leave in the membranes and seeds if you chop them? What do you do?
Thanks
Sue$aver
Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I don't know about freezing, but I've dehydrated mine before. Sliced, dehydrated, then crushed. My DH used it for a seasoning for everything that year.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystars View Post
I don't know about freezing, but I've dehydrated mine before. Sliced, dehydrated, then crushed. My DH used it for a seasoning for everything that year.
Did you leave the seeds in when you dehydrated them? And were you able to get the taste off the trays so that you could dehydrate other foods without the taste of the peppers? I've really wanted to dehydrate some but had these questions. Thank you.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Prepare them the way that you want to use them in recipes. So if you keep the seeds and membranes in when you usually cook with them, leave them in. I have frozen jalapenos sliced, diced and halved (for poppers). They freeze really well.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

We don't do anything to them. We just throw them in a freezer bag, date it, and throw it in the freezer. When we need one or 2 for cooking we just pull them out a little before hand and let them thaw.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownCJ View Post
We don't do anything to them. We just throw them in a freezer bag, date it, and throw it in the freezer. When we need one or 2 for cooking we just pull them out a little before hand and let them thaw.
Good idea. Just make sure you don't use the microwave to thaw them. You will have quite a fireworks show!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

I roast them on the grill, and them put them in a plastic bag to steam. When they are cool I remove the skin, membranes and seeds. I freeze them, and they are ready to use in any recipe.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Yes, we left the seeds in (I'm pretty sure we left all of them in, DH loves spice). The taste was gone when I used the dehydrator for the next thing, but it had been a while after that. We actually dehydrated both Thai and Jalapeno from our garden and mixed them up after they were dehydrated.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Master Penny Pincher

It's easy just follow these instructions. It's the same for jalapeņo peppers as green peppers.