Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Default pioneer trek food planning

I am in charge of helping plan food for a group of 325 people on a trek up AF canyon in June. We have a menu planned but am wondering if anyone has any helpful tips. I was thinking of contacting companies for donations/coupons. Our budget is really tight at $7.00 per day per person. I went four years ago as a ma/pa am more excited this year to be pulling the food with truck and trailer and to sneak my diet coke in a cooler!! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

My husband and I went over the summer and the one thing I can think of would be to find out what dietary restrictions some of your participants have. We had some diabetics, celiacs, vegetarians, etc. Our food was all catered by a company that would deliver food to our camp sites each night, but they had special food for those with restrictions. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Penny Pincher

I am sure that my trek did not pay that much per person a day for food. It was a "realistic" experience. We had oatmeal for breakfast, plain biscuits with beef jerky for lunch(very dry), and chili or stew for dinner. I would have loved to have caterers drop off food!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Does this thread help at all? http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/f...highlight=trek
Old 01-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Penny Pincher

We went through more snacks than I thought we would. The kids were handed their snacks in the morning for the day and usually by 2 they were gone and they were starving. I was okay and I think most of the adults were fine with the amount but those teens were eating machines. I would also check into having part of it brought in-- I have found few businesses over the past few years who are willing to donate to church functions-- it seems like they put most of their free stuff toward schools. Good luck! I agree on the diet coke!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 PM

Default thanks

thanks in advance here. First planning meeting today this will be a HUGE job I know it. But my last time going.