Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 02-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Default W 2 and last pay stub not matching up

We were given w2's and then a couple of weeks later they reissued what were suposed to be corrected w2's .They never expalined what the error with the first ones were suppsoed to have been.
Now I just went to get my things in order to file my taxes and neither of the w2's they gave me much up with my last pay stub.The one that is closest to matching is the original one that they claimed to be incorrect.But even that ones doesn't match up completley.
What would you do? I can't realy rely on my place of employment to give me the corret answer.They always seem to do what is in THEIR best favor.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Did your last pay stub for 2010 include some days in 2010 and some days in 2011? The same thing could have happened in Dec 2009 and Jan 2010. That could explain the difference. Your pay periods may not match exactly Jan 1-Dec 31.
Ask the payroll person to explain to you what happened to the W2s.
If they use a payroll company to do their payroll, call them.
I'm sure you're not the only person in the company with the question.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Master Penny Pincher

What isn't matching up exactly?

If you have anything taken out pretax, your YTD on your paystub isn't going to match up with your W2 because most often the paystub reports what you earned, while the W2 is only going to show what was taxed. That's one possibility.

Do they process payroll in house or through an outside agency? Get in touch with them and ask for a reason for the correction, tell them your concern and go from there.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine View Post
Did your last pay stub for 2010 include some days in 2010 and some days in 2011? The same thing could have happened in Dec 2009 and Jan 2010. That could explain the difference. Your pay periods may not match exactly Jan 1-Dec 31.
Ask the payroll person to explain to you what happened to the W2s.
If they use a payroll company to do their payroll, call them.
I'm sure you're not the only person in the company with the question.
The different amounts aren't from my income total that total from my last paycheck matches my w2 (well one of them) it's from state and federal taxes and social secuirty and medicare.Some of the totals are off by a few cents and some by $20 + something .
Someone had asked why they had to reiisue new w2's and they were just told "something was wrong with some of the totals" They pretty much treat us like we are just loley lil workers and don't need to be given information.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Also if you had money taken out and put in an FSA (flexible spending account)...it will not show up on your w-2 though it will show up on your pay stub.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawx View Post
What isn't matching up exactly?

If you have anything taken out pretax, your YTD on your paystub isn't going to match up with your W2 because most often the paystub reports what you earned, while the W2 is only going to show what was taxed. That's one possibility.

Do they process payroll in house or through an outside agency? Get in touch with them and ask for a reason for the correction, tell them your concern and go from there.
Nope nothing taken out pretax. Payroll is done in house.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Master Penny Pincher

First, bring your paycheck stubs to your employer, and ask why they don't match your W2. If that doesn't work, "What to do if you receive an incorrect W2 form, and you can't get your employer to issue a corrected W2" (from the IRS website).
Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
First, bring your paycheck stubs to your employer, and ask why they don't match your W2. If that doesn't work, "What to do if you receive an incorrect W2 form, and you can't get your employer to issue a corrected W2" (from the IRS website).
Thank you!
Old 02-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizliz0809 View Post
Thank you!
HTH. Good luck!
BTW, did you know that if you quit a job during the year, you don't have to wait until January of the next year to get your W2 form. If you ask for a W2 form when you leave your place of employment, your former employer has 30 days to get you a W2 form for that year.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
HTH. Good luck!
Thanks again.I hope this doesn't end up with me being audited.I've neveer had a problem before but just the thought of it makes me cringe.