Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-2011, 10:00 AM
mizliz0809 mizliz0809 is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,959
Default W 2 and last pay stub not matching up

We were given w2's and then a couple of weeks later they reissued what were suposed to be corrected w2's .They never expalined what the error with the first ones were suppsoed to have been.
Now I just went to get my things in order to file my taxes and neither of the w2's they gave me much up with my last pay stub.The one that is closest to matching is the original one that they claimed to be incorrect.But even that ones doesn't match up completley.
What would you do? I can't realy rely on my place of employment to give me the corret answer.They always seem to do what is in THEIR best favor.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Sine Sine is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: in a log cabin
Posts: 2,802
Default

Did your last pay stub for 2010 include some days in 2010 and some days in 2011? The same thing could have happened in Dec 2009 and Jan 2010. That could explain the difference. Your pay periods may not match exactly Jan 1-Dec 31.
Ask the payroll person to explain to you what happened to the W2s.
If they use a payroll company to do their payroll, call them.
I'm sure you're not the only person in the company with the question.
__________________
Save the earth... It's the only planet with chocolate.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Phawx Phawx is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah
Posts: 1,216
Default

What isn't matching up exactly?

If you have anything taken out pretax, your YTD on your paystub isn't going to match up with your W2 because most often the paystub reports what you earned, while the W2 is only going to show what was taxed. That's one possibility.

Do they process payroll in house or through an outside agency? Get in touch with them and ask for a reason for the correction, tell them your concern and go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 PM
mizliz0809 mizliz0809 is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine View Post
Did your last pay stub for 2010 include some days in 2010 and some days in 2011? The same thing could have happened in Dec 2009 and Jan 2010. That could explain the difference. Your pay periods may not match exactly Jan 1-Dec 31.
Ask the payroll person to explain to you what happened to the W2s.
If they use a payroll company to do their payroll, call them.
I'm sure you're not the only person in the company with the question.
The different amounts aren't from my income total that total from my last paycheck matches my w2 (well one of them) it's from state and federal taxes and social secuirty and medicare.Some of the totals are off by a few cents and some by $20 + something .
Someone had asked why they had to reiisue new w2's and they were just told "something was wrong with some of the totals" They pretty much treat us like we are just loley lil workers and don't need to be given information.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
lrbuffy15 lrbuffy15 is offline
Professional Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 371
Default

Also if you had money taken out and put in an FSA (flexible spending account)...it will not show up on your w-2 though it will show up on your pay stub.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM
mizliz0809 mizliz0809 is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawx View Post
What isn't matching up exactly?

If you have anything taken out pretax, your YTD on your paystub isn't going to match up with your W2 because most often the paystub reports what you earned, while the W2 is only going to show what was taxed. That's one possibility.

Do they process payroll in house or through an outside agency? Get in touch with them and ask for a reason for the correction, tell them your concern and go from there.
Nope nothing taken out pretax. Payroll is done in house.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Sine Sine is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: in a log cabin
Posts: 2,802
Default

First, bring your paycheck stubs to your employer, and ask why they don't match your W2. If that doesn't work, "What to do if you receive an incorrect W2 form, and you can't get your employer to issue a corrected W2" (from the IRS website).
__________________
Save the earth... It's the only planet with chocolate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 PM
mizliz0809 mizliz0809 is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine View Post
First, bring your paycheck stubs to your employer, and ask why they don't match your W2. If that doesn't work, "What to do if you receive an incorrect W2 form, and you can't get your employer to issue a corrected W2" (from the IRS website).
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Sine Sine is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: in a log cabin
Posts: 2,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizliz0809 View Post
Thank you!
HTH. Good luck!
BTW, did you know that if you quit a job during the year, you don't have to wait until January of the next year to get your W2 form. If you ask for a W2 form when you leave your place of employment, your former employer has 30 days to get you a W2 form for that year.
__________________
Save the earth... It's the only planet with chocolate.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-2011, 01:09 PM
mizliz0809 mizliz0809 is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine View Post
HTH. Good luck!
Thanks again.I hope this doesn't end up with me being audited.I've neveer had a problem before but just the thought of it makes me cringe.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2004-2011, Pinching Your Pennies, LLC. All rights reserved