Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Virginia's Screaming Deals

Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Where is everyone at in VA? What grocery stores are near you?

I'm in Hampton Roads area.
We have Harris Teeter, Farm Fresh, Bloom, Food Lion, Bottom Dollar, and Krogers.

It only takes a minute to reply to a PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlana98
Where is everyone at in VA? What grocery stores are near you?

I'm in Hampton Roads area.
We have Harris Teeter, Farm Fresh, Bloom, Food Lion, Bottom Dollar, and Krogers.
Sweet! Another PYPer out here in VA. Nice to meet you! I live in Wmburg and typically shop at Farm Fresh, Food Lion (where the cashiers DO NOT understand coupons!), and Bloom. We should start pooling our efforts to see what kind of magic we can put together for Farm Fresh and Food Lion!

P.S. Did you hear that Bloom is tripling again this weekend? I am going to call my store in the A.M. and find out for certain - how cool will that be?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janabanana
I'm new to PYP. I just moved here from Utah and can't believe the prices on groceries out here. I was wondering if someone would like to meet me and go over PYP. I've never used a coupon in my life. If any of you are in the DC area or fairly close I would be will to travel.
Oooo girl, do I hear you about food prices! What I wouldn't give for my Albies just about now, you know? We moved here about a 6 weeks ago from UT and I am still in sticker shock. There was one time where I started getting dizzy and needed to sit down because of the produce prices & milk prices. OUCH!!! My husband thought I was silly, but since I am in charge of the food budget, it really made my head spin.

I am about 2 hours south of you and would love to help you figure things out. The best way to start is to find a reliable source for inserts. We have a weekend paper here that comes out on Saturday with all the Sunday coupons in it - and it's only .50 a paper! I typically pick up 5 of them on Saturday morning so that I have at least that many inserts. Then I ask my neighbors/church members if I can have theirs, which they typically have no problem with.

Let me know what stores you are shopping at and maybe we can work out some deals together. I know there are several that are the same up there in NoVa - if we pool our resources, we will be able to help each other learn the ropes here in VA.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostinkinhappy
Sweet! Another PYPer out here in VA. Nice to meet you! I live in Wmburg and typically shop at Farm Fresh, Food Lion (where the cashiers DO NOT understand coupons!), and Bloom. We should start pooling our efforts to see what kind of magic we can put together for Farm Fresh and Food Lion!

P.S. Did you hear that Bloom is tripling again this weekend? I am going to call my store in the A.M. and find out for certain - how cool will that be?
Nice to meet you. I'm about an hour from you closer to the beach. I normally shop Farm Fresh and Harris Teeter. Do you get the FLIP from Food Lion? I've never been into Bloom.

It only takes a minute to reply to a PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janabanana
I'm new to PYP. I just moved here from Utah and can't believe the prices on groceries out here. I was wondering if someone would like to meet me and go over PYP. I've never used a coupon in my life. If any of you are in the DC area or fairly close I would be will to travel.
Hi Jana, welcome to VA and our sticker shock. As a reader, occassional poster to this board, I have seen the major differences in Utah prices and VA prices. It often appears that we are comparing apples and oranges.

I live in Richmond, which is sort of far for us to meet. But in your area, some grocery shopping tips I have from living up there. I believe Safeway still doubles coupons, but they are sort of rare. There is one in Crystal City. Giant has really good prices on things that are sale, so when I lived in Fredericksburg I shopped their sale flier, and Food Lion (which is Bloom now in many places). BJs club takes coupons in VA. And combining their own coupons which they send out in a big book monthly with my manufactureres coupons, and buying in bulk / larger sizes, saves us a lot of money. Super Wal-mart has really good grocery prices but don't double coupons. But the wal-mart price combined with a regular coupon is pretty good, better than most places. We have Kroger and Richmond and they DO double coupons up to 50cents. Good Luck. Wait til you get your personal property tax bill in the mail. Fairfax is one of the most expesnive counties in the state. I know you said you just moved here, but if you are renting, you might consider a longer commute and further out like west or south to save some money.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Shoppers is doing it again

Starting Thursday, Dec. 18 and I think it runs through Christmas Eve, Shoppers is tripling to .50 then doubling to 1.00 again. I believe this time it is company wide instead of Fredericksburg/Ashburn only. Just in time for Christmas Dinner!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Shoppers

Shoppers Food Warehouse in Fredericksburg is tripling to .50 and doubling to 1.00 at least through Wednesday the 25th. They are considering making this a permanent policy.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Kroger doubles up to .50, but they seem to vary by location as far as whether they have a limit. The one I used to go to in Newport News, for instance, would double 3 like coupons.

If you're farther north, Martin's doubles up to .50, and will "double" .51-.99 cents to make a total of $1 off, but they only double one like coupon per transaction. (Store card is required for doubling.) Occasionally, the sale flyer will have $1 doubler coupons, which allow you to double up to 4, $1 coupons.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Shoppers

Shoppers now doubles coupons up to .99.
I think it's company policy now.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Penny Pincher

Farm Fresh doubles coupons up to 99 cents every day and up to $1 every Wednesday.

Ukrops doubles coupons up to 50 cents every Wednesday.

I was told Food Lion doubles coupons on a certain day, but the 4 different people I asked in the store had no clue about coupons and if they even double. I haven't bothered to shop there.

I'm in the Williamsburg area. Harris Teeter will be opening on Nov. 8th by Kingmills and they do a whole week of triple coupons frequently. They just finished one last week.

HTH