Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Religion

Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Relief Society Skills Night?

I am thinking about doing a "skills night" for our Relief Society activity coming up. The RS presidency wants me to plan something for two seperate nights that will be one month apart. I am trying to decide between doing a skills night #1 and #2, or a skills night the first month and a cooking activity the second month (teaching how to cook using your food storage, how to make freezer meals, cooking while the power is out, etc.).

Age range in my ward is pretty even from young newly weds to older women in their 90's. We will probably invite the young women too.

The skills night would consist of several mini classes/presentations lasting about 15 minutes each and taught one at a time. They want ideas that will help the women save money (like the haircuts & homemade cleaners listed below), help them in the event of an emergency or loss of spouse (which we've had both very recently in our ward), or help them with a basic skill that some may struggle with (like sewing). Topics that have been recommended so far are:

1. CPR demonstration & review with new guidelines
2. How to change a tire demonstration (with printout instructions to put in car trunk)
3. How to cut boys & girls hair
4. How to do girls hair
5. How to sew (not sure what to demonstrate here)
6. How to put together a simple budget
7. Getting started with a 72-hour kit using household items
8. How to turn off the gas/water in case of emergency
9. How to change the furnace filter
10. Making homemade cleaners

These are just some ideas and I'm hoping you can tell me what you'd be interested in and if you have additional ideas. I've toyed with the idea of having an emergency preparedness activity instead of a skills night, but the RS presidency has really liked the skills night idea. So, I've thrown some emergency preparedness things in there.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I don't know if they could be done in 15min, but canning and bread making come to mind.
Oh and gardening,
Old 03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

I read a blog (it's geared toward men) that has a series on how to prepare your body to run for your life, chase down a purse snatcher, etc. Of course, it's unlikely that any of us will ever need to do this, but the real advantage is that your body is well-conditioned. It lists exercises that strengthen several parts of your body and increase several skills that would be involved in that type of situation like scaling a wall, sprinting, a sustained chase, etc.. It might be cool to put together something like that with a cool chase/fight scene by a girl and then demonstrate the exercises that would help the ladies develop each skill in the scene.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

I've never been taught how to do laundry properly or ironing a shirt. Another idea is checking your oil/tire pressure (to go with the car theme). For sewing you could demonstrate how to hem pants or skirts. Basic photography would be fun. Maybe cleaning - introduce some of Don Aslett's ideas on basic housecleaning.

HTH!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Sounds good. The tire thing has issues though. I KNOW how to change one, I just can't get the lug nuts off because they tighten with the air compressed ones and they are just too tight so it doesn't do me any good anyway. On the sewing one, do basic repairs like when seams come undone, buttons fall off, etc.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Professional Penny Pincher/Moderator

Suggestion for #5 on Sewing... Teach how to put a button back on correctly and to do a simple mend of a seem. We have so many around us that just toss every item that is missing a button or has a small tear under an arm or something.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

These are great!

If I were doing it I would add simple household repairs, freezer meals, and internet safety.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourunderfourmom View Post
I've never been taught how to do laundry properly or ironing a shirt. Another idea is checking your oil/tire pressure (to go with the car theme). For sewing you could demonstrate how to hem pants or skirts. Basic photography would be fun. Maybe cleaning - introduce some of Don Aslett's ideas on basic housecleaning.

HTH!
OH my gosh - ironing tips... I'd devour them. I hate ironing and am convinced there has got to be an easier way to do it than the way I am doing it... I'd love it if somebody taught me!

Read about , our 2 , our baby and our , at Sunny-Daze
Old 03-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Along w/ changing the tires, teach how to use jumper cables. I learned that at a RS meeting about 5 yrs. ago and had to do that 2 wks ago when I was alone. Seriously helpful that I had actually had to practice putting cables on a car at that meeting!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Master Penny Pincher

What about how to recognize/avoid scams?