Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Diet, Exercise, and Healthy Living

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM
LBMarie9 LBMarie9 is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesgr8 View Post
what is masa flour? and why be gluten, cassien, nut and all those other things free? If you take out all the stuff she is free of...what is left? only veggies?
masa flour is what all of the corn tortillas are made of. it is corn treated with lime- (there is controversy if lime is good for you)- however pick your battles right

the lady of this blog (it's not mine)- her Daughter has asperger's syndrome (on Autistic spectrum)- her Daughter inproved dramatically on a Gluten Free, Casein Free diet and has other allergies as well.

We are Gluten, Dairy, Egg, Soy FREE (and different kinds of nuts free depending on the kid - and have LOTS to eat still--almost everything actually. Meat, Beans, Whole grains (there are many that are gluten free), Fruits, Veggies- the only thing we don't have is basically cheese- (I make subs for almost everything else)- you do have to do more work to balance out things carefully but we EASILY get everything we need! (and don't live on chex

That said--if you don't have gluten intolerance/allergy problems I'd choose keep a lot of that in my diet in healthy forms (like Eggs, etc)


as for tackling it all at once--I think it's a more positive thing in your life if instead of saying all of THIS is off limits (dairy, meat, whatever)--I'd focus on adding more of the good things into your diet. more fruits and veggies, more whole grains, more meals made from scratch...I'd also focus on lowering sugar and getting rid of hydrogentated/trans fats! I would do ALL that before trying to get Organic into your life! I think that as you get more recipes that you enjoy you can slowly phase out to not having as MUCH meat and not as much dairy so that you can wean yourself off of relying on it to make things taste good- onions, garlic and the hundreds of yummy yummy spices out there a whole new world with yummy tastes --thsoe are key to stopping topping things with cheese
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Boonfarms Boonfarms is offline
Junior Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5
Default Shipping to UTAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
How about offering us some free shipping Brad?! huh?! what do ya say?!

ETA: I just looked at the website--if you are a smaller company I understand that it's harder to offer free shipping
Hello,
I'm glad your interested in our syrup. Yes, shipping is difficult for us, especially being located out in the country. The best way to ship syrup that far is a large flat rate box for 14.95. I can fit 6 quarts or 12 pints in that box and it weighs 28 pounds. If you would like to send a check instead of ordering online, I will knock off 3% (that's what paypal charges me). if you order 6 or more quarts I will knock off another 7% for a total of 10% off. I'm going to add this package deal to the shopping cart sometime soon, otherwise feel free to call us.

As for the price of the syrup, I have to say that we already advertise the lowest price possible. Maple syrup is a very labor intensive product to make. There is NO mark up or scam on our syrup, just rock bottom price. We may sell the LEAST expensive 100% pure maple syrup on the internet (and probably the best tasting too!) Most places are selling grade B pure maple syrup for 16 dollars or more per quart. Thank you,

Brad Boon
Boon Farms
Greenwood, WI
(715) 743-2544
www.boonfarms.com/maple
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM
mvse's Avatar
mvse mvse is offline
Premier Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 2,625
Default

Wow! That's awesome. So it looks like buying in increments of 6 is the way to go.. with shipping and discount it looks like the price is basically $12.40 for each quart.

Brad, what's the shelf life for maple syup? Trying to decide how much I need since pure maple is new to.me. how much do you guys (with kids, lol) go through when using it for cooking/baking as well as pancakes?
__________________
Mayme

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying.... "I will try again tomorrow." ~Mary Anne Radmacher
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM
sunset sunset is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonfarms View Post
Hello,
I'm glad your interested in our syrup. Yes, shipping is difficult for us, especially being located out in the country. The best way to ship syrup that far is a large flat rate box for 14.95. I can fit 6 quarts or 12 pints in that box and it weighs 28 pounds. If you would like to send a check instead of ordering online, I will knock off 3% (that's what paypal charges me). if you order 6 or more quarts I will knock off another 7% for a total of 10% off. I'm going to add this package deal to the shopping cart sometime soon, otherwise feel free to call us.

As for the price of the syrup, I have to say that we already advertise the lowest price possible. Maple syrup is a very labor intensive product to make. There is NO mark up or scam on our syrup, just rock bottom price. We may sell the LEAST expensive 100% pure maple syrup on the internet (and probably the best tasting too!) Most places are selling grade B pure maple syrup for 16 dollars or more per quart. Thank you,

Brad Boon
Boon Farms
Greenwood, WI
(715) 743-2544
www.boonfarms.com/maple
Is your maple syrup grade A or B?
Thanks for offering a discount!

Anyone interested in going in together in South Salt Lake County (or even Northern Utah County)?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 04-15-2011, 12:14 PM
ninefine ninefine is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
Is your maple syrup grade A or B?
Thanks for offering a discount!
I was wondering that also. I couldn't find it on the website.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Boonfarms Boonfarms is offline
Junior Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvse View Post
Wow! That's awesome. So it looks like buying in increments of 6 is the way to go.. with shipping and discount it looks like the price is basically $12.40 for each quart.

Brad, what's the shelf life for maple syup? Trying to decide how much I need since pure maple is new to.me. how much do you guys (with kids, lol) go through when using it for cooking/baking as well as pancakes?
Pure Maple will last indefinitely unopened, although you should try to use it up within 1 year so you can get next seasons fresh syrup again. Once the the container is opened, it should be kept in the refrigerator or freezer (the freezer is the best as maple syrup becomes thick but will not freeze). If mold does happen to form on top of the syrup, it can be restored to nearly its original flavor - Just bring the syrup to a slight boil, skim the surface, and pour into a clean container and refrigerate.

My sister has 4 kids, she says she goes through about a quart a month.

The "grade" of maple syrup is the measure of light that is able to pass through it. It is not the measure of flavor or nutrients. Our syrup is considered a GRADE A DARK AMBER. It contains a lot of vitamins, minerals, and necessary amino acids. (It does work for the Master Cleanse diet also). Maple syrup grades vary between the United States and Canada and from state to state. Our syrup is graded using the U.S.D.A. grading system. Grade A syrup is assigned to the more delicately flavored syrups.

Grade A light amber (sometimes called fancy) has a very mild, sweet maple flavor.

Grade A medium amber is slightly darker.

Grade A dark amber is darker in color and has a more prominent maple flavor. This is what we sell.

Grade B has a strong maple flavor and mild caramel taste. Used mostly for cooking.

Grade C has a very strong maple flavor and a more prominent caramel taste.

I just found this research about the health benefits of pure maple syrup. Thanks,

Brad
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Phawx Phawx is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah
Posts: 1,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonfarms View Post
If mold does happen to form on top of the syrup, it can be restored to nearly its original flavor - Just bring the syrup to a slight boil, skim the surface, and pour into a clean container and refrigerate.
Is this common for pure maple syrup? We don't use syrup often at my house, so its likely that a quart could last us a good 3-4 months. But if there's a chance mold would start to grow on it after that length of time, this might not be a good option for us.

This is one of my biggest challenges with any preservative-free foods. Both my daughters have had severe allergic reactions to penicillin and I've been told to take no chances with any food that might have mold also.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM
LBMarie9 LBMarie9 is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawx View Post
Is this common for pure maple syrup? We don't use syrup often at my house, so its likely that a quart could last us a good 3-4 months. But if there's a chance mold would start to grow on it after that length of time, this might not be a good option for us.

This is one of my biggest challenges with any preservative-free foods. Both my daughters have had severe allergic reactions to penicillin and I've been told to take no chances with any food that might have mold also.
yikes! (about the reactions) my son is allergic to penicillin too. I keep my maple syrup in the fridge after opening--pretty sure if you use it within 3 months (probablymore) on the fridge you won't get mold. to be safe you could plan to store it in the freezer.

I'm sold on that price Brad---I might get 6 or I'll go in with someone if they want to combine too..I'm in N UT county
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 PM
ctrcar ctrcar is offline
Master Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,941
Default

I haven't had any problems with mold. I've only had experience with two brands in the larger jug sizes, though: Kirkland, and Coombe.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Boonfarms Boonfarms is offline
Junior Penny Pincher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonfarms View Post
Hello,
I'm glad your interested in our syrup. Yes, shipping is difficult for us, especially being located out in the country. The best way to ship syrup that far is a large flat rate box for 14.95. I can fit 6 quarts or 12 pints in that box and it weighs 28 pounds. If you would like to send a check instead of ordering online, I will knock off 3% (that's what paypal charges me). if you order 6 or more quarts I will knock off another 7% for a total of 10% off. I'm going to add this package deal to the shopping cart sometime soon, otherwise feel free to call us.

As for the price of the syrup, I have to say that we already advertise the lowest price possible. Maple syrup is a very labor intensive product to make. There is NO mark up or scam on our syrup, just rock bottom price. We may sell the LEAST expensive 100% pure maple syrup on the internet (and probably the best tasting too!) Most places are selling grade B pure maple syrup for 16 dollars or more per quart. Thank you,

Brad Boon
Boon Farms
Greenwood, WI
(715) 743-2544
www.boonfarms.com/maple

Just a correction, a box of 6 quarts weighs about 19.5 pounds not sure how i got 28.
As for mold, the freezer will prevent mold on an open container for probably a year or more.

Brad
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2004-2011, Pinching Your Pennies, LLC. All rights reserved