Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Crafts

Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Crafts for 11-year old girls!

I'm looking for some cute, easy, and super inexpensive crafts for my soon-to-be 11-year old daughter to make with her friends at her birthday party. I am always at least a year behind with what's new and popular, so I thought I'd ask for help. And again, we're on a very tight budget...

I think I am leaning towards jewelry type of items... or something that's actually useful rather than a decorative item.

I'm considering:

Washer Necklaces. I have everything except for the washers and the crystal stuff.
Bubble Charms: I don't have any of the supplies, except maybe the jump rings and lobster claw clasps. LINK I'm worried about the cost a little.
Bottle Cap Magnets or Necklaces: I'm worried about the cost. Is there a place to get bottle caps cheap?
Silk Flower Hair Clips: I'm kind-of wondering if these are still popular - the girls don't really seem to wear them anymore.

So, what do you think? Would one of these projects work better for this age group than another? Are there are fun crafts that are "IN" now that I'm missing out on?

TIA!

Read about , our 2 , our baby and our , at Sunny-Daze
Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

At one of my dd's friends parties they painted wood letter blocks. Each girl painted the first letter of their name, and they had colors to match each girls room. My dd loved this. She still has her pretty, big letter B sitting in her room.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Master Penny Pincher

We just did the washer neclaces for my 13 year old sister for her birthday and she was in love with them! The crystal stuff is about $8 for the bottles but it lasts forever, and the washers are super cheap.

Also for achievement days we have done a lot of things like flower clips for their hair (the burned edges ones), bracelets, and we are making magnet boards in the next few weeks as well. Apparently we are getting the metal for free from a scap metal place, just the ends they are throwing away.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Master Penny Pincher

This is a lot of the same lines as the washer necklaces, but I thought it looked
fun as well.
http://organizeyourstuffnow.com/wordpress/?p=18753

My twelve year old also wanted to make one of these...

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/embro...basket-995321/
Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Master Penny Pincher

There are lots of ideas but your washer necklaces are going to give you the biggest bang for the buck. The girls will love it and it won't cost you much at all. You could also do earrings to match the necklace.

Hair clips are still popular but your flowers may be more than you think. Plus the ribbon. They are still an inexpensive craft though. If you planned to do their school colors that would be fun.

Good luck. And have fun!

My Blog: http://4growingboys.blogspot.com/
Wish List / Trade List
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Penny Pincher

The washer necklaces are fun and cheap, but it seemed like they took a long time to dry and not very much time actually making the necklace.

Have you seen the bracelet beads that you make out of clay? We did these for a family thing and they were a lot of fun. We just rolled the clay in balls and then added designs to the balls. My younger girls just did polka dots, but the older nieces (10-14 year olds) did some really cute designs. When you are done you stick a toothpick through the ball, to create the hole in the bead, and stick that in a disposable pie plate and cook it in the oven to harden. Then we just strung them on some jewelry elastic. My sister is the one that was in charge of the activity, so if you want more details (how long to cook, temp, etc.) let me know and I will ask.

There is some clay on sale for 50% off at Joanns this weekend (25th-27th) that I think is the right kind of clay. I also received an email for an additional 25% off your purchase that is also good for this weekend. (I have been watching for a sale because I wanted to make some more.)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Master Penny Pincher

You have some cute ideas. I just thought I would tell you what we did for my DD's b-day. We modpodged scrapbook paper on clipboards. I already had 12x12" scrapbook paper that the girls could choose their favorite paper from. I bought $1 clipboards at Walmart. First cut the paper to size, plus a couple scraps to fit the very top. Apply modpodge to clipboard (not too much or it will be bumpy). Carefully put the paper on clipboard --smoothing from one end to the other--can even use a ruler to help with this. Let dry a little bit. Then use a fine sandpaper piece to sand the edges--if the paper is going over the edge at all, the sandpaper will smooth it off. Then, Modpodge over the top of the paper. This was what the girls took home--I didn't do any other party favor. So, I thought it was pretty affordable considering I spent $1 per girl.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Here's a couple links to show something like I was talking about:
http://site.scrapbookexpress.com/blog/?p=1062
http://www.craftbits.com/project/alt...book-clipboard
The project can range from very simple to quite complex--depending on what you want to do.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Master Penny Pincher

You could also have them decorate wooden blocks. The blocks are cheap and easy to cut. You can have them paint them and then decorate them with scrapbook paper, ribbons and buttons. Have whatever letters you are going to use pre-cut. You could do their initials. Or something like LOVE.

Sorry I can't find a picture. If I find one I will come back and post.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaisleysMom View Post
You could also have them decorate wooden blocks. The blocks are cheap and easy to cut. You can have them paint them and then decorate them with scrapbook paper, ribbons and buttons. Have whatever letters you are going to use pre-cut. You could do their initials. Or something like LOVE.

Sorry I can't find a picture. If I find one I will come back and post.
Great idea. Something like this....
http://4growingboys.blogspot.com/201...ing-fever.html

My Blog: http://4growingboys.blogspot.com/
Wish List / Trade List