Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default 1 c Oat groats = ? c rolled oats

I want to buy oats for food storage and am wondering if I should buy oat groats or rolled oats. I already have rolled oats and usually grind it in the blender anyway so it wouldn't matter using the whole groat or the flattened groat called rolled oats.

The bosch kitchen center by my house is having a sale this weekend. Here are the prices for the two:
Oat groats 50 lb bag = $33.99
Regular rolled oats 50 lb bag = $28.99

Which is a better deal? The groats are more expensive but am I getting more food? What is the ratio? If I have 1 c oat groats how many cups of rolled is equivalent?
Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Best Baby Deals Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipersnaz View Post
I want to buy oats for food storage and am wondering if I should buy oat groats or rolled oats. I already have rolled oats and usually grind it in the blender anyway so it wouldn't matter using the whole groat or the flattened groat called rolled oats.

The bosch kitchen center by my house is having a sale this weekend. Here are the prices for the two:
Oat groats 50 lb bag = $33.99
Regular rolled oats 50 lb bag = $28.99

Which is a better deal? The groats are more expensive but am I getting more food? What is the ratio? If I have 1 c oat groats how many cups of rolled is equivalent?
I don't know how many cups they would each equal, but since they are the same poundage the rolled is a better deal. I started storing whole oat groats because they have a longer shelf life. So you have to weigh which is most important for you.
I have been using up our rolled oats before using the whole oat groats, but I have been told that the fresh oat groats taste better. I know that when I poured my groats into a bucket they smelled better. It sounds silly, but they really smelled delicious, and I am not a big oatmeal fan, you can't get me to eat oatmeal, but I will use it in things....
Old 04-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s275hv View Post
I don't know how many cups they would each equal, but since they are the same poundage the rolled is a better deal. I started storing whole oat groats because they have a longer shelf life. So you have to weigh which is most important for you.
I have been using up our rolled oats before using the whole oat groats, but I have been told that the fresh oat groats taste better. I know that when I poured my groats into a bucket they smelled better. It sounds silly, but they really smelled delicious, and I am not a big oatmeal fan, you can't get me to eat oatmeal, but I will use it in things....
They are also A LOT better for you.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Master Penny Pincher

from what I found online, it looks like 1 c of oat groats would make 2 cups of rolled oats. another benefit of oat groats is they take up less storage space.

just curious - what brand of oat roller is everyone using? thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetmom View Post
They are also A LOT better for you.

My understanding is that both groats and rolled oats are similarly heat/steam processed in order to be shelf stable.

http://iprepared.blogspot.com/2009/05/oats.html
Old 04-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

[QUOTEjust curious - what brand of oat roller is everyone using? thanks![/QUOTE]

I would like to know also.