Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Families, Children, Babies, and more!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Default How can you loosen a child's baby tooth?

My son's adult bottom front teeth are coming in behind instead of beneath his baby bottom front teeth. I called the dentist, and this isn't a disaster, it just makes it more difficult for the bottom front baby tooth to fall out. If the tooth hasn't fallen out by July 9, we're going to have it removed. Yeeegers! I'd love some tips on getting that sucker to loosen up on its own!
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Funny you should mention this! I just noticed the same thing with my 6 year old daughter. I'm less concerned about the tooth falling out than the crazy misalignment of the new tooth...sure hope it moves forward a tad Not to mention I'm kicking myself for not getting the kids to the portrait studio in the last 2 years! Anyway, I looked around online, and many parents seem to have had the same thing happen. For the most part, it sounds like the new tooth still severs the roots of the baby tooth, so you will probably be fine. Some moms encouraged their kids to wiggle it back and forth each day, and they claimed it helped. Is his tooth loose at all? My daughter's didn't seem to be at first glance, but it quickly began wiggling.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Master Penny Pincher

This happened to my two older kids. My daughter ended up with hers getting pulled out by the dentist. My son's eventually came out on its own. We wiggled a lot on both kids, but I'm not sure that really made a difference.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

We had this same problem with DS #2. We called the dentist and he had us come in no charge to assess it. He said it wasn't a big deal and he could pull it if we wanted, but all we have to do is play with it. His instructions were to push on the tooth just until it is uncomfortable and hold it there for 30 seconds. Then to pull on the tooth just until it is uncomfortable and hold it for 30 seconds. Do this several times a day and it will come loose. Well low and behold about a week later out it came. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Thanks all for your suggestions! I'll definitely try them.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Master Penny Pincher

We have had this happen on 2 of my children. I told them to get those teeth out as soon as they could. One pulled both teeth out that night and one took about a week to get her teeth out, because her teeth were not as loose. Long story short, it is not a big deal. They will come out and your tongue pushes the bottom teeth into the right spot really quickly. I would have him wiggle it as much as possible and save yourself a dentist bill.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Master Penny Pincher

We've had this a few times. One kid had to get it pulled because the root was so long it wasn't gonna come out anyway. The next kid, I offered $ to them instead of paying the dentist if they could get it out - worked like a charm.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:58 PM

Ditto to everything already said. You can make them loose just by messing with them a lot. The roots are longer because the new permanent teeth haven't helped to disolve the roots of the baby teeth. I had my son lay down on my lap and I wiggled them for about 20 minutes each day. It didn't take long at all before they became loose.

My DS actually thought he was turning into a shark because he had two rows of teeth on the bottom.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Everything above... PLUS - eat lots of APPLES! lol Seriously, if they are "digging" with their teeth in apples, the apple meat (? is that what it's called?) will create resistance. Also, use floss!

I have had 2 kids w/ lost teeth, and apples, floss, wiggling, brushing and even bribes from Grandma, worked like a charm!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

I was a dental assistant years ago. When I "pullout" or "loosen" my kids (and a few friends/families kids) teeth I use a tissue and twist at the same time I pull on it. Does that make sense? You could do this a few times a day to try to loosen it.
If the roots have not desolved on their own that may be the problem of why it's not losening on it's own. It happen to 2nd DS- we did have to extract them and the roots on the baby teeth were all intact. That's why they wouldn't loosen on their own. Those dang roots wanted to stay planted. LOL! It happens sometimes. If that is the case you definately want to have them extracted if they don't come out on their own. It can lead to an abcess and/or the other teeth not having room to come in right. HTH