Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Religion

Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ede0117 View Post
But - my feelings are the same as yours. You are the parent and need to set the example. Breaking one small rule like this is showing them it's okay to lie about their age on the computer - which doing so could get them into a lot of trouble in the future.
Boy - this is a tough one. I never give my actual birthdate/year to ANY website. I know that a lot ask for age verification or marketing purposes. But because of hacking and privacy concerns, I don't want my actual birthdate/year floating around everywhere.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Why is it bugging me? I did use that term ("bugging"), in hindsight it's probably not very accurate.

In our ward, there has been much discussion about how to use FB as a way to share the gospel, be a good example, etc. One RS lesson resulted in a full on 20-30 minute debate about this very subject. We got a bit off-topic that week! Anyway, when that much attention is dedicated to FB, I guess I simply find it ironic that some of these people who are attempting to use FB in this way, have also lied to create their kids FB account (or allowed the accounts to be created, as the case may be). I find the situation ironic.

I guess another reason that I've been thinking about it is that one of my child's classmates Mom called me a while back and asked me if my daughter (10 at the time) had a FB account. I told her no, informed her about the age 13 rule, and said that my daughter would not be getting an account until she was 13. That Mom was so relieved because her daughter had been begging for an account and said that "all of her friends" had one, and her Mom was determined to find a friend that didn't have one. I'm glad we were able to be that friend.

The other part is simply that sometimes it's fun to debate. I like hearing other people's opinions. I acknowledged in my original post that it did feel weird to bring it up after the judging conversation, and I also acknowledged that it likely was none of my business.

I am also happy to hear that I am not completely alone in my way of thinking. I agree with many of you -- if it's OK to do FB before age 13, is it OK to date before age 16, etc. I just don't want to open that can of worms!!! Someone else mentioned the idea of lying about your age on FB may give kids the idea that it's OK to lie about your age on other sites that may be more dangerous (p o r n sites comes to mind). I hadn't thought about that situation at all! VERY good point, IMO.

For the record, I do not knowingly become friends with children on Facebook. I would not be surprised, however, if some of my game friends are children that aren't 13. If a friend request is received from a child, I just leave it alone - don't accept it, don't ignore it, it just sits. Honestly, I would rather only be friends with adults -- but I know that once my child is 13, if I receive friend requests from some of her friends, I will accept them. I think it's just easier to keep tabs on them that way.

I do think that bluebooks brings up an interesting point though...
... is it OK to fudge your age on a website ever?
... a lie is a lie right? if you fudge your age, you're still lying...

I have to admit, that I have less of a problem of mixing up my birthday for privacy/hacking reasons, but still... a lie is a lie. And I do think that there is a huge difference in perhaps saying that your birthday is 5/4/71 instead of 4/5/71... then saying that you are 13 when you are only 10. But again... a lie is a lie...

Thoughts?

Read about , our 2 , our baby and our , at Sunny-Daze
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebooks View Post
Boy - this is a tough one. I never give my actual birthdate/year to ANY website. I know that a lot ask for age verification or marketing purposes. But because of hacking and privacy concerns, I don't want my actual birthdate/year floating around everywhere.
I commented about this on my previous post, but I asked my husband his thoughts and this is what he said:

He felt that there was a distinct difference in the two situations -- in this example, you are fudging the truth because you are attempting to protect yourself from hackers, etc, and protect your privacy. You are keeping personal information about yourself from people that may use it against you. He believes that it is OK to do this.

In the case of lying about ages on Facebook or other sites, you are lying to obtain something that you are NOT meant to have access too. He believes that it is NOT OK to do this.

Just his .02. If it matters, he's not religious at all.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebooks View Post
I never do either. For me it is a privacy issue. For the same reason, I have a different name that I use just for promotional mailings, etc. When I sign my kids up for birthday clubs or whatever, I use their due dates instead of their actual birthdays. In my mind, there is too much risk having your real DOB out there - it is used so much for identity (and therefore identity theft) that I want to keep it private. I have no guilt whatsoever about doing it. That being said, my kids are not on FB, and won't be until they are older, even though all of their cousins (even the babies) have their own FB.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Master Penny Pincher

We do not.. and honestly my 12 year old asks about it ALL the time.

I feel like 13 is 13 period. I'm also not so sure my DD will get one when she is 13. I've seen WAY to many questionable aps, and NASTY NASTY spam messages! I can recognize the dangerous spam, but I look for spam pages for a living. I have also seen some friends of her friends post questionable comments.

I know I'm not protecting her completely from the crap but I can't imagine letting one more thing bombard her with nasty. When for now, I can stop it. They already get it enough from other media. I want her to stay little longer, not force her to grow up. I also know there is NO WAY I can tell for sure that she isn't seeing or participating in the nasty stuff.. There really isn't. She is smart, She knows computers almost as well as I do!!!

When DD asks why she can't, when 75 percent of her friends have them, I have to tell her that rules are rules in our house. It is up to their parents to set their own rules and it really is a family by family thing.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karana View Post
I commented about this on my previous post, but I asked my husband his thoughts and this is what he said:

He felt that there was a distinct difference in the two situations -- in this example, you are fudging the truth because you are attempting to protect yourself from hackers, etc, and protect your privacy. You are keeping personal information about yourself from people that may use it against you. He believes that it is OK to do this.

In the case of lying about ages on Facebook or other sites, you are lying to obtain something that you are NOT meant to have access too. He believes that it is NOT OK to do this.

Just his .02. If it matters, he's not religious at all.
I think that's a great distinction.

I love Facebook, and my kids can totally have an account (though they won't be allowed to play games) when they turn 13. If the rules allowed them to have an account now, I'd let them have an account now. I don't think this will even be an issue because our kids simply know that our family doesn't lie about stuff. We don't enter zip codes we don't live in to get cool coupons, we don't say we're 13 when we're not, we don't sample from the bulk bins at the store . . . I just don't think it'll be an issue.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggs View Post
we don't sample from the bulk bins at the store . . .
I don't know why, but this made me laugh...I guess it brings to mind a really funny image for some reason
Old 07-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Seems this may not be a problem for long http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=1009&sid=16490205
Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4crazyboyz View Post
Seems this may not be a problem for long http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=1009&sid=16490205
Interesting. I think it will take longer for him to fight it than he thinks, but if the law and/or rules change, I don't necessarily have a problem with it. My issue was with the blatant rule breaking.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Penny Pincher

I let my son who is 10 use a Facebook account that is mine but set up with his name. In other words, it is my email, my password, and my birthdate but it has his name on it. He does use it for games and is friends with a few people--primarily family members. Maybe I am splitting hairs about whether or not that is lying but I consider it my account that I allow him to use.