Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Penny Pincher

Default Murray School District

We are looking at a home in Murray and I am looking for opinions on Murray School District and Murray in general. Do you like such a small school district? Does the distrit have open enrollment? Are there special programs like ALPS and bilingual programs? Does the distrit have a preschool program? Are there schools you like/ones you don't?

Also any other info about what you like and don't like about living in Murray would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Absolutely LOVE Murray and the schools. My daughter has had phenomenal teachers. They have a Dual Immersion program (Spanish/English). Unfortunately, it started a year after she passed the age cut off for it (starts in 1st grade at our school).

I'm not sure what you mean by open enrollment so I can't answer to that. We just go to our neighborhood school.

There is a Murray Community Preschool that DD went to for two years. They are fabulous!

They have a Gifted & Talented program that is taught out of one school (McMillan Elem). I"m not very familiar with that program.

We've had no problems with it being a small district. In fact, I think I like that more than the large school district I grew up in. Admin seems more approachable.

We just love living in Murray. Our neighbors are wonderful, the school is great, the utilities are reasonable (Murray has it's own power company). We also like that it's so centrally located.

HTH a little. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I love the Murray district too. We actually live inthe Granite district, but after problems with bullying and boundary changes, I put my boys in Murray. Best thing I ever did. Naturally, DD8 followed them there when she started school. And she was able to get into the dual-immersion program when it started. When we move, I want to find a place where they can stay at the schools where they are, and get DD5 there too (she needs too many services for us to be accepted in the district).
Old 08-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Moderator/Professional Penny Pincher

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Murray school district and wish like you wouldn't believe that we could go back!!! Moving to the Jordan School District has not been a good experience. Had we known then what we know now, we would have probably rethought our decision to move.

If I had a chance to go back to Murray, I would do it in a heartbeat!