Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Religion

Old 10-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Penny Pincher

Agree to go to the Prinary Presidency for this problem.

My ward has this problem too. And even when a sub does say they'll fill in they will even not show up. Our ward also has a lot of people decline callings too.Feels like the same people are always the ones filling in and stepping up. And many has had the same calling for so long because it's so hard to replace them.

Our bishop in sacrament meeting has had to address this.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:46 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

OP, you've said that she was able to find a sub, so I'm assuming that her real problem is that she's torqued at the parents for all blowing her off. While some of them may have had valid reasons, it's likely others were just being selfish, as lots of people hate subbing in primary. (I'm one of them. I do it, but I hate it.)

I'm not going to offer solutions to finding a sub because I think she already has plenty. I will say that if I got this text, I'd guess that there was being a large breakdown in the teacher's personal life or testimony and that they were being stretched too far and/or about to leave the church. I'd ask the primary pres to get to the bottom of the situation because I wouldn't want my kid to spend two hours a day in the charge of someone so indifferent and flaky.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I just feel bad that she can't get a sub. It's interesting that 4 of the 5 parents have not Sunday calling's, but wont fill in to help their own child. It's sad really!

I thought it came out a few years ago as it was that all classes had to have at least 2 teachers anyway. Who know's I could be wrong, But our ward has to have 2 Primary teacher's, and we've done that for a good 3 years.

I wish her luck, she is in a hard position right now.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmom24 View Post
I just feel bad that she can't get a sub. It's interesting that 4 of the 5 parents have not Sunday calling's, but wont fill in to help their own child. It's sad really!

I thought it came out a few years ago as it was that all classes had to have at least 2 teachers anyway. Who know's I could be wrong, But our ward has to have 2 Primary teacher's, and we've done that for a good 3 years.

I wish her luck, she is in a hard position right now.
Two males are required in a classroom but sisters can serve alone.

Although it can be tough to find a parent to sub, I felt that frustration as the parent being the only one available all the time so everyone of my 3 children's teachers called me. I was subbing 2-3 times a month for different or even sometimes the same teacher. They called often and so I felt I was the go to person b/c I had a weekday calling.

I love primary but for me it was a respect issue. If the teacher cannot be there to serve then maybe they need to be released. If its once in a while like once a quarter, then it shouldn't be a problem but i agree with the others, the text/email is not appropriate.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I don't think that's the appropriate way to handle it either. She should let the presidency know. Although they probably already feel the frustration too.

I can so relate. Our ward has a really hard time finding people for any calling. When I was in the presidency there was always one person each Sunday that didn't bother getting a sub, or letting us know that they weren't going to be there. Every single Sunday we had to find a sub at the last minute. We even had a approved sub list. Those people got sick of being called so they told the Bishop to take them off the list. They didn't want to sub every single week.

After being released I was someone people called all the time. I also was a sub 3x a month. When I got called as a Sunday School teacher all the Primary teachers said "who are we going to call now?"

Sometimes I wish they would combine wards and make them bigger. When you have a ton of inactive people and a lot of in between it makes it really hard to fill callings. We always refer to it as "the same 10 people" They are the ones to fill all the hard callings, show to up to clean the church, feed the missionaries, do their callings faithfully and come to ward parties.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggs View Post
OP, you've said that she was able to find a sub, so I'm assuming that her real problem is that she's torqued at the parents for all blowing her off. While some of them may have had valid reasons, it's likely others were just being selfish, as lots of people hate subbing in primary. (I'm one of them. I do it, but I hate it.)

I'm not going to offer solutions to finding a sub because I think she already has plenty. I will say that if I got this text, I'd guess that there was being a large breakdown in the teacher's personal life or testimony and that they were being stretched too far and/or about to leave the church. I'd ask the primary pres to get to the bottom of the situation because I wouldn't want my kid to spend two hours a day in the charge of someone so indifferent and flaky.
Yup this.
And....
Perhaps they had something going on that week that would make it impossible for them to plan a lesson. Or they have something very trying going on in thier life and just this one more thing would send them over the top.
Her email is inappropriate and will cause drama that she could possibly end up having a chit chat with the bishop for. A little too "high school" drama for me.
Lame.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsmom928 View Post
Two males are required in a classroom but sisters can serve alone.

Although it can be tough to find a parent to sub, I felt that frustration as the parent being the only one available all the time so everyone of my 3 children's teachers called me. I was subbing 2-3 times a month for different or even sometimes the same teacher. They called often and so I felt I was the go to person b/c I had a weekday calling.

I love primary but for me it was a respect issue. If the teacher cannot be there to serve then maybe they need to be released. If its once in a while like once a quarter, then it shouldn't be a problem but i agree with the others, the text/email is not appropriate.
Oh Yea, I do remember that now. thanks for the clarification. I do remember someone in the ward saying that our Bishop was going to make the Sister's have 2 people teaching as well.
Seriously my brain isn't functioning at all
Old 10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I don't think that a teacher should only call parents. Just my opinion. We are all members of the ward and it is so helpful if we can call different people. Only calling parents does raise the frustration of finding a sub. Once I am not a parent of primary children, I would expect to still get calls to help in Primary.

I do know that many Primary Presidencies do tell teachers to call parents, so if this is the case in her ward, then she should contact the Presidency. I have only seen one counselor in a presidency ever sub, but I really respect her for stepping up in an emergency. I think that at times more presidency member should do this.

As someone who teaches often, I do not like the last minute combining of classes. Sometimes I am the sub and then suddenly I have the class that I prepared for and a whole other class also. I think if we really respect the time and effort a teacher puts in, we won't be asking them to suddenly cover another class of 9 kids. (Maybe I should have posted this last part under "Pet Peeves")
Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default I agree with this point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelated View Post
We always refer to it as "the same 10 people" They are the ones to fill all the hard callings, show to up to clean the church, feed the missionaries, do their callings faithfully and come to ward parties.
In our ward it is about 25% of the active members that do 110% of all the work. It's frustrating to a bishop (DH has been there) to get people to even accept callings, let alone fulfill them.

OTOH, those who are willing to sub (even over and over) will be blessed for their service, too. In our ward one of the Primary Pres comes into Relief Society to ask for helpers in a class or nursery if one of the teachers doesn't show up. Usually there is someone that pops right up to go and fill that place.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggs View Post

Thank you Heidi for always going to the root of the problem and reading between the lines.
Update: she didn't text it out, I offered to take her class with mine. That gave me 13 kids total, but I was will help out where needed. She always has her lessons prep in advance and a sub wouldn't have to do anything but look it over.
She rarely asks for a sub and when needed she doubles up classes as needed to help others out. 2 times it was due to sickness and another was going out of town to a funeral and this time happened to be her wanting to go to her nephew's farewell.
Her base problem was the parents of the few kids. And I did notice all those parents at church today. Two of them in the hall talking during 1 of the hours.
I think she will be talking to a pres member and I told another friend of mine who is in the pres that we need a updated calling sheet for the teachers again.