Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 11-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default "Fake" American girls dolls, which one is better?

My daughter isn't that into American girl dolls for my to justify spending so much on a doll but since she goes to sleepovers and alot of girls have 18 inch dolls (some real american girl and some fake so fake is not going to get teased) I wanted to get her one for chirstmas.
I bought one of those cheap springfield girl dolls at Michaels and the doll is fine but the hair is awful. It got all tangled and matted after a few weeks.

I have seen various 18 inch dolls around but don't know the difference. Dollie and me at kohls, My journey at toysrus, play wonder at target and madame alexander at costco and amazon. Is there anyone that you would recommend and why? They all seem to be in the same price range $25-$35.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Penny Pincher

We've gotten the 18 inch dolls from Costco and Target. I think the hair is more likely to get matted on all these less expensive dolls. My daughter took pretty good care of hers and the hair is still in decent condition. I was very grateful that she had no desire to spend the extra $$ on AG and just wanted some cute dolls.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

The hair on my little girl's Michael's doll is actually doing pretty well. We keep it in a ponytail, which seems to help.

You had me at "Free Shipping!"
Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Master Penny Pincher

We've been fairly happy with the Madame Alexander dolls (Costco, Avon and ToysRUs). I think they have the prettiest faces (more like a porcelain doll). I do keep the hair pulled back so it doesn't get tangled a lot, but it does vary with each doll and the type of hair. Our doll from TRU seems to be a lesser quality than the ones from Costco and Avon, but it could just be that it's my dd being so young. This year Costco does not have the selection they usually have, it's just been one doll instead of 5 to choose from.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiLynn View Post
The hair on my little girl's Michael's doll is actually doing pretty well. We keep it in a ponytail, which seems to help.
my dd really wanted a doll from Michaels, and it was the cheapest with a coupon. My neighbor had the doll that she wanted and I looked at it and the hair was horrible - but she played with it and brushed it a lot! I tried brushing it but couldn't even get my doll brush through it. I ended up getting her one from TRU, but I wish I had just gotten her the one she really wanted. The hair on the one from TRU hasn't been that much better. And she's asking for another doll this year (she's not getting it). I'm guessing it's the one from Michael's that she's still wanting.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I like the target ones