Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 03-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Question Missing Pinterest pins...what to do?

I have noticed a few pins in some of my boards missing. There are some that are blank and if I click on them they do go to the source, but some pins are just plain gone.
The whole genius point to Pinterest, IMO, is so I can keep all and everything in one spot and be able to refer back to it. It's a genius idea! I love it! I don't want to have to copy and put all of this stuff on my computer. I have almost 4000 pins (many now are missing, so I had many more) alone. That's a lot of computer space. My fear is because of a few people having issues (that's my nice word) more pins will disappear. Eeekkk!

My questions:
Have any of you thought about moving things to your hard drive or putting on a flash drive? Or what else have you done or thought about doing to keep your pins? I have also had a thought of, "What if one day Pinterest was gone?" What a nightmare that would be to me. It would be like PYP being gone. (Anxiety just thinking about both of those being gone.)

Disclaimer:
IMO I believe some of the missing pins are due to the giving credit to original owner and them being taken off. I totally get the whole issues some are having with giving credit to original work and I totally believe in giving credit where credit is due. A lot of the problems would be resolved if the original person would just put their name on it. Easy to do. I have actually put stuff on without a name and it really doesn't bother me I am just happy to share. Not to mention it may get some more traffic to their sites. Free advertising. But this thread isn't about the "issues" it's about making sure what I have pinned is still there or finding a way to keep it for future reference.

So, that being said, please keep this thread to original topic (and positive) without all the political mumbo-jumbo and the bashing if possible. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Penny Pincher

Sometimes when I use the iPad app I have that problem. I have not noticed it when I go to Pinterest through their URL. So sorry, really no help.

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I would suggest you submit a request to Pinterest at http://support.pinterest.com/anonymous_requests/new. I didn't see the topic at Pinterest Instant Answers.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I use Pinterest from time to time, but I am sure I still don't know all the ins and outs of it because I am not a frequent user.

One thought though, is it possible that for the pins that have completely disappeared it's because either the pin that you repinned was deleted OR the original source was deleted?

If the original source was deleted, the only way to keep that safe is to either save the entire html file (web page) to your computer, or print a copy of it. Or, those are the only ways that I know of...

Outside of using Pinterest, if you thought the issue was within Pinterest itself, would be to use good ol' "Bookmarks" which just save the "link" on your computer. But again, if the original source is deleted, you are still in the same boat... a missing pin. Really, that's all Pinterest is. They just make it prettier in that you can save images to go with your bookmarks and share your "pins" with friends.

Those are my thoughts... for whatever they are worth.

Read about , our 2 , our baby and our , at Sunny-Daze
Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hut View Post
I would suggest you submit a request to Pinterest at http://support.pinterest.com/anonymous_requests/new. I didn't see the topic at Pinterest Instant Answers.
Great idea! Thanks!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karana View Post
I use Pinterest from time to time, but I am sure I still don't know all the ins and outs of it because I am not a frequent user.

One thought though, is it possible that for the pins that have completely disappeared it's because either the pin that you repinned was deleted OR the original source was deleted?

If the original source was deleted, the only way to keep that safe is to either save the entire html file (web page) to your computer, or print a copy of it. Or, those are the only ways that I know of...

Outside of using Pinterest, if you thought the issue was within Pinterest itself, would be to use good ol' "Bookmarks" which just save the "link" on your computer. But again, if the original source is deleted, you are still in the same boat... a missing pin. Really, that's all Pinterest is. They just make it prettier in that you can save images to go with your bookmarks and share your "pins" with friends.

Those are my thoughts... for whatever they are worth.
That makes sense. Thanks for your thoughts.
Wonder if I can add to computer, save to jump drive and then delete from computer keeping all on my jump drive.?.? Um... At lease the important stuff I really want to keep.

I don't like bookmarks as I can never find or remember what I am looking for. Ha, ha! Too many bookmarks. That's why I love Pinterest. Organized, visual and more access to more stuff that would take forever to find.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Before Pinterest I just bookmarked the things I found. I made sure I had the original website it was shown on, and book marked that website. I don't know how much that takes away from my computer memory, or if it's just stored on the internet browser that I use. . . but I might start doing that with my absolute favorite Pins - just in case something does happen to Pinterest.

Proud to be an EOD Wife.
Mommy to one crazy little dancer and a new little one
and missing 3 angels