Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Default Wardrobe Essentials for SAHM

I've tried several times to follow wardrobe essentials lists, but something always stops me. This morning I realized it's because those lists are geared toward business women, and I have no use for various jackets, slacks, flats, pumps, etc.

I still want to look good, but I need to dress around the reality that I will spend a lot of time on the floor, that I will be moving and sweating a lot, and that I will be puked, peed, and poohed on at least twice a day.

So, that said, what are the "wardrobe essentials" of a SAHM who wants to look sharp but will be working hard in the trenches all day?
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

First one, obviously, is a good apron, so I've got one down!
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Master Penny Pincher

My favorite pants are black yoga pants. They are super comfortable yet with very little effort (like changing my shirt!) I can look a lot dressier. I get mine at Kohl's.
Other than yoga pants, I don't know what to tell you....I will be watching this thread to see what others say!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

structured shirts, maxi skirts, jeans

(Apron? Really? Huh. I don't know the last time I wore one!)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Master Penny Pincher

My answer is theoretical, because my wardrobe is a bit of a mess. I think layering is a good idea for moms of young children. Having lightweight button down shirts or cardigans to throw over plain cotton shirts can dress you up without much effort. I also like ballet flats or slip on leather shoes for when you leave the house.

Otherwise nice jeans and an abundance of cotton tees.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggs View Post
First one, obviously, is a good apron, so I've got one down!
Yeah, I figured that out a couple of years ago and wish I had figured it out when the kids were smaller. I always wear an apron when I do dishes and cook. I've saved several tops from splatters because of it.

I don't have much in the way of suggestions for actual wardrobe. I have several cute pairs of slacks, dresses and skirts and almost never get to wear them because they so don't fit in with my cooking, cleaning, playing life.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Master Penny Pincher

When I'm home, I dress in sweats, t-shirts and a sweater in the winter and shorts or capris and t-shirts in the summer. These pieces are nice and clean, not ratty looking. I don't wear jeans much because I don't find them that comfortable. I have a pair of comfortable inside shoes, too.
But if I go out anywhere, or if someone is coming over, I change.
I have a couple of pairs of what I call nice pants that I bought on sale at Kohl's with a 30% coupon and a 3-4 nice tops that I wear out. Recently I bought a really nice 100% cotton washable blazer-like jacket at Old Navy on clearance for $11. The key is washable. Then I have 2 pairs of what I call outside shoes.
You can always cover up stains with a nice scarf. Accessorize to your style: a couple of nice necklaces from places like Claire's or HM and you won't wreck your budget.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I like jeans with stretch so that I can move around in the day. I think a lot has to do with what you are comfortable in. I think you should look for things that look nice on your figure, fit with your personal style, and are comfortable enough to move. I don't have a recipe for that, but what I am wearing right now is:
-skinny jeans (that I can move in)
-zip up jackets (Columbia, Nike, etc.) over mod bod or similar shirts.
-Sorel boots
Everything was purchased at extreme discount. I admire the style of a lot of other moms, but I just wouldn't take that much time or effort over it. I save scarves and jewelry for Sunday or date night. When I go out, the jeans stay, but I may put on a sweater and leather boots. Not a lot of thought or effort...

Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I like to shop in the workout clothes section of the store. Yoga pants are a staple with me. A lot of people wear workout clothes in public so it transitions easy for errands. When I go to the kid's school I always wear jeans and a blouse. I like to add one of my scarfs because they are popular right now, distract from my belly in the front, and they make even something really basic seem a little dressier.

I wear a lot of grey (light or charcoal is my favorite) and brown because it seems to hide the most stains. I like those colors too so it is easier for me. I wear older and rattier stuff when I clean bathrooms--so if you come while I'm doing that you'd probably think I'm a bum!!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissen View Post
I like to shop in the workout clothes section of the store. Yoga pants are a staple with me. A lot of people wear workout clothes in public so it transitions easy for errands. When I go to the kid's school I always wear jeans and a blouse. I like to add one of my scarfs because they are popular right now, distract from my belly in the front, and they make even something really basic seem a little dressier.

I wear a lot of grey (light or charcoal is my favorite) and brown because it seems to hide the most stains. I like those colors too so it is easier for me. I wear older and rattier stuff when I clean bathrooms--so if you come while I'm doing that you'd probably think I'm a bum!!
During the day at home I have honestly toyed with the idea of getting one of those lunch ladies jacket aprons. Young kids are really messy and if I had 7-8 of those then I wouldn't have to wash my clothes as often so maybe I could buy nicer clothes and keep them nicer for longer. They come in really tacky patterns or I may have pursued it further. I should get a couple for when the kids are sick though. I figure I shouldn't feel pressure to be too glamorous. I am a nurse, maid, cook---if you think of what those individuals wear in a professional environment it makes more sense. Hey---maybe I should get some scrubs and wear them at home!!!