Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Failed homemade yogurt! HELP

Okay, so I have wanted to try homemade yogurt for a long time. Last night I finally did. I was so excited until I tasted the finished product this morning. It was so sour!! What did I do wrong? I followed the instructions to the tee (I thought) except that I used vanila yogurt instead of plain. Could that be my problem?
Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

First of all, don't feel bad. Sour isn't a fail. It's a flavor brought about by long, hot cooking, which makes sense if you were using any kind of device that generates heat rather than simply warming or maintaining what's already there. If you want a milder flavor, just cook it lower and/or shorter. I wrap my yogurt in a towel, put it in the oven, and flip the oven light on just before I go to bed. Very low heat produces less bacterial activity produces a very mild yogurt.

I bet your sour yogurt would make a great pancake or bread mix-in or be very good as a sour cream substitute.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Penny Pincher

Default yogurt

i have used the recipe from thefrugalgirl.com many times. super easy and uses a large cooler instead of the oven. never had any problems.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will have to try again.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPENPPM2502-HOTMAIL-COM View Post
i have used the recipe from thefrugalgirl.com many times. super easy and uses a large cooler instead of the oven. never had any problems.
Yes. Anything that keeps the temperature at 105-110 will work. I've used a cooler, an oven, a yogurt maker--some people even just put it outside on a really warm day!

I used a glass jug filled with hot water in a cooler packed with towels. I was stunned at how hot--not warm, HOT--everything still was the next day.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Here are some ideas of how to save what you've got when your homemade yogurt doesn't work out...
http://www.thankfullythrifty.com/201...hat-i-learned/
Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 PM

Use it as a sour cream substitute and put it in your baked goods. Yum! Anything with sour cream/yogurt is great!

Did your yogurt thicken? I made a batch that tasted ok but was super runny so I guess that I have a lot to learn as well.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM

It thickened up just fine, but was really sour. I threw it away,but at least I know what can be done if it is sour again!! Thanks for the ideas