Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 05-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default How long does it take to thaw a gallon of milk?

I froze milk for the first time. Now I need a gallon, how long is it going to take to thaw? Is it better to put it in the fridge or leave it out?
Old 05-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

I usually leave it out on the counter until it is more like a liquid. After that I put it in the fridge. Make sure to shake it up so that it does not have any floaties in it. HTH
Old 05-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Cut off the plastic part of the milk jug. Put the frozen milk into a large microwave safe bowl and thaw it out in the microwave.

Milk is always heated in the Dairy anyway and it won't hurt the flavor or taste at all. In fact the milk fat (floaters) will be liquified and mixed back into the milk.

You can pour the hot milk through a fine strainer to get out any tiny Floaters and put into a one gallon Rubbermaid jug. Let the milk cool down before putting into the fridge.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Wow I had no idea you could do that. Thanks
Old 05-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default cream

Can you freeze cream and thaw it by heating it and then chilling it??? Any luck doing this???
Old 05-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

I haven't but I'm hoping that someone knows a good way to do this. It would be so nice to be able to freeze extras when they go on sale.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Frozen cream can be used in cooked foods like caramels, chowders or gravy and also in baked sugar cookies or other baked treats. I don't recommend using it for whipped cream because of the separation of the milkfats.

I do use alot of frozen cream in Fruit Smoothies for a yummy rich flavor. The tiny milkfat floaters are well blended into the smoothie along with frozen fruit chunks so you don't notice them at all.

I don't like to heat the cream in the microwave, because it spits and spatters all over the place with the high fat content. I do thaw it out in the fridge overnight and have it ready for the next day. I have frozen cream in an ice-cube tray and then popped out the little cream cubes and put them in ziploc bags. It seems that 1 cube is the perfect amount for gravy and smoothies.

Caution- Don't let cream stay in the freezer for too long, it will go rancid and taste terrible. I can keep it for about 2 months maximum. If I freeze it in the cardboard cartons, then it keeps longer. I usually use it before the 2 months are up. I always date the package so I won't forget to use it quickly.

HTH