Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Question Help! Rice for 150-200 people??

Does anyone know or hopefully have experience in cooking (and keeping warm) enough rice for 150-200 people? I am Cubmaster and for our Blue and Gold Dinner next month we are having Hawaiian Haystacks. Any suggestions or alternate ideas? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

you can cook it yourself and keep it warm in foil pans. rice goes a long way. we have a rice cooker in our house which is the easiest way to cook it. btw- use medium grain rice only, you can normally find a good 10# ( i think its 10 or is it 20?) bag at costco or walmart. you can also find it at asian markets. it would help if you knew someone with a huge rice cooker, to make things go faster.

another option would be to order a pan of rice from a polynesian restaurant/market.

HTH
Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Rice is really easy to cook for a big group. You can use foil pans, put the rice and the water in the pan, cover with foil or better yet, another foil pan and cook on the top of the stove using two burners for the large foil pans. Cook on high heat until it is boiling then turn down to medium heat. When almost all the water in absorbed, turn off the heat and cover with foil. You don't need to keep the burners on at all. The rice will stay warm for at least 2 hours cooked and covered this way. This is a trick I use in my catering business all the time. HTH!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Check at the Smiths chinese food place. I haven't checked lately but they used to be really cheap and all you have to do is pick it up. We decided we could barely buy the rice for what they charged. I am a fan of convenience!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default Minute Rice!

I have cooked for large groups before and just boil water add Minute rice and cover. How easy is that! I got tons of minute rice on the last sale with the buy 1 get free brown rice! Rice does go a long way! I usually only need half of what I cook!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

I think itís a little easier to bake the rice when itís in large quantities. Also, use medium grain because itís more likely to cook evenly in such a large batch.

This fills two large roasters:

3 1/2 qts rice
7 qts water
7 tsp salt

Cover tightly and bake for 1 hour at 350.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Thanks. I needed this info also. My Blue and Gold is Feb. 27th. Maybe we should start a Cubmaster thread or Cub Scouts thread to share Ideas.

The theme for Feb. is Aloha Scouts.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Ours is Feb 1. All the leaders are in charge of bringing 15 cups! I'm been trying to figure out how to do that much since my rice cooker only does about 8. Anyway, this has been fun. I bet all the Utah groups are doing Hawaiian Haystacks! (BTW, when I lived in Hawaii, no one served Hawaiian haystacks!)
Old 01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Recipe

Can someone post their recipe for Haystacks? TIA
Old 01-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsscrapie
Can someone post their recipe for Haystacks? TIA
dsscrapie- All i do with haystacks is I make a chicken gravy (can use cream of chicken soup) with shredded chicken. I set that out along with rice, chow mein noodles, pineapple, mand oranges, chopped cucumbers tomatoes green peppers, olives, grated cheese, raisins, coconut. I even like ranch dressing too. Just put out whatever you and others might like. HTH!