Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 02-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Quantity cooking - How many people does 1 lb. of chicken feed?

We're still working on our Blue and Gold Banquet menu. We will probably have orange chicken. Anyone have experience in quantity cooking? We're probably serving about 75 people and I'm wondering how far a lb. of chicken will go. We're talking cub scouts and families, not all teenage boys. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

4 oz. per person is about the size of the palm of your hand - boneless breast meat

4 people per Pound
Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

4 people per pound of boneless chicken - right lazybear? If you buy chicken on the bone then you need to account for more per person I would think.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default I checked

our elementary school cookbook that just came out and it says for chicken or turkey for 50 servings you need 25-35 lbs. and for 100 people 50 to 75 lbs. That is what it says. I suppose that you can find a happy medium. Check the internet and do a google search. I do that for everything!!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

4 oz. is only 1/2 Cup, that is a pretty small amout for an adult serving. I always use real measurement, which to me is cook up a batch, weigh it, (or check the package for weight) and divide, then multiply by the number of people you need to feed. I would strongly encourage that you have a person serving the chicken in your food line, especially in this kind of a crowd where the kids are not always helped by an adult. I have seen many church functions go down the tubes with not enough food because of kids taking huge portions and then not even eating it. So have your server plate the rice then top with orange chicken and you should be good.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

4 ounces IS a serving, but in the US we don't eat just one serving size. Most people would take one look at 4 ounces and then take two helpings because they think one is just too small.