Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Photography

Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default What are your favorite color combinations for family portraits?

We're having our family photo taken at the end of this month. We haven't had a professional family picture in years. I have 3 teenage boys and 2 daughters ages 9 and 6. I'm having a hard time deciding what to wear. I haven't decided on formal or casual, but probably casual dress. I know that long sleeves look best and the colors need to harmonize, but it seems that my girls wardrobes have more color options than my boys. The pictures will be at an indoor studio.
We all have khaki pants, but I don't want to seem too matchy matchy. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Great post, I struggle with this every time! My sister did the BEST photo, it was outdoors and they did a lime green color with white, they might have had a third color in the mix either khaki or denim mixed in there, I'll have to ask because it has been a while. But the picture was a summer picture, outdoors, and the green with the white was just stunning, they did different combinations which was the key, some had the green in a shirt, vest, skirt, etc. Anyway, lime green (that fun summer green) with white, add a third like khaki or denim if you want. They are all mostly shades of blond so the coloring was great, but a fun brighter picture than you see with the "safe" neutrals. Loved it!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

My parents got us all together for pictures a couple years ago. We had them, me and my three sisters, our husbands, and ten grandkids. It was a little crazy. My parents didn't want us to sink money into new clothes, so they just said anything khaki, navy, or red would be good. It ended up looking classy without to matchy. When my DD#2 was born we did a family picture. Just me, DH, and the two girls. We did levis and white shirts. Very basic. It turned out soooo cute.
www.kyandsavvy.blogspot.com
Old 02-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Master Penny Pincher

We have had a few family pics taking and they all have turned out great. One was formal and we were all in black and white. One was khakis with a bright pastel colored shirts and then we did one for a wedding. That one was reds and blacks. My fave has been the colors because it is a very fun pic to look at and not to matchy matchy. We did one for just our family and we were all in jeans. There were just three of us at the time so one was in red, one in blue and one in white.
Let us know what you pick!!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Master Penny Pincher

We've done kahki pants and white shirts before. It looked great. We've also done levis and black shirts and that was wonderful as well. For dressy we've done the guys with the same color dress pants and white shirts and matching ties and then the girls dresses were the colors in the men's ties. That works well also.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Photographers have told me that Burgandy or Wine is very flattering in photos. Apparently the color reflects back on the face and gives a warmer tone to the skin. During the winter months everyone is very pale and the faces/skin looks washed out in the photos.

Another color they suggest is Plum or a darker Purple Blue.

I've always loved photos where the family members are in Jewel Tones - ruby, emerald, sapphire, navy, topaz, rusty brown..etc. with black pants.

If you have a tan or darker skin, white looks informal and fresh.

Make sure everyone follows one simple guideline: Wear solid colors. Stripes, sports logos, polka dots, and plaids act as distractions, pulling the viewer's eye away from your subject.

Think in black and white tones; if everyone wears dark blue and one person wears white, the eye will be drawn to the person wearing white. If there's a reason that one person should stand out, then do it. If not, change your color selections.

Denim in any color for pants and jackets works well. It's classic, it's informal and it comes in lots of great colors. Best of all, it never goes out of style.

Color Palettes for group or family photos:
1 Darker Blues/Wines
2 Rusts/Browns
3 Outdoor Palette Spring/Summer Girls
4 Outdoors Near Water or Sandy Beach
5 Outdoors Autumn
6 Blues/Greens photos near water
7 Roses to Wine Romance
8 Impact -Girls
9 Impact - Boys
10 My Favorites for Dressy photos
11 My Favs for Autumn / Fall
12 My Favs ~ Fresh & Clean
Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Master Penny Pincher

We did jeans (skirts or pants) and white shirts. It went from polos to button ups . then my DDs and VERY little pick accents (a pink belt, pink ribbon in hair etc...) and my DS and DH had a littl e bit of blue accent (both a little bit in the shirt). We also had them printed in sepia and they were adorable. I would definately think about doing this again. It worked out great.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

We just recently had a family pic taken and we did the white shirts and jeans combo with bare feet. It turned out really cute. (You couldn't really see anyones feet but my daughters.) Check out my blog if you want to see how it turned out. www.hms-rms.blogspot.com We've also done red for the girls and navy blue for the boys with jeans. Turn out nice as well. Other combo's we've tried, navy blue and kahki, emerald green and navy (Dressy pic) and kakhi pants with white shirts. Pictures are always a source of conflict in our household. DH hates pictures. Good luck! let us know what you picked.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

We're doing outdoor photos this spring and will be doing a combo of linen blue, white and khaki. There will be alot of color from flowers etc. 2 of my DD will be in white, 2 other DD will be in blue dresses (different styles but same colors). DH is in white shirt and khaki pants and DS will be in a blue shirt and khaki pants. I'm either wearing a white dress or white shirt and blue skirt. I think you should go for colors that you naturally like to wear anyway. We all have blue eyes and blonde/strawberry blonde hair so I think these colors will really accent us and the spring scenes around us.....cross my fingers and hope they turn out!
Old 02-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear
Photographers have told me that Burgandy or Wine is very flattering in photos. Apparently the color reflects back on the face and gives a warmer tone to the skin. During the winter months everyone is very pale and the faces/skin looks washed out in the photos.
Couldn't agree more! I worked at a portrait studio and when asked by customers what colors would look good we always suggest darker reds for anyone because it is so flattering.

Also to avoid a matchy-matchy look I would suggest that everyone have a color theme and use it in their dress. For example if you used purple, have one girl in a purple dress,a boy in a purple top, someone with a purple vest etc.. the "such and such color shirt with such and such color bottoms" can come across flat and clone-like in photos with more than 3 people.

We had an extended family portrait done recently and everyone was told to bring one casual outfit and one a little more formal. Nothing matched and it looked so goofy! But, I do enjoy one of the shots because everyone's personality comes through in their clothing (the MIL in a bright Hawain top, FIL in one of his many many many stripped short-sleeved polos..lol) I DO NOT suggest this "choose whatever" style, even if it does have a character of its own added to the pics.