Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals

Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Penny Pincher

Question Lindon cannery chicken vs Costco

Has anyone unit priced the canned chunk chicken to see which is the better deal between Costco and the cannery? I thought I had it figured out that the cannery was better, but I misplaced that info.

Also wondered, is there a quality/taste difference? we've had the Costco but not the cannery chicken before. We're planning to buy 2 cases of chicken at the cannery on Tuesday, but if it's better priced at Costco we'll wait and save our pennies! Thanks for any info!
Old 04-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Personally, I will pay a little more for Costco canned chicken. According to my taste buds, it is a lot better! I also have found much less fat in the Costco cans than the cannery cans. If you can find someone who will let you try one of their cannery cans I would do that just to see how you like it before investing in a couple of cases.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

I don't know about a price comparison or actual taste comparison but I use the cannery chicken and like it. I also have used store bought chicken and like it too. guess that really doesn't help much
Old 04-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Penny Pincher

I bought the cannery chicken last fall from the Ogden cannery and the price was cheaper from the cannery than from Costco. Personally I like the cannery chicken and my family seems to like it also. I use is for lot of things including casseroles if I don't want to cook chicken.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrcar
Personally, I will pay a little more for Costco canned chicken. According to my taste buds, it is a lot better! I also have found much less fat in the Costco cans than the cannery cans. If you can find someone who will let you try one of their cannery cans I would do that just to see how you like it before investing in a couple of cases.

Ditto. My kids think the cannery chicken tastes like tuna. (Not a compliment in our house, LOL!)
Old 04-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Master Penny Pincher

We also like Costco's canned chicken better, and I am usually not picky about brands.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:14 PM

I know this is a little off the subject, sorry, but does anyone know how long the cannery meats are good for? I have 2 cases of pork and turkey chunks I bought in 2002, I didn't know what to use them for/or in - stupid I know, but now I wonder if I should throw them out? I opened a can when I first bought them and thought the meat looked weird - lots of fat, so I kinda forgot about them. Any advise would be great. TIA!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

I got chicken from the Lindon cannery several months ago and paid 31.20 a box. That works out to 1.30 a can. There are 24-14.4oz cans in a box. I have not used it yet so I can not tell you if it is fatty but I did see the chicken that they used for the canning before processing and it did not appear fatty to me. In the forums there is a post for Costco prices and it says on 4/08/08 Costco chicken was 11.95 for 6-12.5oz cans which would be 1.97 a can
Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Cannery Chicken

I went and canned the chicken at the cannery and thought there was a lot of fat in it they said not to take it out that it gives it the moistness and that when it cooks it will all go to the top and when you open the can to pour it off I put it in thestrainer and rinse it and love it. I make the chinese hay stacks with it chicken enchiladas.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM

My family prefers the cannery chisken too! It is cheaper and the taste is much better. Also, if you have used the Kirkland chicken for Costco, you will remember it is really stringy - the texture is just really different than any other chicken I have used. The cannery chicken does have some hardened fat on the top that usually sticks to the top lid for me. I drain it a bit to get the rest out. Hope that helps!