Thread: Cakes!!
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
I have several cakes that I need to make this year. From birthday cakes to a bachlorette party cake. And I was wondering what yalls fav recipies are. From icings to cakes. The only thing I can't work with is strawberries. I will be making these in my home and my husband is severly allergic to them so I don't have them here just to be on the safe side. Everything else is fair game. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I have a buttercream recipe that I love to use. I don't really like the wilton buttercream at all. After trying several recipes I found this one and have been using it for 2 + years now. Even my Dad who usually scrapes ALL the frosting off had some and said it was pretty good.

1 stick butter, softened
12 oz. Crisco
Beat these together until smooth and creamy. To this add:

dash salt
2 tsp. creme bouquet flavoring
2 lbs. confectioners sugar
1/4-1/2 C. heavy cream (less for stiffer decorating frosting, more for thinner, more spreadable frosting)
Mix on low for 3-5 minutes. The longer you mix the whiter it gets, but you will also incorporate more air bubbles. I usually like to make mine at least a day ahead so it can "settle" a bit. This stuff stays good out on your counter at room temp. for at least a week, in the fridge several weeks or in the freezer several months.