Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Pennsylvania's Screaming Deals

Old 01-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

I look at the grocery guide a bit, but I pretty much get the same products all the time, so I just look for deals on those particular products. I only get the Sunday paper($35-3 months?), and yes, the Times is the only choice. I get 2-3 coupon inserts every week. And that's when you get most grocery ads, except Giant Eagle comes in the mail.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

do you have any kind of a price list of what you usually pay for the things you buy?

The prices seem a little bit higher here to me than they were in Utah.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

sorry, it's $35 for 6 months.

I don't really have a price guide but I'll give you some gernerals.

Name brand pop i wouldn't pay more that $3 for 12 cans. Sometimes you can find it for as low as $2.50, but not so much any more. Before coupons.

Red Barren Pizza is 4/$10 this week ar Giant Eagle and I've never seen a better price. I also have $.75 coupons that I get inside thier pizza.

You can usually fine ground beef 90%lean for $1.99/lb if you wait for the sale. Wegmans has this sale all the time.Giant Eagle has it occationally.

I usually buy frozen Chix breast and Giant Eagle has BOGO for a 3lb bag -or I get it at Sams Club. It costs a little bit more, but it's leaner.

Oh, and Smith's hotdogs are the best, thier a local brand. Don't buy them at Giant eagle!!! I get mine at Sams Club, thier much cheaper.

You can often find brick cheese for the equivalent of $4/lb. Sometimes even $3/lb plus any coupons.

I buy pretty much all my cleaning supplies, beauty products, paper products at Walmart. They take coupons and tend to have lower prices generally.

You can definitly get some better prices shopping at the discount store, but I usually don't because I have two small kids and I can't shop more than one or two places a week. There's Aldi's and Save a Lot and a discount bread store. They usually don't have name brand products so you won't be able to use coupons, but I think they accept them. Although be aware that the produce at Aldi's, although very cheap, will go bad quickly. So it better be part of your meals within the next few days.

I must admit, my family, especially my husband, have specific products that we won't comprimise on. We have to have name brand OJ, mac'n cheese, yogurt...so I try to get the best prices on those products but I won't buy a screaming deal on other similar products.

Well, I hope this helped. Let me know if there's something else specific you need to know.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 PM

thanks that was very helpful.

I have small children too so running to a bunch of stores gets hard for me.

Luckily I live near quite a few.

I think I got a bad deal on the newspaper--$22 for three months. Maybe I should get a longer subscription next time.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default coupons and compare

The Grocery Game is where you can get coupons and compare them against the sales ads but it's $10 for 2 months subscriptions.
I'm in Wilkes-Barre, Pa and most of the stores have websites that you can get the sales flyer emailed to you.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:04 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Hi all another newbie for a bit further south. (Millersburg)

There is a coupon organizer on www.cutouthunger.org that is a searchable database for coupons according to which weekend paper's insert it was in and it is free. They also have stores listed that you can compare to the sales fliers, but none of the stores in my area are listed, so I do an online shopping list on my fav store's web site (The non-eagle giant) and in the notes section, I cut and paste the info for the coupons. All other stores I just write it in the flier next to the products ad. Seems to work for me so far...
Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Hi all another newbie for a bit further south. (Millersburg)

There is a coupon organizer on www.cutouthunger.org that is a searchable database for coupons according to which weekend paper's insert it was in and it is free. They also have stores listed that you can compare to the sales fliers, but none of the stores in my area are listed, so I do an online shopping list on my fav store's web site (The non-eagle giant) and in the notes section, I cut and paste the info for the coupons. All other stores I just write it in the flier next to the products ad. Seems to work for me so far...
I have checked that website and the coupon database for pennsylvania never matches my inserts quite right. Do you have that problem?

Also, what is the difference between giant and giant eagle?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn3
I have checked that website and the coupon database for pennsylvania never matches my inserts quite right. Do you have that problem?

Also, what is the difference between giant and giant eagle?
So far it seems to match up pretty good for me, but I have only been doing this for a few weeks at this level.

I am not too sure what the difference is, since I have never been to a giant-eagle. This is our version: Giant Food Stores
Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Giant Eagle and Giant are two totally different stores. I've never been to a Giant, mostly because there's none in this area. But I've heard of Giant before.

FYI for Erie-ites, the Yorktown Giant Eagle is a franchise, while the rest are part of the chain. The only reason I mention this is that they carry some different products and not necessarily everything the other stores do.(especially with specialized products: low-carb, lactose free...)
Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Just wanted to say Hello !
I'm from Pittsburgh. And new to the whole coupon world. But I'm learning fast.