Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default ISO: Great whole grain sandwich bread recipe

I'm spending $7 for 2 loaves of Daves Killer Bread at Costco. I would love to make something similar to make. I have a whole wheat recipe, but it is really sweet and dense. It's fine with PB&J, but it doesn't go well with turkey & other meats. My son is trying to gain weight with a nutritionist, and we use 7+ slices of the Dave's bread per day. It is super expensive!!!

Does anyone have a great healthy sandwich bread? I'm looking for something that is lighter on the inside and not as sweet. Thanks!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Penny Pincher

I make my bread from scratch, I don't know if this will fit the bill or not, but here's my recipe.

6 cups hot water
2/3 cup dry milk
1 Tlb salt
3 Tlb sugar or honey
4 cups whole wheat flour
mix and then add:
3 Tlb yeast
and more flour (wheat and or white) until the right consistency
I've also added, depending on what I have: oatmeal (cooked if I have leftovers, or not) or flax seed. I'm sure you could add other grains you have on hand, test it until you find what you like. I would just use a majority of wheat or white flour.

This makes 5 loaves of bread, cooked after it raises (only raise wheat bread once in the pans, no raising before in the bowl) at 350 for 30 minutes.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM

I make one with 9 grain cereal. It's great for sandwiches.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtonathanandtwins View Post
I make one with 9 grain cereal. It's great for sandwiches.
Do you have it posted somewhere?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcmerrell View Post
I make my bread from scratch, I don't know if this will fit the bill or not, but here's my recipe.

6 cups hot water
2/3 cup dry milk
1 Tlb salt
3 Tlb sugar or honey
4 cups whole wheat flour
mix and then add:
3 Tlb yeast
and more flour (wheat and or white) until the right consistency
I've also added, depending on what I have: oatmeal (cooked if I have leftovers, or not) or flax seed. I'm sure you could add other grains you have on hand, test it until you find what you like. I would just use a majority of wheat or white flour.

This makes 5 loaves of bread, cooked after it raises (only raise wheat bread once in the pans, no raising before in the bowl) at 350 for 30 minutes.
Thanks for posting that, I'll give it a try! I'm not one for experimenting in the kitchen, but that's probably what I need to do!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Master Penny Pincher/Moderator

This looks similar. Although I would leave out the poppy seeds. We love Dave's Killer Bread. Wish they would sell the Peace Bomb bread locally. That stuff is truly killer.

http://www.healthymomskitchen.com/he...-bread-recipe/
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I just made this for the first time last night....in my bread machine.

I love how it turned out! I'm making my second loaf right now! (if you like it more moist....add more oil (shortening....I used coconut oil)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-w...arch%20Results

Original recipe makes 1 - 1 1/2 pound loaf
Makes servings USMetricAdjust Recipe (Help)

1 1/8 cups water

3 cups whole wheat flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/3 cup honey

1 tablespoon dry milk powder

1 1/2 tablespoons shortening

1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions
  1. Place ingredients in bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select Whole Wheat setting, and then press Start.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 AM

If you want it to be biter (more of a crunch) use the cracked cereal as it will not soften all the way. If you want it to be more soft use the finer grade of cereal.

makes 2 9 by 5 inch loaves

1 1/4 cups 9 grain (you can use 7 or 8 grain too) hot cereal mix NOTE: don't confuse this with breakfast cereal. Bob's Red Mill and Arrowhead Mills are two easy to find brands of this cereal mix. I've seen/bought them at Harmon's, Smiths and Winegar's.

2 1/2 cup boiling water

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting surface

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

4 tablespoons honey

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast

1 tablespoon salt

3/4 cup unsalted pumpkin or sunflower seeds (you don't have to add these, I've made the bread with and without and its fine either way)

1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats or quick oats

Step 1:
Place cereal mix in a bowl of standing mixer and pour boiling water over it; let stand, stirring occasionally, until mixture cools to 100 degrees and resembles thick porridge, about 1 hour. Whisk flours in medium bowl.

Step 2:
Once grain mixture has cooled, add honey, melted butter, and yeast and stir to combine. Attach bowl to standing mixer fitted with dough hook. With mixer running on low speed, add flours 1/2 cup at a time, and knead until dough ball forms, 1 to 2 minutes; cover bowl with plastic and let dough rest 20 minutes. Add salt and knead on medium low speed until dough clears side of bowl, 3 to 4 minutes (if it does not clear sides, add 2 to 3 tablespoons additional flour and continue mixing); continue to knead for 5 more minutes. Add seeds and knead another 15 seconds. Transfer dough to floured work surface and knead by hand until seeds are evenly dispersed and dough forms smooth taunt ball. Place dough into greased container with a 4 quart capacity; cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, 45 to 60 minutes.

Step 3:
Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 9 by 5 inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and pat into 12 by 9 rectangle; cut dough in half crosswise with knife or bench scraper. Shape loaves and roll loaves in oats to coat and place in pans. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double in size 30-40 minutes. Dough should barely spring back when poked with knuckle. Bake until internal temperature registers 200 degrees on instant read thermometer, 35-40 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire rack before slicing, about 3 hours.