Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Party and Event planning

Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiscrapital
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful suggestions! I love love love the idea to shape the butter into cute molds and freeze them - I will have to do that for sure. And it's funny, but I would have never even thought to prep everything the day before so that it's ready the next day, so I'll also do that. Setting out the dishes, serving pieces, and setting the table the night before will also help cut back on the stress. I've assigned my MIL the pies and my SIL one side dish. We have a VERY small family (there are only 6 adults and 1 child total), so luckily I don't have to cook for a huge group. Whew! My grandma passed away a couple months ago, and I have all of her original recipes, so this is my way of remembering her. I think I'll stick with the basics... turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, slushy drink in a punch bowl, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, a relish tray, and a couple of casserole-type items. Oh boy, now I'm getting really excited and less nervous!
How fun for you! I love hosting Thanksgiving - especially for a smaller group! It's just special and fun to provide a nice meal for your guests, and this year sounds meaningful for you! Enjoy your day!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Just wanted to say Good Luck! I've been married for 16 years, and haven't had to do Thanksgiving yet. It sounds like you're going to do a wonderful job! (Can we come?)

You had me at "Free Shipping!"
Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Master Penny Pincher/Moderator

I Just came across this info

Week before Thanksgiving

* Order your turkey/s—figure about 1-1.5 pounds per person, but if you like leftovers as much as my family, you’ll buy an entire extra turkey
* Start thinking about your menu. Technically, you don’t have to commit until your grocery store trip, but it helps to have time to brainstorm and not feel rushed
* Give guests ideas for dishes they can bring

Week of Thanksgiving

* Take inventory—make sure you have the items you need in your pantry (spices, canned items, etc.) and pots, pans and other utensils
* Clean out your fridge to make room
* Buy all the non-perishable ingredients you’ll need. Unless you enjoy the fighting with old ladies over the last can of pumpkin filling or hauling and unloading 200 pounds of groceries the day of. And don’t forget the booze—you’re gonna need it.
* Begin to thaw your turkey/s—figure 24 hours of thaw time per five pounds of turkey

2-3 days before Thanksgiving

* Cook the things that will keep well in the fridge or freezer, such as pies, casseroles, sauces and anything else you can think of

Day/night before Thanksgiving

* Purchase all the fresh items you still need (lettuce, freshly baked bread, etc.)
* Start preparing by chopping veggies, setting ingredients out, etc.

Thanksgiving

* If you can’t figure this out by now you’re screwed
* Actually, there is one thing you should know—you’ll need to start preparing your turkey/s 5-7 hours before dinner time, depending on the size
Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Penny Pincher

.... one more thing my MIL forgot her first time hosting:

TAKE THE TURKEY OUT OF THE FREEZER TO THAW AT LEAST TWO DAYS BEFORE THANKSGIVING!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehappy03
.... one more thing my MIL forgot her first time hosting:

TAKE THE TURKEY OUT OF THE FREEZER TO THAW AT LEAST TWO DAYS BEFORE THANKSGIVING!

Depending on the size of the turkey, it might need up to 4 or 5 days to thaw. Like lp2 said, allow 24 hours for every 5 pounds of turkey. (just put it in the fridge )
Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiscrapital
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful suggestions! I love love love the idea to shape the butter into cute molds and freeze them - I will have to do that for sure. And it's funny, but I would have never even thought to prep everything the day before so that it's ready the next day, so I'll also do that. Setting out the dishes, serving pieces, and setting the table the night before will also help cut back on the stress. I've assigned my MIL the pies and my SIL one side dish. We have a VERY small family (there are only 6 adults and 1 child total), so luckily I don't have to cook for a huge group. Whew! My grandma passed away a couple months ago, and I have all of her original recipes, so this is my way of remembering her. I think I'll stick with the basics... turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, slushy drink in a punch bowl, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, a relish tray, and a couple of casserole-type items. Oh boy, now I'm getting really excited and less nervous!

Would you mind posting the recipe for the slushy drink? I like the idea of trying out one new recipe along with all the old favorites and would like to try a yummy slushy drink this year. Thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Master Penny Pincher

After 15 years, this will be my first time hosting as well. Thanks for all the tips. The only one I can add is to let people help. If they offer to bring sides, let them. I know when I go to someone else's house I always bring food to help because it makes me feel like I'm contributing and it takes some stress off the host.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightwadmomof5
Would you mind posting the recipe for the slushy drink? I like the idea of trying out one new recipe along with all the old favorites and would like to try a yummy slushy drink this year. Thanks
Sure! Here you go...

5 oranges
5 bananas
5 lemons
5 cups sugar
7 cups water

Bring sugar and water to a boil. Mash and juice fruit. Mix well with sugar water. Pour into a baking dish or ice cube trays and freeze. Fill glasses half full of frozen mixture and top off with ginger ale or sprite and serve. You can also serve this in a punch bowl. It's very easy to make ahead of time in ice cube trays, then transfer the cubes into freezer bags and store until you're ready to serve.

Note: I had some pineapple chunks in the fridge that needed to be used so I threw those in there as well. I also think my grandma usually juiced the oranges, but I used the entire orange (except the peel, of course) and blended them along with the bananas and lemon juice.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 AM
claire05

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties View Post
Homemade butter? Wow -- you are going all out.

1. Let people bring something and help you. Pies and sides are good choices to delegate.
2. Focus on the things you want to be really great. (Hot rolls vs. homemade butter. People will notice the hot rolls, but probably won't notice the butter -- unless it's missing totally.)
3. Get out your serving dishes and servingware a day or the evening before. Put post it notes on each one, so you know what to use for each dish. You won't be searching for spoons or platters etc on the big day.
4. Don't try to do too much; just stick with the basics and make sure they are really great.
5. Have fun and don't stress.
Useful! Thanks!