Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Party and Event planning

Old 12-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkng4deals
We got the small tiles (I think they are 3"x3") and had I Am A Child of God in vinyl on them then attached a magnet. Cheap, easy & cute.
Thanks for all the ideas so far! Do you have a ballpark figure of how much these ended up costing? We have a big primary and not a big budget so we are kind of limited in how much we spend. Also, where did you buy your vinyl? Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Our ward dose the bishop ticket thing... As a parent thought i have to remind them each year to try not to do food... or to remember that my kids cant eat it... Imagine how it feels to not be able to eat your birthday gift... I think that is why the no food rule was implemented and yes it was to be church wide... but it unfortunately is not fol owed. * snif snif *
Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

We have been doing pencils but I think next year we are going to give the children a bookmark that says Happy Birthday on it.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapchic
We give them a ticket to take to the Bishop's office. They redeem it for a candy bar (which we provide). Not only do they get candy, but they get to have a special moment with the Bishop.

Awesome idea! I think we will use this whether we do a candy bar or something else
Old 08-15-2010, 03:43 PM

This year we did something SO FUN that the kids LOVED! We got some little things to fill a can with (a real cannery can that you have to open with a can opener!) and went to the cannery and had them sealed. The kids love the element of surprise, AND it doesn't end up being a distraction during primary because they can't open it until they get home. So fun. We just made our own labels.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Our ward gives each child a packet of kool-aid with a note that says "We're pleased as PUNCH it's your birthday!" It is cute and cheap.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Penny Pincher

When I was visiting another ward, they gave the kids "necklaces" made from plastic wrap, yarn, and other small treats/prizes. To make them you would get a longish piece of plastic wrap and then place your small treats/prizes (think erasers, taffy, etc) about two inches apart down then length of it. Then you would roll the small treats/prizes up in the wrap; taking the yarn, tie between each treat/prize to create individual compartments and then tie the ends of the "necklace" together. They were really cute and the kids loved them.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyem
I've heard from other people to just keep it simple & hand out candy. But, we've been told not to pass out treats. I don't know if that's just our Stake or if it's in the handbook or where that came from, but that's why I've been scrambling for other ideas. Good luck!
The handbook does instruct teachers not to pass out treats UNLESS it is conneted to the lesson somehow, and to make sure to ask the presidency or parents about any food allergies. Food allergies is one of the main concerns I think. I'm sure that candy necklacesa for birthdays wouldn't be a problem, even in your ward.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyem
I did this same thread a couple weeks ago. . . I think we're going to go w/ a rainbow pop-a-point pencil at http://eaglemtn.biz/3.html (the very bottom pack). If you order from him, you get 20% off, so they're 80 cents a piece, instead of 99 cents. I'm still looking at school supply stores & stuff to see if I can find them cheaper. We were also hoping to use some type of little notebook to go w/ it, w/ the theme on the front. I bought a 5-pack at the dollar store today that I'm going to try to figure out how I could put a cover on the front. If that doesn't work, I think they'd be thrilled w/ the pencil (I know I would!!).
Did you ever find them cheaper elsewhere?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeygraham00@hotmail.com
This year we did something SO FUN that the kids LOVED! We got some little things to fill a can with (a real cannery can that you have to open with a can opener!) and went to the cannery and had them sealed. The kids love the element of surprise, AND it doesn't end up being a distraction during primary because they can't open it until they get home. So fun. We just made our own labels.
The other way you can get these cans is to use a safe edge can opener to open your cans you use daily. Clean the can out very well and then fill the can and super glue the lid back on. That at least eliminates the cost of the can, just will take some time to gather the cans....