Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Party and Event planning

Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Penny Pincher

For some fun craft ideas for the party you could always make a soap snowman:
http://www.craftelf.com/Winter_Soap_Snowman.htm

Or a Penguin Snow globe ornament: http://thatartistwoman.blogspot.com/...now-globe.html

Or you could forgo the traditional gingerbread house and make a gingerbread train: http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/ging...-train-715184/

You could play "Dress the Snowman" where you divide up into groups, giving each team a roll/s of toilet paper, a scarf, hat, etc and have a race seeing who can complete there snowman first (using one of the team members as the snowman).

I haven't make the gingerbread train yet, but hope to when my kids get a little bit older (they are currently 4 and 2), but I have made the soap snowman with my kids, (these are very fast and easy), and I have done the penguin snow globes with cub scouts before (they loved them!). I hope that this helps someone. Good luck with the parties!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Master Penny Pincher

We are doing a Christmas Through Time party. I have 4 stations each with a different time period. The kids will learn how Christmas was celebrated during each time period, hear music, do a craft and have a treat from that time period. Our periods are
Colonial Christmas
Victorian Christmas
Medieval Christmas
A Great Depression Christmas

I'm excited about it! I think (Hope!!) that it will be fun, and educational.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekat View Post
We are doing a Christmas Through Time party. I have 4 stations each with a different time period. The kids will learn how Christmas was celebrated during each time period, hear music, do a craft and have a treat from that time period. Our periods are
Colonial Christmas
Victorian Christmas
Medieval Christmas
A Great Depression Christmas

I'm excited about it! I think (Hope!!) that it will be fun, and educational.
Can you be specific on each station, music, craft, treat and information about time period. This sounds great!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljepp View Post
The Minute to Win It had a Christmas theme tonight. It will be on again on Friday. I plan to watch that one. This is a great idea. Hopefully there will be something fun that I could do with my 2nd graders. Thanks for the idea. I'll add some after I see the show on Friday.
I watched it! Looks like fun!
So how are you going to set it up?
I have 30 3rd graders. Any suggestions/ideas?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplejenn View Post
Can you be specific on each station, music, craft, treat and information about time period. This sounds great!!!
I am in charge, but can only be specific about my time period. The others are being done by other parents. There is a TON of info on the internet about all the time periods. I checked before I asked people to do them. I am doing the Medieval Period. For medieval, we will be having wassail and mincemeat pie. The poor during that time had mincemeat pie b/c it was made from the leftover bits of meat and that's all they had. Caroling started during this time period and we will learn about that and about how they used to do it in the churches, but people would hold hands and turn circles while they sang ("Carol" meaning "circle" at that time.). This was so disruptive, that the carolers got kicked out and thus began the caroling in the street tradition. We will be learning about the origins of the term "humble pie", and about the feasts that were common during Christmas at that time. They really did Christmas up. For the craft we will be making paper flowers. The Germans began the Christmas tree tradition during this time and would parade through the towns with trees decorated with apples and paper flowers. There is much, much more. Just google "Christmas during....." and it'll pull up tons of info.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljepp View Post
The Minute to Win It had a Christmas theme tonight. It will be on again on Friday. I plan to watch that one. This is a great idea. Hopefully there will be something fun that I could do with my 2nd graders. Thanks for the idea. I'll add some after I see the show on Friday.
I watched last Friday and am watching again tonight for the ending. I loved all the games! So how are you going to do the team/layout/winnings ect?
I have 30 third graders.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplejenn View Post
I watched last Friday and am watching again tonight for the ending. I loved all the games! So how are you going to do the team/layout/winnings ect?
I have 30 third graders.
I have 28 or so 6th graders. I am going to do 3 teams--because that is all the supplies that I want to get. I am still trying to iron out the details but here are some of the games that I am thinking about doing.
http://www.nbc.com/minute-to-win-it/how-to/

Christmas Cliffhanger
Blow standing Christmas cards across a table and get one to hang over the edge.
REQUIRED ITEMS - Table
- Christmas cards
1) Prior to game start, stand the cards horizontally along the edge of the table.
2) When the clock starts, contestant may start blowing the first card.
3) Contestant may not touch any card.
4) To complete the game, contestant, using only his/her breath, must blow a card so that one side of the fold hangs over the edge of the table within the 60-second time limit and remains that way for 3 consecutive seconds.

Christmas Ball
Move a christmas tree ornament across the floor and into a target area only by "fanning" it with a gift box.
REQUIRED ITEMS - 1 round ornament
- 1 gift box
- Designated end zone (piece of paper)
1) Prior to game start, contestant is in a standing position behind the tree ornament holding the gift box.
2) When the clock starts, contestant may start fanning the tree ornament with the gift box.
3) Contestant and gift box may not touch the tree ornament at any time or the game is over.
4) Contestant must stop fanning when 60-second time limit expires.
5) To complete the game, contestant must get the tree ornament in the designated end zone within the 60-second time limit.
6) The tree ornament must come to a complete stop without exiting the designated end zone.

Face the Gingerbread Man
Using only the face, move a gingerbread cookie from your forehead to your mouth.
REQUIRED ITEMS - Gingerbread cookies (really any cookie would work)
- Chair
1) Prior to game start, contestant must be seated in the chair with hands on knees and cookie pre-set in the center of the forehead not touching the eyebrows.
2) When the clock starts, the player may start moving their face and head to move the cookie.
3) The cookie must remain in contact with player's face at all times.
4) If the cookie falls or breaks, the player starts over with an intact cookie.
5) To complete the game, the contestant must hold an intact cookie with his or her mouth within the 60-second time limit.

Junk In the Trunk--The Christmas version was Jingle in the Trunk with 12 jingle bells
Wiggle a box that is attached to your waist filled with ping-pong balls until the box is empty.
REQUIRED ITEMS
8 ping-pong balls
1 empty tissue box
1 belt (ribbon would work, too)
1) Fill the tissue box with ping-pong balls, then attach tissue box to the back of belt. Put on the belt with the tissue box sitting at the small of the back.
2) When the clock starts, player may begin moving body to shake the ping-pong balls out.
3) Player's hands or arms may not touch the box or belt.
4) Player may only touch the floor with his or her feet.
5) To complete the game, player must get all 8 ping-pong balls out of the box within the 60-second time limit.

Christmas Ball Conveyor
Teammates, spinning in place, transfer ornaments using a ribbon looped around their waists.
REQUIRED ITEMS - Bowl with ornaments
- Ribbon loop
- Something to hang the ornaments
1) Prior to game start, contestants will be in standing position inside the looped ribbon with one contestant at each end.
2) When the clock starts, contestant A may place an ornament on the ribbon and begin transfer by spinning simultaneously with contestant B.
3) Only one ornament can be on the ribbon at a time.
4) Contestant's may only move the ribbon by spinning and may not use their hands.
5) If an ornament falls, contestant A may place another ornament on the ribbon.
6) To complete the game, contestants, spinning in place, must transfer the designated number of ornaments using a ribbon looped around their waists from start bowl and hang them within the 60-second time limit.

Some others that I saw that I couldn't find the instructions on their website were:
Reindeer Nose Dive
Wearing antler headbands. String tied around neck(not sure this would be very good???) with a red, fuzzy ball on the end. Vaseline on nose. They have to swing the ball up to their nose where it has to stick for 3 seconds.

Merry Fishmas
need chopstick with candy cane attached on the end of a string to use as a hook. 4 mini candy canes are on the edge of the table. With the "fishing pole" in your mouth, hook the small candycanes onto the large candy cane without dropping any.

Christmas in the Balance
need yard stick, wrapping paper roll and 10 ornaments. 2 players play for each team. Players balance yardstick on top of vertical wrapping paper roll. Then, each player hangs 5 ornaments on their side without causing the whole thing to fall.

Extreme Christmas Nutstacker
On a candycane, there are 8 large metal nuts. Player has to hold a plate with one hand and slide off the nuts from the candy cane and stack them one of top of the other onto the plate

Raise Your Glass
need 4 martini glasses and 12 christmas ornaments, table
Stack and balance 4 glasses alternating with 4 christmas ornaments (in each glass except the top one) on a table

We would need someone to be the time keeper. Maybe the teacher.

I found plastic champagne glasses and small plastic ornaments at the dollar store yesterday (for the Raise your Glass game). I bought enough for 3 teams. So about 9-10 kids per team.

Any ideas to make sure transition times are smooth?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

I am so excited! I just had my DS try them out. It was hilarious! I can't wait to have the teacher do them to show the kids how it's done. LOL!

I decided on:

Merry Fishmas
Face the Gingerbread man
Christmas Cliffhanger
Reindeer Nose Dive
Jingle in the trunk
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Interesting ideas! I need to come up with a few games for ds's 1st grade holiday party. Any other ideas? Tia
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I'm in charge of my 3rd graders this year. Some idea's I have come up with are the "dice game" you have a present wrapped, and there are layers of wrapping paper, inside most of the layers are other small gifts. You have a set of dice and if you roll a double you get to unwrap a layer until the next person rolls a double. But you have oven mitts on are are using spoons to unwrap your layer.
So it's a little harder to get it unwrapped.

Use the spray whipping cream and make a Christmas tree out of the whipping cream in a certain amount of time (it also has to stand up for them to be the winner)

Use large marshmallows, have a bowl on the floor, have a partner holding a small wreath and you have to toss the marshmallows through the wreath and make it into the bowl.