Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Party and Event planning

Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default Please Help with Cake

I am looking to have something Gummibar (not gummy bear) themed for my daughter's first birthday. Does anyone know where I could have something like this made for next Saturday? http://pinterest.com/pin/197032552420003780/

It doesn't have to be that elaborate, just Gummibar themed. Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

****Something like this would work great too. I'm just not sure what bakeries would be capable of drawing it?? http://pinterest.com/pin/197032552420315449/
Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I would think any decent bakery that does fondant work could do the first one, especially if you provided the topper. It looks pretty straightforward to me. The second one seems more likely to go awry.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelC View Post
I would think any decent bakery that does fondant work could do the first one, especially if you provided the topper. It looks pretty straightforward to me. The second one seems more likely to go awry.
When you say a bakery that does fondant work, I'm thinking that would be something other than like Harmons or Sam's Club right? I'm sorry to be so stupid, I guess I just don't know bakeries, but I'm unsure of any around me that I can think of other than grocery stores. I'm in the Weber County area. Does anyone know of a bakery that does that type of work locally?

Also, I was under the impression that the bear on the top of that cake was handmade from something? I've searched and searched and cannot find any type of Gummibar premade topper
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4crazyboyz View Post
When you say a bakery that does fondant work, I'm thinking that would be something other than like Harmons or Sam's Club right? I'm sorry to be so stupid, I guess I just don't know bakeries, but I'm unsure of any around me that I can think of other than grocery stores. I'm in the Weber County area. Does anyone know of a bakery that does that type of work locally?

Also, I was under the impression that the bear on the top of that cake was handmade from something? I've searched and searched and cannot find any type of Gummibar premade topper
It could be handmade, but I thought a figurine would make it easier to get what you want at a good price. If they don't make them I don't know. I think it would be expensive to have it made.

Another option is to find a bakery that can do the printable cake toppers with edible ink. You could do the second cake with a printable instead of leaving it up to the artist's interpretation.

I think there are grocery store bakeries that do fondant, but haven't looked into it.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
It could be handmade, but I thought a figurine would make it easier to get what you want at a good price. If they don't make them I don't know. I think it would be expensive to have it made.

Another option is to find a bakery that can do the printable cake toppers with edible ink. You could do the second cake with a printable instead of leaving it up to the artist's interpretation.

I think there are grocery store bakeries that do fondant, but haven't looked into it.
Thanks! I just called on the edible cake screening and local stores say they do it, but not copyrighted art. I'm assuming the Gummibar has a copyright, although I was able to find examples of others who've had it screen printed on like this: http://pinterest.com/pin/197032552419934794/
Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Master Penny Pincher

That's frustrating about the copyright. I wonder if they sell images somewhere for personal use so you could get around that.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
That's frustrating about the copyright. I wonder if they sell images somewhere for personal use so you could get around that.
I've wondered the same thing since on the official Gummibar site they actually post and promote pics of cakes that their "fans" send in. So it would seem that they don't care that people are making cakes with the Gummibar's likeness. Maybe I'll try emailing them and see what they say.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Have you thought about buying a cake pan that is a bear, and coloring the frosting to look like a gummy?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmom24 View Post
Have you thought about buying a cake pan that is a bear, and coloring the frosting to look like a gummy?
That would work great if I was even the slightest bit crafty or could bake worth a darn.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

You could do a basic frosted cake like the first picture and then use fruit rollups cut with a cookie cutter and gumballs for the decorations around the border. Or what they've done in the pic is used fondant which is also easy to use to get shapes like the picture. I think the figurine is most likely made from fondant so that might be difficult to get. Are there party plates or stickers that you could use to make a cake topper from...just 2d instead of 3d?