Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 03-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Key Lime Recipes?

I just bought a bunch of key limes from Reams because of the great sale this week. Anyone have a good recipe using key limes? I've never used them before.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Allrecipes.com has a few recipes that just use the lime juice. Here is one:http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Key-Lim...II/Detail.aspx. It was enough to make me drool!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

This is my kids favorite.

My Lime Sublime Pie

Prepare and bake one pie crust, let cool

1 pkg unflavored gelatine
1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup water (if you want more flavor use all lime juice)
1 tsp. lemon zest (i don't like lime as well)
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup whipped whip cream (cool whip works fine)

Cook gelatine, Juice and water on medium until gelatine is dissolved remove from heat and stir in zest. set aside to cool while... Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth (if using cool whip I use less sugar) Blend gelatine mixture into cream cheese mixture and refrigerate about 15 minutes to thicken. Fold in whipped cream and pour in prepared crust.

This looks great with a little extra whip cream swirled on top of the slice and garnished with a lime wedge or swirl.

This can also be made with Lemons instead. or orange or whatever, one of my favorites is pureed apricot! shh, its one of my secret recipes.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:48 PM

I love key lime pie. I have a really good recipe for chili lime chicken that uses key limes or regular limes. I use lime juice in guacamole and salsa. I have a favorite citrus poppyseed cake that you can use lime, lemon and orange or anyone of those alone and it is awesome. Lime meltaway cookies use lime juice and zest.
I really love citrus-y stuff. Key limes can be used anywhere regular limes are used. They just impart a slightly different flavor.

I didn't realize it was 12 tiny KEY limes on sale for $1. Bummer, I wanted the big boys.

This is my favorite key lime pie recipe. I apprenticed with a pastry chef and his key lime pie was made like this as well.

Key Lime Pie by GourmetSleuth
This is a recipe for "real" Key Lime pie. Real Key lime pie is not green and it does not have a soft "pudding" texture. The pie gets its true pale yellow color from the egg yolks that predominate the ingredient list. And the texture is a "firm custard". Be careful that you don't over-bake the pie or it will be "rubbery". For best results use fresh Key Limes, not bottled juice. The traditional preparation does not put any meringue on the top of the pie. This is a very simple recipe and only takes a few minutes to prepare and 12 minutes to bake.

Serves: 8

I N G R E D I E N T S
Crust
16 graham crackers, crushed
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cube (1/4 lb) margarine or butter

I N S T R U C T I O N S
Mix the ingredients and press them into a 9" pie plate. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 10 - 12 minutes until lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool.

I N G R E D I E N T S
Pie
4 large or extra large egg yolks
1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (approximately 12 Key limes)
2 teaspoons grated lime peel, green portion only

Whipping Cream For Garnish (Optional)
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

I N S T R U C T I O N S
Use an electric mixer and beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow, don't over mix. Turn the mixer off and add the sweetened condensed milk. Turn speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice. Once the juice is incorporated add the other half of the juice and the zest, continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds). Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350F for 12 minutes to set the yolks and kill any salmonella in the eggs.

s e r v i n g
If you are using the whipping cream garnish, prepare the cream. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Yum….

Copy cat Recipe for the Cheesecake Factory’s Key Lime Cheesecake
Old 03-27-2008, 03:58 PM

*sigh*

Dewey, have I told you lately that I LOVE you?

That is another favorite of mine, but I've never seen a copycat recipe for it. Thank you thank you!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLaisa
*sigh*

Dewey, have I told you lately that I LOVE you?

That is another favorite of mine, but I've never seen a copycat recipe for it. Thank you thank you!
ahhh, shucks...
Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Here's one from Paula Deen on the food network. I've made it. It was super easy and delicious! It's pretty too! Key Lime Pie with Meringue Topping
Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Master Penny Pincher

When you have a second, can you post your chili lime chicken? That sounds so good!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley
When you have a second, can you post your chili lime chicken? That sounds so good!
I second that request!