Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default How do you celebrate the holidays on a dime?

Our Relief Society is putting together ideas of fun & free ideas for celebrating the holidays. What are some traditions that your family does that don't cost a lot of money?

I know several years ago they had a nativity collection displayed at one of the chapels in town -- anyone know if they still do that? What are some other ideas for family outings that don't cost a lot?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM

KSL.com has a great link with a holiday map of lights around the state. Last year we found a fun house covered with lights that had a radio station to tune to to watch the lights blink with the music
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

what area of Utah are you from?
I know that in Provo they have the Living Nativity at the Provo Tabernacle Dec 2-4th. It's inside-nice and warm--FREE
We have made attending this a family tradition.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Here are some ideas: http://beingfrugal.net/2007/11/07/50...ristmas-ideas/

Some of them are cliche or already well-known to penny pinchers, but others are unique and sound really fun.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I think it is really important that you put in your book that Christmas happens every year on December 25th so you have 12 months to save for it. It is frugal to budget for Christmas and then stay within your budget. I remember someone saying this to me at a Relief Society event years ago and it sticks with me every year. It makes your Christmas much more fun if you have planned for it.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:45 AM

There is a huge nativity collection in Pleasant View every year. It is the Christmas Creche Nativity Display. It is the first weekend in December. It is free. They have a kids room that has Nativity puzzles and pictures to color, it has a small puppet stage with nativity, and other things. They have a room you can dress up your family in the nativity clothing and take a family picture. Then all thru the gym there are nativities set up. They usually have a paper that is a LooknFind that let's kids (or adults) read clues to help them find different things in the nativites. My kids age 6-9 love this.
The also have musical performances going on in the chapel. You don't have to wear church clothes to go to the Creche. It is really neat.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_ks View Post
I think it is really important that you put in your book that Christmas happens every year on December 25th so you have 12 months to save for it. It is frugal to budget for Christmas and then stay within your budget. I remember someone saying this to me at a Relief Society event years ago and it sticks with me every year. It makes your Christmas much more fun if you have planned for it.
Ditto this. I know for this year it's too late, but at the RS function, you might mention that it might be handy to try next year.

Hubs and I have 25.00 automatically drafted and put in an ING account every paycheck. We don't even have to think about it, and at the end of the year we have 600 bucks to spend on Christmas. It's great! We can get everyone pretty much everything they want, we always have money for a Christmas donation with which we're satisfied, and we usually have money left over. Hubs LOVES it. I don't know why, but not having to go into debt for or worry about Christmas just gives him enormous financial satisfaction. We both heartily recommend it to other people.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Penny Pincher

I don't know if it is just Christmas that you are talking about but in November my family makes a thankful jar. We write some of the things we are thankful for down and then do something to show appreciation for that person/thing the day we draw it out of the jar. For example: We are thankful for our Dad. On the day we draw that out we make an extra effort to do something nice for him. Some of the other things we do include being thankful for brothers, sisters, neighbors, food (have a special dinner), electricity (make sure all the lights are turned off if your not using them etc.), car (clean it out and go for a ride), clothes (clean out the closet and donate some extra clothes) the park etc. My kids always help come up with the list and what we do to show appreciation. It has become a really fun tradition.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggs View Post
Hubs and I have 25.00 automatically drafted and put in an ING account every paycheck. We don't even have to think about it, and at the end of the year we have 600 bucks to spend on Christmas. It's great!
We do this, too! I can't remember what I did without it!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:07 PM

We have money put into an account automatically too. This way I have money set aside during the year for sales I find all year long. Most of my Christmas shopping is done (thanks to PYP!) and I'll be under budget. If I was waiting for November or December, there is no way I'd have saved that much money.

Another thing we do as a family that is inexpensive: we do the 12 days of Christmas. I buy 6 sets of gloves from the dollar store and string them on the banister and in each glove is a scroll with an activity listed on it. And we pretty much do the same 12 every year. (Depending on what is going on that year, something else might get added in - like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir tickets - but you can't count on those every year.) There is also a trunk nearby with all of the related items in it, wrapped. The activities are short activites we can do as a family, but won't interfere with homework, like watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas and eat popcorn (so the DVD and the popcorn would be in the trunk wrapped up and labeled with that day's number on it), go to temple square and see the lights (saved for a weekend), go caroling to a few of the single ladies in the neighborhood, etc. Then, after Christmas, we donate the gloves to a homeless shelter (with other things). Hopefully this makes sense. It's fun, we're together as a family, it helps to teach my kids to give, and it's pretty cheap.