Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Washington's Screaming Deals > Fun stuff/Off topic/Help

Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default Insight on Kent/Maple Valley/ Covington areas?

We are looking for a house but are still relatively new to the area. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the Kent area? We've also found some houses around Covington and Maple Valley -- but don't really know what those areas are really like... crime rate? family friendly? schools? DH works for Microsoft in Redmond but houses here are significantly more expensive (and out of our price range) than they are a little further south. I've heard the commute is bad, we're gonna try it out several different times to get an idea of just how bad is "bad".

Any thoughts or insights about the area (or suggestions of where else within a reasonable commute to Redmond we could find a 4+ bdrm for less than $400K) would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I don't know a lot about Kent, but we loved the Covington/Maple Valley area. Great schools, very family friendly. One thing you need to be aware of is the traffic. It is AWFUL (unless they've changed it in the few years since I moved.) I would have dh drive it at the times he would normally drive to see what it is like. We lived in North Bend for a few years - LOVED IT!!! That whole area out there is great - Snoqualmie, Fall City, Duvall, Carnation. I used to be a substitute teacher in those 2 districts and they were great schools.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahmamma
We are looking for a house but are still relatively new to the area. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the Kent area? We've also found some houses around Covington and Maple Valley -- but don't really know what those areas are really like... crime rate? family friendly? schools? DH works for Microsoft in Redmond but houses here are significantly more expensive (and out of our price range) than they are a little further south. I've heard the commute is bad, we're gonna try it out several different times to get an idea of just how bad is "bad".

Any thoughts or insights about the area (or suggestions of where else within a reasonable commute to Redmond we could find a 4+ bdrm for less than $400K) would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Hey there! So cool! I grew up in Covington (before it was even Covington!) and I really enjoyed it. My dad is in Kent and my mom's in Federal Way. My little sister has a lot of friends who work for MS and I can talk to her about the commute to Redmond. I know that most of the people who are working out there tend to be in the North Bend/Duvall areas.

As far as Covington goes, I loved going to Lake Wilderness in the summers and hiking around the State Parks out that way.

I would say the commute to Redmond would be terrible - but really, traffic all over Seattle is yucky. There is going to be quite a bit of traffic no matter where you are. The Kent school district was always one of the best (I hope I'm a good example of that!). Tahoma HS (lots of Maple Valley would go there) was not quite as good, but they've built up so much in that area I'm sure with a greater tax base the school's have improved since I graduated (90s).

I have a friend who moved 3 years ago to Maple Valley and if you'd like I could give you her info.

Happy House Hunting!
Erika
Old 04-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Thanks you guys for your input! We looked at some houses in person yesterday and really feel torn... we can afford so much more house in Covington, but we spoke with some of the neighbours about the commute... it takes about 75 minutes EACH WAY to get to the MS campus. DH would never get to see our kids! Well, I guess we're not really torn, just disappointed... we had hoped to get into a house this summer (before we have four little ones in an apartment) but unless we can find something in our price range a LOT closer to Redmond we'll wait another year until we can afford something here.

Please do keep the ideas and info coming if you know of some other closer and more affordable areas! Thanks all!

PS - We sure miss Utah, but Washington is SO gorgeous! Even with all the rain it is seriously beautiful here!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default We might have found our home!

A friend took us up to Duvall to check out this amazing house... did I mention its amazing?! It is unfortunately more than we had hoped to pay, but still within our budget so we are giving it some serious consideration ... we're going to have another look tomorrow to answer some questions we've thought of since we were there. It has lovely big bedrooms (and enough bedrooms for our ever growing family!) a great kitchen and a fabulous big fenced yard with tons of grass and room for a garden. Lots of natural light, a nice neighbourhood, room for the kids to play and... well, we just really like this house!

I'm embarrased to say I hadn't even heard of Duvall before our friend took us out to look. Its such a cute place! Anyone on PYP live in that area?

I'll keep y'all posted!
Old 05-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I think the Duvall area is beautiful! I have not lived there, but I have been through there. I used to substitute teach there. I also have a friend that lives there, and she is loving it. She really likes the schools there.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Sorry to chime in late. We moved from Kaysville to Redmond initially. Housing prices are WAY down from the last few years. We ended up buying in Sammamish and although paid more than we hoped, got a lot of house in a great school district and city. I would never move as far south as Covington to commute to Microsoft!