Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Crafts

Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Silhouette Cameo Question?

I just bought the silhouette and I purchased a cute 3D owl treat bag pattern from their store to make for my dd's school class next week. There are no directions though so I'm not quite sure if I use cardstock or regular scrapbook paper. If I do use cardstock does it need to be the adhesive kind? TIA!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Rose, is this the shape you bought? I bought it too, so cute!

Anyway, I would cut the base out on regular cardstock, then follow the picture, and use a plain color of cardstock for the main part of the face and eyes. Then use patterned paper for the nose and feathers. You could use adhesive cardstock if you have it for the main face, eyes, feathers and nose, but not the main box. You will need to use a strong adhesive on the little tabs that will glue to the side strips. It would be nice if the tabs were a little different so you could just use sticky strip, since it really is the best adhesive for assembling boxes. I would fold down the tabs and make sure you know where they line up before adding any adhesive.

The designer does have tutorials on youtube, but not for the owl. I wonder if watching one on the round boxes tutorials would give you a better idea for assembling the owl, since it's sides are also curved.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalworld View Post
Rose, is this the shape you bought? I bought it too, so cute!

Anyway, I would cut the base out on regular cardstock, then follow the picture, and use a plain color of cardstock for the main part of the face and eyes. Then use patterned paper for the nose and feathers. You could use adhesive cardstock if you have it for the main face, eyes, feathers and nose, but not the main box. You will need to use a strong adhesive on the little tabs that will glue to the side strips. It would be nice if the tabs were a little different so you could just use sticky strip, since it really is the best adhesive for assembling boxes. I would fold down the tabs and make sure you know where they line up before adding any adhesive.

The designer does have tutorials on youtube, but not for the owl. I wonder if watching one on the round boxes tutorials would give you a better idea for assembling the owl, since it's sides are also curved.
Yes, that is it! Thank you so much. I was completely lost on how to start this
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM

You're welcome! If you aren't familiar with the Silhouette software yet, then you can check out their blog. You can search for ungroup and duplicate to separate the shapes and fit lots of the same shapes on a page. Have fun!