Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Crafts

Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Default ISO: Free Shapes for Silhouette

I was wondering what sites you use to get "free" shapes to extend your library. I know that Silhouette will have a "free new weekly" shape, but was wondering what you do to increase your library? Any safe websites out there that you use?

Also, because I'm soooooo new at this....can I use ANY shape I want and my silhouette will just read it and cut it?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I know there has to be someone out there that gets free shapes/designs/fonts/etc off the internet somewhere!!!!!!!

Please help inform !
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Master Penny Pincher

peppermintcreative.com offers an occasional free shape. the problem with not buying them from the Silhouette store is that they won't automatically show up in your library, so I download them and then forget that I have them. I need to open them up and save them in my library. There are also yahoo groups you can join that share shapes (silhouetteusers is one that I know of). I download my fonts from free font sites, just google free fonts.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Michelleh you pull through for me each time!!! THANK YOU! I appreciate you!

So, when you do find something you like that is "free" you download it onto your computer and then you are supposed to upload it onto the "my library", right?

I'm not sure if you would be okay w/ this...but will you for the next couple of times you find a freebie....PM me the link so that I can see what you are getting and from where/how.

Thanks Michelleh!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Master Penny Pincher

peppermintcreative.com has a HUGE free download right now. It has tons of cute "movie" related designs!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsavinmoney View Post
peppermintcreative.com has a HUGE free download right now. It has tons of cute "movie" related designs!
that is a digital scrapbooking kit (which is great too, but it isn't a cut file). did you see the cut file? I noticed yesterday that I haven't been receiving their e-mails, so it's been a long time since I've downloaded from them. But they occasionally change their free cut files.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get their cut files ready to cut though, it isn't a Silhouette specific cut file. that's why I prefer downloading from the Silhouette store - no extra work. Generally you can just open it up, then under file you can save to your library.

here's a tutorial on using the print and cut feature with other shapes (you could use the elements in the movie kit). you can always skip the print feature if you just want to cut the outline of a shape.

I really wish I knew more about using the Silhouette, I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing out on, but it's a hobby and I don't get to play with it often enough.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Good heavens! I'm quite the non-reader....thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will be more aware that I need "cutting" images rather than just "free images"! I can see why one would just want to stick w/ sihouette images....they are all ready to go and only cost $1!

Question: the fonts I downloaded from google should be "cut worthy" right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleh View Post
that is a digital scrapbooking kit (which is great too, but it isn't a cut file). did you see the cut file? I noticed yesterday that I haven't been receiving their e-mails, so it's been a long time since I've downloaded from them. But they occasionally change their free cut files.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get their cut files ready to cut though, it isn't a Silhouette specific cut file. that's why I prefer downloading from the Silhouette store - no extra work. Generally you can just open it up, then under file you can save to your library.

here's a tutorial on using the print and cut feature with other shapes (you could use the elements in the movie kit). you can always skip the print feature if you just want to cut the outline of a shape.

I really wish I knew more about using the Silhouette, I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing out on, but it's a hobby and I don't get to play with it often enough.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsavinmoney View Post
Question: the fonts I downloaded from google should be "cut worthy" right?
some fonts do cut better than others. it's best to try a 'test cut' on some scrap paper before cutting into your good paper or vinyl. I find that thicker fonts work best, although you can bold fonts to make the thinner/finer ones work better. some that I've used with good results are Pharmacy, Kristen ITC and Aquarelle.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Lori Whitlock is giving away a shape a day through Sunday on her blog. she sells her designs at the Silhouette store as well.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleh View Post
Lori Whitlock is giving away a shape a day through Sunday on her blog. she sells her designs at the Silhouette store as well.