Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Crafts

Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default Vinyl Cutter recommendations?

So, I think I want to actually purchase a Cricut or equivalent to cut vinyl. There are several options and I've never actually used any of them myself, but I know that many of you have, so what do you suggest? Which machine is the best as far as value and what you can do with it? I mostly want to do fun little projects like:

this http://fablifyit.com/ghost-and-pumpk...ispensers-diy/

or this http://rmhouseofnoise.blogspot.com/2...or-season.html

I'm not sure that I would ever need anything larger than 8x10, and I like the idea of being able to add new fonts and templates - is it possible to design your own?

Also, where is a good place to purchase and do they go on sale other than Black Friday? (If I'm going to buy it this year I need it before then.) Tell me what you know!
TIA!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

I love my Silhouette Cameo! You can check out their online store and look at the different shapes they offer. I did see some pumpkin face shapes. You can even download the software for free and play with it to see how you like it. You can cut any true-type font, although some cut better than others because of the thickness of the font.

They do have older versions that you could probably find on ebay or somewhere similar (original Silhouette and Silhouette SD). And a new smaller, version that is coming out next month - Silhouette Portrait.

If you've never used an electronic die-cutting machine then you may want to go to You Tube and search for some tutorials on the machines that you are considering so you can get a feel for them before spending the money.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalworld View Post
If you've never used an electronic die-cutting machine then you may want to go to You Tube and search for some tutorials on the machines that you are considering so you can get a feel for them before spending the money.
This is really great advice! I think it's hard for people to give advice about which one they like best, because most people only buy one, so they are only really "experts" about the one they have.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplify View Post
This is really great advice! I think it's hard for people to give advice about which one they like best, because most people only buy one, so they are only really "experts" about the one they have.
I agree! I guess I'm hoping a few people will tell me what they have and what they love about it or wish was different. Will be watching tutorials on youtube for sure!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I own a Cameo Silhouette and am VERY happy w/ it. I LOVE that I can work on my designs at my computer AND I LOVE that I can buy seperate shapes vs a whole cartridge. Shapes are .99! You also get a free shape every week.

Here is a good thread for you to read.
http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/f...ght=silhouette