Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving.... > The Recipe Box

Old 11-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Default Vegie recipes

we need more VEGIE recipes, please add your favorites to this thread.
Especially Holiday Dinner recipes

Squash recipe collection
Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 AM

Default Potato and Carrot Kugel

Cut this potato-based kugel into squares and serve as a side dish at brunch, lunch or dinner.

Ingredients
6 large (or 4 pounds) potatoes, peeled, finely grated
4 carrots, peeled, finely grated
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 eggs, beaten
6 tablespoons matzo meal
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
Paprika
optional: add grated zucchini, drained

Method
Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, blend grated potato, carrot and onion. Stir in eggs until well mixed. Stir in matzo meal, salt, black pepper, and parsley. Pour into a greased 9x13-inch pan, filling to the top (it will shrink), and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 1 hour or until browned.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM

going to try this soon!

Vegie Lasagna
20 lasagna noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups fresh spinach
3 cups ricotta cheese
2/3 cup grated Romano cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 egg
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
3 cups tomato pasta sauce
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook mushrooms, onions, and garlic in olive oil until onions are tender. Drain excess liquid and cool. Boil spinach for 5 minutes. Drain, then squeeze out excess liquid. Chop spinach.
Combine ricotta cheese, Romano cheese, spinach, salt, oregano, basil, pepper, and egg in a bowl. Add cooled mushroom mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Lay 5 lasagna noodles in bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread one third of the cheese/spinach mixture over noodles. Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese on top. Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce over cheese. Repeat layering 2 times.
Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Smarter Than The Average Guru/Moderator

A favorite vegetarian meal we recently discovered.

Roasted Corn Tostadas
adapted from a Rachael Ray recipe
Serves 4
8 WW points per serving

6 ears corn, shucked
1 Tablespoon olive oil
chili powder for sprinkling
salt and pepper
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 cup Fat Free half and half
1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped, plus 1 Tablespoon sauce
I never use a whole can of chipotle in adobo at once. So I put the contents of the can in a ziploc bag, get as much air out as possible, seal it up and then smash it flat as possible and freeze. Then I just break off chunks as I need them for recipes. I used about 1 square inch for this recipe which added perfect heat for us. Perhaps too much if you're a lightweight. *wink*
1 15oz. can fat free refried beans
8 4-6 inch corn or flour tortillas.
I used flour and calculated the points based on that. Corn tortillas would be fewer points.
4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
You could lower the points further by using reduced fat cheese. I used what I had.

Toppings:
chopped iceberg or romaine lettuce
I had some cabbage I needed to use up so I threw that in too. And I like the extra crunchy texture so I think I always will use it.
2 tomatoes, diced
1 small red onion, finely chopped
pickled jalapeno slices
chopped cilantro

Prepare the toppings before you begin.
Preheat an outdoor grill to high.

On the stovetop, combine the FF half and half, the lime zest and the chipotle in adobo. Bring to boil over medium heat then lower heat and simmer till slightly reduced.

In another small saucepan, combine the refried beans with 1/4 cup water. Let heat slowly on low heat, stirring occasionally.

Dress the corn with the olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper. Grill, turning occasionally, until tender and evenly charred. 12-15 minutes. Invert a small bowl inside a large bowl. Using tongs, remove the corn from the grill and stand upright on the inverted bowl. Using a knife, scrape the kernels from the cob. ( I used a clean dish cloth to hold onto the ears of corn as I scraped them. Felt more secure to me.) Dress corn with the juice from the lime, stir.

Place tortillas on grill in a single layer. Heat for a minute or two, turn them over and, working quickly, spread the beans evenly between the tortillas. Top with the cheese. Close the lid for a minute or two to allow the tortillas to char slightly and the cheese to melt.

Remove tostadas from grill.

Top each tostada with evenly divided portions of the roasted corn and the chipotle cream sauce.
Then add additional toppings as desired.
2 tostadas per serving.

My Blog
Old 09-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Penny Pincher

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Corn-and-Squash-Soup

Corn and Squash Soup Recipe

12 bacon strips, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
6 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
2 cans (8-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
2 cups half-and-half cream
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Sour cream, optional
Directions
In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute onion and celery until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the squash, corn, cream, parsley, salt, pepper and bacon. Cook and stir until heated through. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Veggie Pizza Appetize

2 8 oz Cream Cheese
1 Packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
Mayo
2 Cans of Crescent Rolls
3 Types of Veggies (Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots) or whatever you like.

Roll out crescent rolls onto a cookie sheet. Bake as directed on package. Let cool.

Blend cream cheese, dry ranch dressing and mayo.

Spread over baked crescent roll crust and add veggies (should be chopped very fine) and refrigerate.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default This is one of our family favorites

Ratatouille

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons dried parsley
* 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
* salt to taste
* 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 zucchini, sliced
* 1 large onion, sliced into rings
* 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1 green bell pepper, sliced
* 2 large tomatoes, chopped

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat bottom and sides of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until lightly browned. Mix in parsley and eggplant. Saute until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
3. Spread eggplant mixture evenly across bottom of prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Spread zucchini in an even layer over top. Lightly salt and sprinkle with a little more cheese. Continue layering in this fashion, with onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes, covering each layer with a sprinkling of salt and cheese.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Master Penny Pincher

POTATO SQUASH CASSEROLE FOR TWO

I found this recipe at Snowy's Country Home.
I made this a few days ago; it was very good!
I left the onions out, because I have some ulcers right now.
The yellow squash I had was on the small side, so I also added a small zucchini along with it.

2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium yellow squash, diced
3 TBSP finely chopped onion
1 TBSP butter
dash salt and pepper
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

Place the potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add squash; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or til veggies are tender. Drain. Place potatoes and squash in a bowl; mash.

In a small skillet, saute onion in butter. Add to potato mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 2 cup baking dish (dish will be full) Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 10 minutes or til cheese is melted. Sprinkle with bacon.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Master Penny Pincher

BLISTERED GREEN BEANS

1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
2 TBSP olive oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup roasted and salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
2 TBSP thin shreds orange peel

Preheat oven to 450F. Toss beans in 15x10x1 inch baking pan with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread beans in a single layer. Roast 15 minutes or til blistered and tender.

Sprinkle hot beans with parsley and garlic. Top with pistachios and orange peel. Let stand 5 minutes. Server warm or at room temperature. Makes 4 servings.