Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Default Tips for the Kitchen

Post useful ideas and time saving tips here!

I'll start!

Quote:
Brownie baking issues

I learned this from a pastry chef.

Line your pans with foil, grease with shortening and bake as usual.
Lower oven temp by 5 degrees. Check doneness using toothpick test.

Cool the brownies in the pan. Place a cookie sheet over the pan and flip it.
As soon as the pan is upside down, the brownies come out instantly.

Gently peel off the foil and frost the brownies or leave them plain.

That way you don't have to clean up the sticky mess or have the crusty top to worry about when frosting.

Cutting the brownies is much easier on that cookie sheet. It also prevents damage to the baking pans and knives in your kitchen.

Easy!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Master Penny Pincher

When you are kneading your bread dough spray your counter top with cooking
spray or oil before your start. Your dough won't stick to the counter, and it there isn't a flour mess to clean up when you are done. Just wipe the counter with a soapy rag when you are finished.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Instead of flouring my cake pans I do the following: spray, cut wax paper to fit, line with paper, spray again. The cakes come out so nicely.
Then, to get a nice flat surface to ice....use floss to trim the top even with the pan, then flip it cut side down. (or into the middle if layering)
Old 12-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Master Penny Pincher

If you fill an empty Parmesan cheese container ( the kind with a screw on flip top lid) with flour it makes it much easier to flour your work surface when you are rolling out pie crust or sugar cookies. It works great for flouring cake pans too.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Better grease for baking pans

I just found out a better grease for pans than crisco (I don't ever use it so I never have it around). Use 1 tsp liquid lecithin to 6 TBSP oil (any kind) mix {I save it in the fridge for whenever I need it}...
Spread a tiny amount evenly on the pan. Whatever you are baking comes off the surface perfectly, even on VERY old pans or even if it is a super sticky recipe.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Since the Holiday's are here (Can you believe it! Where has the time gone?) I'm resurrecting this thread. Here's a few nifty tricks I've discovered. Hope they help make someones baking easier!

Use an electric heating pad to create a warm place for yeast dough to rise. Plug it in, set the control on low, and set your bowl or cookie sheet of dough on it to rise.

Use a pizza cutter to cut roll dough. It works great for cutting without stretching out the dough. I roll my dough into a circle and cut like I was cutting pizza into wedges. Roll the dough from fat end to tip, to make crescent rolls.

Spray wax paper with cooking spray and lay it on top of your bowl or on top of shaped yeast dough before you cover it with a dishcloth. The greased waxed paper won't stick to the dough, and it keeps your dishtowels from getting greasy.