Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 10-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Penny Pincher

Oh don't get me started on pumpkin!! Here's just a few of mine:

Pumpkin Daily Bread - makes like 5 or 6 loaves

5 cups warm water
2/3 oil
2/3 honey
2 T dough enhancer
2 T vital gluten
5 cups hard white wheat flour
2 1/2 T Saf yeast
Mix and let sponge 10 minutes

Then add:
2 T real salt
1 egg (optional)
1 1/2 T pumpkin pie spice
1 small can pumpkin
enough flour to clean the bowl

In bosch knead 8-10 minutes on speed 2.
Shape into loaves and let rise until doubled Bake 26-30 min. or until hollow when tapped.

Low Fat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Brownies

2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. pumpkin
1 egg
2 egg whites
2 T oil
1 c. flour
1 tsp bk powder
1 tsp cocoa
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 c. choc. chips

Combine sugar through oil. Beat with a mixer. Add flour through nutmeg and beat until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into 9x9 pan and bake at 350 for 15-20 min or until toothpick comes out clean.

Pumpkin Cheesecake

2 pkg cream cheese softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 c. pumpkin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash of cloves and nutmeg
ready crust

Mix cheese, sugar and vanilla until well blended. Add eggs and mix. Stir in pumpkin and spices into 1 c. of batter. Pour remaining plain batter into crust. Top with pumpkin mixture. Bake at 350 for 35-40 min.

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

1 1/2 cups drained diced canned tomatoes
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon olive oil
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled queso fresco
1/2 cup sliced green onions
Pumpkinseed kernels (optional)

Place tomatoes and beans in a food processor; process until about half the beans are smooth. Set aside.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sautť 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add cumin and garlic; sautť 1 minute. Add bean mixture, broth, and next 3 ingredients (through pumpkin); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in sherry. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with about 2 tablespoons queso fresco and about 1 tablespoon green onions. Garnish with pumpkinseed kernels, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings

CALORIES 175 (16% from fat); FAT 3.1g (sat 1.2g,mono 1.1g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 10g

"Healthy" Pumpkin Banana Muffins

1 Ĺ c. flour
2 c. whole wheat flour
2/3 c. oats
Ĺ c. oat bran
4 tsp bk powder
2 tsp bk soda
Ĺ tsp salt
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3 ripe bananas mashed
1 c. applesauce
1 can pumpkin
4 eggs lightly beaten
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Combine remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Beat just until combined. Spoon into muffin tins. Bake for 25-30 min.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

I’ve posted these in other threads – here they are together:

Pumpkin Twinkie Dessert

10ct box Twinkies
8oz cream cheese
15oz container Cool Whip
1 cup powdered sugar
15oz can pumpkin
1 cup milk
2-3oz pkgs vanilla pudding mix
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Cut Twinkies lengthwise in half and place cut-side up in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
Mix cream cheese, 1/2 of the Cool Whip and powdered sugar. Spread on top of Twinkies.
Mix pumpkin, milk, pudding mix, and spices. Spread on top of cream cheese mixture.
Spread remaining Cool Whip on top and sprinkle with a little pumpkin pie spice.
Refrigerate 1-2 hrs until set.

Pumpkin Bars

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp soda
4 eggs
16oz pumpkin
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil

Mix well. Spread in baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes at 350, until done.

Frosting:

3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbl milk (more or less depending on consistency of frosting)
6 Tbl Butter, softened
4 oz Cream Cheese

Beat until creamy and spread on cooled cake.

Pumpkin Fudge

4c sugar
1c milk
3 Tbl light corn syrup
1c pumpkin
1/8 tsp salt
4 Tbl butter
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp vanilla
1c chopped pecans (or use walnuts, or leave the nuts out)

Combine sugar, milk, corn syrup, pumpkin and salt. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and continue to boil, without stirring until soft ball stage (about 235F). Remove from heat and add butter, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and nuts and leave undisturbed until it cools to lukewarm. Beat until it begins to lose its gloss and quickly pour into a buttered 9” square pan. Let set and cut into squares.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Hereís a Pumpkin Baking Guide..

http://www.preparedpantry.com/PDF/pu...king-guide.pdf

Last edited by Deweyville; 10-04-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:27 AM

I posted this in another thread, too:

I got this recipe from a Pillsbury magazine almost 20 years ago. I typed the recipe as it was published, but Iíve made it a lot of different ways by changing the type of crust and the topping.

You can make a plain crust with graham crackers or even vanilla wafers. I like using about 1 cup vanilla wafer crumbs, 1/2 cup chopped nuts, and 1/2 cube butter. Another crust I like is to use pecan shortbread cookies. Iíve also made it several times with gingersnaps and itís a great flavor with the pumpkin!

You can also use a different sauce although the praline sauce is great. If youíre a chocoholic, chocolate sauce is good. Iíve even turned it into a chocolate pumpkin cheesecake by stirring in some miniature chocolate chips into the batter.

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Praline Sauce

Crust
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
2 Tbl sugar
2 Tbl butter, melted

Combine pecans, bread crumbs and sugar. Toss with butter. Press into the bottom and sides of a buttered 9-inch springform pan.

Filling
4 - 8oz packages cream cheese
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
5 eggs
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
16 oz can (about 2 cups) pumpkin

Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and brown sugar while beating. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. Gradually add flour, spices, and pumpkin. Mix well.
Pour into crust. Bake at 350 for 1hr 30 min. until center is set. Turn oven off, open the door several inches, and let the cheesecake cool in the oven for at least an hour. Refrigerate. Serve with warm praline sauce.

Praline Sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cube butter
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla

Bring brown sugar, water and butter to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Slowly blend a spoonful of the hot mixture into the egg. Add egg mixture to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook over low for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and vanilla.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweyville
I posted this in another thread, too:

I got this recipe from a Pillsbury magazine almost 20 years ago. I typed the recipe as it was published, but Iíve made it a lot of different ways by changing the type of crust and the topping.

You can make a plain crust with graham crackers or even vanilla wafers. I like using about 1 cup vanilla wafer crumbs, 1/2 cup chopped nuts, and 1/2 cube butter. Another crust I like is to use pecan shortbread cookies. Iíve also made it several times with gingersnaps and itís a great flavor with the pumpkin!

You can also use a different sauce although the praline sauce is great. If youíre a chocoholic, chocolate sauce is good. Iíve even turned it into a chocolate pumpkin cheesecake by stirring in some miniature chocolate chips into the batter.

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Praline Sauce

Crust
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
2 Tbl sugar
2 Tbl butter, melted

Combine pecans, bread crumbs and sugar. Toss with butter. Press into the bottom and sides of a buttered 9-inch springform pan.

Filling
4 - 8oz packages cream cheese
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
5 eggs
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
16 oz can (about 2 cups) pumpkin

Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and brown sugar while beating. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. Gradually add flour, spices, and pumpkin. Mix well.
Pour into crust. Bake at 350 for 1hr 30 min. until center is set. Turn oven off, open the door several inches, and let the cheesecake cool in the oven for at least an hour. Refrigerate. Serve with warm praline sauce.

Praline Sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cube butter
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla

Bring brown sugar, water and butter to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Slowly blend a spoonful of the hot mixture into the egg. Add egg mixture to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook over low for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and vanilla.
OOHHH! I made this last year for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit. (I did leave out the chocolate chips though).
Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I used to make this pumpkin ice cream pie, but I'd lost the recipe.

Thanks to the internet, I've found it again! Yay!

Frozen Pumpkin Pie
Submitted by: Carolyn
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 33 members Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 2 Hours 45 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings
"Pumpkin and ginger come together perfectly in this lovely layered pie. Vanilla ice cream is spooned into a homemade gingersnap crust, topped with a creamy, spicy pumpkin filling, and frozen. Serve it with freshly-made whipped cream and a sprinkling of ginger snap cookies."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnap
cookies
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups frozen whipped topping,
thawed
2 cups vanilla ice cream,
softened
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
2. In a small bowl mix together 1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnaps and 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir in melted butter or margarine. Press mixture evenly into a 9 inch pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, 1 cup sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Fold in whipped topping.
4. Spread ice cream in an even layer in bottom of cooled gingersnap crust. Pour pumpkin mixture over ice cream. Freeze at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with whipped topping and crushed gingersnaps if desired.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies

1 spice cake mix
2 eggs
1 can pure pumpking ( the smaller can)
chocolate chips

Mix all together bake @ 375 about 10 minutes
Old 11-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Master Penny Pincher

There are some great recipes here. I've added one more of Dewey's recipes I found on another thread in my search for pumpkin recipes that I intend to try. I am currently in search of a good deal on canned pumpkin. What is the best price? Also, can you freeze the left overs of canned pumpkin if you don't use the whole can in a recipe?

Pumpink Pie Snickerdoodle Bars

Snickerdoodle Layer

3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 Tbl vanilla extract

Pumpkin Pie Layer

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin

2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 oz white chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan and lay a piece of parchment paper across the pan, so that it extends the pan slightly. The parchment paper is an optional step, but it will make it easier to get the bars out later

To make snickerdoodle layer:
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. In large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.

Stir in the flour mixture until well blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan (mixture will be thick and cookiebatter-ish.)

In a mixer bowl (you can use the same one you used to make the snickerdoodle batter) with a paddle attachment, mix together all ingredients until well combined. This layer will be less thick and more pourable. Pour over the snickerdoodle layer, smoothing out the top.

Combine white sugar and cinnamon in a little bowl. Evenly sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over the top of the batter.

Bake for 33-40 minutes (maybe more depending on your oven) or until a toothpick inserted into the *center* of the pan comes out clean. Let the bars cool completely (about an hour). They will deflate a bit and remain a bit pie-like on the top layer. The bars that are closer to the edges of the pan will be more firm, but are still equally as yummy.

After the bars are completely cool, place the chopped white chocolate into a bowl or zip-lock bag and melt on low power. When it's completely melted, add the pumpkin pie spice and mix (or knead if using a zip lock bag). Use a spoon or cut a small corner off the bag and drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the bars and let it cool and harden.

Use the parchment paper to lift the bars out of the pan. Place on a cutting board and cut into bars. Store in a covered container.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeyh1
Also, can you freeze the left overs of canned pumpkin if you don't use the whole can in a recipe?

Yes you can freeze the leftovers
Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins

1 box devils food cake mix
1 15 oz can pumpkin
2 egg white
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Mix together, bake at 350 degrees 18-20 minutes Makes 24 muffins.

These are delicious, and the best part is, they're not that bad for your waistline!...only 116 calories for one muffin. If you happen to be a Weight Watcher, that's only 2 points. YUM!