Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Crafts

Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default Decorating kid's shirts

So I just received several shirts that I ordered from Children's Place for my 5 year old DD. They're all plain color shirts with nothing on them. Cute, but I want to spice 'em up! Any ideas to make them fun for my little girl?

You had me at "Free Shipping!"
Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

There's a few ways you can use bleach to make some neat shirts. The way I've done them is to get masking tape and tear off pieces to make letters (or numbers, sayings, etc...) on the shirt. You can make the wording whatever size you want. Once you have the shirts taped up, take them out on your porch and spray them with a bleach and water solution (make sure not to totally soak the shirt, or the bleach will leak under the masking tape). Let them dry in the sun, and once dried, remove the tape and see your design! My sister has done a bunch of these, and instead (or along with) the masking tape idea she's used stickers (shapes, with characters on them, and letters, etc...) and also stencils. Be creative! They're way fun to do and oh so easy! They turn out so cute! Fun things to try is not always to put the words or design in the middle on the chest, but to off center the lettering like diagonal along the side, or towards the bottom of the shirt, alternate big and small letters, maybe put the words down the sleeve (if you have long sleeve shirts). These are fun to do for sports teams, girl's camp, family reunions, we made them when my whole family went to see Harry Potter...we all had "Muggle", "Mudblood", "HP", etc.. written on them. I even made one to go to a concert and had the band's name on the front then put the group members names on the back, then had them sign where their names were bleached out on it. HTH!

I my family!!!
.............. ......... ...... ............
married 14 yrs., boy 14 yrs., girl 10 yrs., girl 7 yrs., girl 5 yrs.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Penny Pincher

You could do iron ons. Or how about the embellished tees with a little doggie printed (get an iron on) and then add jeweled necklaces, tulle or cloth bows by the ear, or a flower.

Or how about tracing a big heart in the middle and then inside the heart sew a bunch of buttons? I think I would glue the buttons first to hold the buttons on, then try to sew as much as possible with a single thread. Not as sturdy as sewing all of the buttons indivually, but it would be cute.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

LOVE these ideas! Thanks!

You had me at "Free Shipping!"
Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Different colored buttons all along neckline
Old 08-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Take the iron-on transfer paper, crayons, markers, art pencils and stencils and create the designs that you'd like to see on shirts. You should choose a transfer paper that allows for artwork to be drawn on it directly.

Heat up the iron according to the instructions on the transfer paper. Usually, these types of paper call for a medium heat. You don't want it to be too hot. It'll ruin the transfer paper.

Press the iron transfer onto the T-shirts. You should plan on pressing each inch of the transfer paper for about 10 to 15 seconds—again depending on what the instructions say. You just want to make sure that the drawing is firmly affixed to the shirt through the transfer process. Additionally, this process will result in the design that was drawn directly onto the paper being transferred onto the T-shirt in the reverse or mirror image.

Let the design cool once the iron on has taken place.

Hand wash iron-on transfers to keep the transfer material steadfast.