Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Planting, Gardening, Landscaping

Old 01-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default What type of soil do I need to get?

I just bought a house and want to put a garden in this year. The whole yard is filled with rocks of all sizes and the soil is sandy. I started to get the spot ready but just in the 2 feet area I started I'm down 8 inches and still hitting rock. It's mostly little pebble rocks. But now the soil level's down. I want to add soil to it but I'm not sure if I need to get top soil, compost or something else.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I ignore the soil in my yard and put in raised beds for my garden. We filled the veggie boxes with a combination of top soil, compost, steer manure and then covered them in black plastic. Mix/blend well. Since the weather in our area has been so dry we're prepping and covering the beds now and they'll be ready for planting in April (we plant early by using a clear plastic covered frame for the first couple of weeks). We'll plant through the black plastic which will keep the weeds down. Works well for all our beds, including the flower beds.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I also did rasied beds because we are all rocks . Even just diging down to level out the beds (they are on a slop) took longer than everything g elce put together. I used 50/50 top soil and compost I could not afford anything fancy plantes liked it just fine I figured I could add as years go buy but I really needed to just get some dirt in the beds.