Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Local referrals - Utah

Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default This is a great deal! Expires 4/30/09

I just had someone who was recommended by a neighbor come by to schedule our home for the free insulation. The conversation I had with him backs up the info referenced above.

His company will check your house (free of charge) to see if it qualifies for the rebates, and if it does, they will add the insulation at no cost and no $ out of pocket. You just sign a contract that you agree to endorse and mail in the rebate checks to the insulation company once you receive them. They even fill in and submit the rebate paperwork for you, and leave 2 SAEs for you to send in the checks. AND you apparently also get a tax credit for 30% of the cost of the insulation on your 2009 tax return. (So it's not only free, but you come out ahead $$$). What could be easier? It's a no-brainer, IMO.

One thing to be aware of is that the rebate amounts will be drastically reduced after the end of this month, so the chance to get the insulation for FREE will probably go away at that time. So, if you want to take advantage of these rebates, now is the time. HTH
Old 08-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Is this program over?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default Insulation Rebate Question???

So has anyone actually had the insulation done and not had to pay anything out of pocket? Such as sign over the rebates once they received them back over to the contractor? I really want to get this done prior to the fall and not having to pay up front would really help out. Any info would be GREAT!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy of 3
So has anyone actually had the insulation done and not had to pay anything out of pocket? Such as sign over the rebates once they received them back over to the contractor? I really want to get this done prior to the fall and not having to pay up front would really help out. Any info would be GREAT!!!
From what I understand the rebate programs still are around, but they reduced the amounts so I don't think you can get it done for free with the rebates. Not 100% sure on this-but it's what someone else told me.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy of 3

I just had this done just now, as in the guys just left, I didnt handover any money and when the rebates come I will just sign them on the back and send them to the company.

I dont know if I can post the name so PM me if you want more info

This is what we got too, its probablly the same company
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodderd
His company will check your house (free of charge) to see if it qualifies for the rebates, and if it does, they will add the insulation at no cost and no $ out of pocket. You just sign a contract that you agree to endorse and mail in the rebate checks to the insulation company once you receive them. They even fill in and submit the rebate paperwork for you, and leave 2 SAEs for you to send in the checks. AND you apparently also get a tax credit for 30% of the cost of the insulation on your 2009 tax return. (So it's not only free, but you come out ahead $$$). What could be easier? It's a no-brainer, IMO.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 PM

We had ours done last year. I pay my Questar bill on an equal pay plan and they just did the annual adjustment. My payment went down $32.00. The only thing we can attribute the change to is the insulation.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageis
We had ours done last year. I pay my Questar bill on an equal pay plan and they just did the annual adjustment. My payment went down $32.00. The only thing we can attribute the change to is the insulation.
we have equal pay too, what was it before the insulation. We were wondering if it was going to really make a difference...
Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Read KSL article first before doing business with contractors who insulate

You'll want to read the story below (from KSL) first BEFORE doing business with ANY contractor willing to do insulate your attic for free.

Quote:
KSL 5 News investigates attic insulation rebates

Can you make your house more energy efficient and get paid to do it? It's no joke. The money comes from a couple of rebate funds set up by Questar Gas and Rocky Mountain Power. It doesn't matter where you live or how much you earn, you could qualify for better attic insulation, for free, thanks to the utility company rebates. The problem? We discovered those rebates are ending up in the wrong hands.

Free For Profit

The Questar Gas and Rocky Mountain Power rebate programs are meant to benefit the customers of both companies. After all, a part of every utility bill pays for them. The program has been set up to run a certain way. Customers are supposed to collect bids, pay to have the insulation installed, mail in the rebate forms and wait for the reimbursement checks to arrive.

Linda Gardner alerted us to something in her bid that seemed fishy.

"I wondered why they said it would be free," she said.

We decided to check it out. So we collected a stack of ads, got quotes from several insulation companies and took a hidden camera into a home where a contractor was making his pitch.

According to the salesman, "The way we've structured this makes it an easy deal for the homeowner where it ends up netting out at zero for you."

Generous Price Tag

The zero dollar price tag is not the result of generous contractors, but the generous utility companies. So what's really happening? The utilities offer $.70 a square foot for new attic insulation. Contractors know they can install insulation for less than $.70 a square foot. But when giant utility companies are willing to pay the $.70, it's hard to resist.

We called around and discovered pretty fast, insulation can cost a lot less than $.70 a square foot. We found it as cheap as $.35. So here's what some contractors are up to. They jack up their prices to $.70 a square foot, which happens to be the exact amount of your rebate. You don't know how much the job really costs. So they pocket the difference and turn a huge profit.

Next, we found contractors making up their own rules to get their hands on your rebate money. Linda's company told her it didn't need her to pay any money up front. Instead, they had her sign on the dotted line of a loan agreement. So when her rebate checks arrive, Linda is locked in. She has no choice but turn over her rebates so she can pay off that loan.

"Did you feel like this loan agreement was part of the rebate process?" we asked. "I felt it was necessary," replied Linda.

Unintended Benefits

We took what we found to the state agency that regulates utility companies. Julie Orchard, spokesperson for the Utah Public Service Commission said, "We do not want customers to sign their rebate away to, you know, a contractor."

Even though the cost of putting in the insulation has gone down in recent years, the rebate amount has stayed the same. That has allowed customers and contractors alike to cover the entire cost of their new insulation.

"That was not the way the program was designed," said Orchard.

Within in a week of our visit, both the Public Service Commission and Questar Gas were meeting to propose changes.

According to Questar Gas spokesman Darren Shepherd, "There is no way we can continue the program at the rate that it's going right now."

Questar has decided to lower its rebate amount by $.15 a square foot. That way, there is more money to go around, no one turns a profit, and customers still get help to cover a portion of their insulation bill."

Rocky Mountain Power says it has plans to lower its rebate amount too. Both utility companies are confident this is a cost-effective way to save energy. They do want to make sure customers, not contractors, are the ones benefiting from the program.

Can't afford to pay for insulation on your own? CLICK HERE to learn about other state assistance programs.
Source: KSL 5 News investigates attic insulation rebates, published March 12th, 2009 @ 10:05pm, http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5831799

------------------------

You can verify a contractor at https://secure.utah.gov/llv/search/index.html

You can view disciplinary actions and citations given to contractors at http://www.dopl.utah.gov/investigati...ciplinary.html
Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hut00009
You'll want to read the story below (from KSL) first BEFORE doing business with ANY contractor willing to do insulate your attic for free.

Source: KSL 5 News investigates attic insulation rebates, published March 12th, 2009 @ 10:05pm, http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5831799

------------------------

You can verify a contractor at https://secure.utah.gov/llv/search/index.html

You can view disciplinary actions and citations given to contractors at http://www.dopl.utah.gov/investigati...ciplinary.html

Yes, this is the article that pretty much made ALOT of people miss out on getting it done. Ksl is good at scaring people and this did not account for the cost to company that it has to pay for the sales and insulation people. There may be a few people that are able to pay out of pocket upfront but for the majority of us we cannot. I had ours done and I do not regret having the company we used do it and I don't feel bad about the company making a few extra pennies to help pay their people. My house I noticed has stayed warmer during the winter months and last few months of summer it was way cooler then before we had it done so I am satisfied. Let me know if you want the number for the company that we used.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Wondering if you could refer a good insulation company Salt Lake/Ogden area to put insulation in our walls. Thanks.