Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Local referrals - Utah

Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default best price for shutters?

My husband want to get nice sutters installled and we need to know where the best price and place to go is. any help?

We just had the blind man cmpany come out and give us an estiment $1400 for one large front window and two smaller windows. these were for all wood plantation shutters.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Our friends just moved into a new house and got wood plantation shutters and got an amazing deal. They were about $4K for the whole house and it's a 3600 square foot house with a lot of windows. I'll have to ask them who they went through. The other estimates they got were nowhere near the quote they got and they know other people that have gone through them that loved them.

I personally wouldn't recommend The Blind Man. That's who we went through when we moved into our house 6 years ago. Ours are just the basic 2" faux wood kind. I can't stand so many things about them and we paid as much for them as we did for our Hunter Douglas ones at our last house that we LOVED!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

O.k. I texted my friend. The name of the company is Smith Shutters. The name of the guy that owns the company is Branden. His shop is in Sandy. The number is 801-867-2886.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Penny Pincher

my mom just redid her whole house with these and used budget blinds in sandy. ( she lives in n. ogden) they look amazing and were able to get her the tax credit for 2010. not sure if its still available. i don't remember her final cost, but she is really picky and likes to compare and i know she had 4-5 bids and they were the best price for the best quality.

i'm going to do mine this summer and will use them.

be careful on real wood shutters. my sister had these and all the ones on the west side of her house warped in the sun over the course of only 2 years. she replaced all of them with faux wood and hasn't had a problem since - 10+ years.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Thanks I'll call both.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Penny Pincher

Polly Wood shutters are the only ones that qualified for the tax rebate because the R value is higher than real wood. Polly wood is a composite and will not warp or fade. I got lots of bids and looked at lots of products. I went with polly wood because I have a west facing window that gets super hot in the summer and didn't want them to warp and because I will get 30% back with the tax credit. Polly wood can be washed. You can swing the ones above your kitchen sink out over the sink and spray them off. If your kids ding them they won't show chips because they are white composite all the way through. Tax credit did not renew or continue into 2011 last time I checked.

Sun Mountain shutters in SLC manufactures polly wood. You can call them or go through Lowe's or Budget Blinds in Hooper. I found them through Budget Blinds but wished I would have tried direct from the manufacture after it was over.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

shutterup.com

Love them!! Julie is the best!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

I'll have to look up who I had come but we got three BIG windows done with just the white shutters I think 2 or 3 inch ones installed for $300. The guy who did them is a school teacher and does it on the side for extra money I thought he did a good job I love them. I know he does the wood ones too. I will have to scrounge around for his number if you are interested. He is in Cache Valley.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcluff323 View Post
O.k. I texted my friend. The name of the company is Smith Shutters. The name of the guy that owns the company is Branden. His shop is in Sandy. The number is 801-867-2886.
I used you referrel and my shutters look great thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippipippi View Post
I'll have to look up who I had come but we got three BIG windows done with just the white shutters I think 2 or 3 inch ones installed for $300. The guy who did them is a school teacher and does it on the side for extra money I thought he did a good job I love them. I know he does the wood ones too. I will have to scrounge around for his number if you are interested. He is in Cache Valley.
I'm interested. Please share.