Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 01-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default Fish recipes

My DH has decided after 36 years of hating all seafood, that he wants to start eating more fish and less beef. Does anyone have any really great fish recipes that he and the kids will like. I have tried a few and they have been o.k., but I would like to try something new. Thanks for you help.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:25 PM
allisony

My husband loves salmon and can eat it plain with some herbs and baked. I decided one day that I would take some of it and put it with something else so maybe I would enjoy it. I made pasta with alfredo and spinach sauce and broke the salmon into chunks and added it to the pasta. I am not too fond of fish, but this was pretty tasty. Hope thats along the lines of what you are looking for.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Master Penny Pincher

It's not really a recipe, but I LOVE Costco's Pubhouse Batterd Halibut. It is very mild tasting (I'm not a seafood lover). My dd eats it with no problem (and she is picky). I usually bake it and make some wild rice or something to go with it.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

I love fish!
Tilapia is one of my favorites Ė it has a very mild taste. I buy it from Costco or Sams because itís usually a reasonable price there (salmon, too). One very easy way to cook fish is to buy some of the seasoning mixes from Sams and bake or poach it. Iíve used the Lemon Pepper, Southwest Chipotle and Cajun Bayou and theyíre all good.

I have a lot of recipes for fish. If youíll describe what kind of fish you have in mind or what kind of seasonings you like I could post some more of my favorites. Iíve tried anything from yogurt sauce to Tahini sauce to etouffe.

Here are some favorites:

Easy Baked Fish Fillets

1-2 lb fish fillets
4 Tbl melted butter
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Spray the bottom of your baking dish. Place fish in dish, mix remaining ingredients, and drizzle the sauce over the fish. Bake at 375 until done Ė about 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets. This is good with a cheesy corn spoon bread or scalloped potatoes and green beans.

Fish in Curry Sauce

2 lb. fish
salt and pepper
1/2 c. sliced green onions
1 c. skim milk
3 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. parsley
2 tsp. curry powder
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. basil

Place fish in baking dish and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and onions.
Stir milk and cornstarch until dissolved and then add remaining ingredients. Pour sauce over fish, cover, and bake at 400 until done (about 20 to 25 minutes). Serve with rice.

Finnish Salmon Stew (this is so good! - really)

4 Tbl butter
2 carrots, chopped fine
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable broth
15 oz petite diced tomatoes
2 medium potatoes, diced (Yukon Gold if the best for this recipe)
2 Tbl pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced (sounds weird but itís good)
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp thyme
salt and pepper
1 Tbl white wine vinegar
1 tsp dry dill
1-2 lb salmon fillet

Cook onion and carrot in butter until soft. Stir in garlic, broth, tomatoes, potatoes, olives, paprika, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil and then simmer, covered, about 20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
Stir in vinegar and dill. Submerge salmon, cover and simmer very gently for about 5 minutes and then turn off heat and let sit, covered for 10 minutes to finish cooking the salmon.
Serve with bread and a soft cheese. Optional: stir in a spoon of sour cream in each bowl.

Fish tacos

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 package Taco Seasoning Mix, divided (use 2 packages if you like it really spicy)
1-2 lb fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 Tbl oil and 2 Tbl lemon juice
1 package Taco Shells (hard or soft are both good)

Combine sour cream, mayo, cilantro and half of the taco seasoning for the taco sauce.
Combine oil, lemon juice and rest of taco seasoning and mix with fish. Saute until fish is done Ė only about 4 minutes.
Fill shells with fish and whatever other topping you want (shredded cabbage or lettuce, tomatoes, taco sauce, etc.)

Au gratin Fish (not low-cal, but good!)

2 lbs fish fillets
8 slices cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk

Put half of the fish in a greased baking dish. Top with half of the cheese. Layer with the other half of the fish and cheese. Sprinkle with oregano and parsley.
Saute onions in oil until tender. Remove from oil and add flour, salt and pepper, and milk. Stir until thick. Pour over fish and bake at 400 for about 30 minutes. I serve this with steamed vegetables.

Fish in Creole Sauce

1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 Tbl butter
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 lb fish fillets
Saute onion and celery in butter. Add remaining ingredients except the fish. Place the fish on top of the sauce. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until fish is done. Good served with rice.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

We eat a lot of halibut and salmon courtesy of Doc Warner's (My DH loves to fish and this is a great place!). They have great recipes on their site, http://www.docwarners.com/recipes.htm
Old 01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Master Penny Pincher

We eat halibut and salmon at least twice a week. My favorite way to eat salmon is on the BBQ grill.

Hubby covers the grill with tinfoil. He places the salmon on the tinfoil (with grill underneath). Then we pour on olive oil, honey and spices. Then we let it grill. Ummmmm...this is the best.

With the halibut, we put it in the oven. We line a glass cooking pan 8x8 or 9x13 with tinfoil. Then we cover the halibut with lemon, herbs, oils and honey. We let it bake and it is delicious.

We buy our halibut and salmon at Sam's Club. I also really like the breaded halibut from Sam's Club. But we only get that occassionally since the breading isn't that healthy and it's expensive (I think).
Old 01-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Thank you all for the ideas. Please keep them coming. I love Halibut and Tilapia. Salmon is not one of our favorites - too fishy.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Master Penny Pincher

This website contains a TON of recipes for Tilapia, from American Tilapia Association.

http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/ista/recipes.htm

Isn't Tilapia a form of Carp? I believe it is. It is now the 6th most commonly eaten seafood product in the U.S. There are a ton of Carp farms in the U.S. I was at dinner with friends last week and we were talking about the fish farms.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2obis
We eat a lot of halibut and salmon courtesy of Doc Warner's (My DH loves to fish and this is a great place!). They have great recipes on their site, http://www.docwarners.com/recipes.htm
Hey, I'm going there in May! DH is doing some construction for them, so we get a free trip.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmom
Thank you all for the ideas. Please keep them coming. I love Halibut and Tilapia. Salmon is not one of our favorites - too fishy.
Try the salmon in the Finnish Stew - seriously, it's great!