Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Oklahoma's Screaming Deals

Old 06-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Courtesy cards

Store Courtesy Cards
Apply for grocery store's courtesy cards! In Tulsa Homeland has them...
Courtesy cards are necessary to take advantage of sale prices, and other specials such as free turkeys at Thanksgiving. There is no charge for these cards.

Some stores however, do not offer a courtesy card. Their everyday prices are comparable to sale prices at the other two chains. You might ask, "Why not do all my shopping there?" Marc's does not offer double coupons. When coupons are doubled or tripled, some products are free or only cost pennies! Free is better than everyday low prices! (More of this will be explained in Maximizing your Savings -- And also this is where "This Week's Best Deals" list does the work for you!)

The way to save for college when you buy groceries! http://www.upromise.com/
__________________________________________________ ________

Are Albertson's, King Soopers, Homeland and Safeway stores taking your buying-habit data gleaned from the discount card and reselling it?

Sen. Ken Chlouber, R-Leadville, claims supermarkets are using customers' information improperly, and he's introduced a bill that would ban the free discount cards.

Supermarket discount cards are used by grocery chains across the country to give deals to frequent shoppers.

By filling out a short application and then swiping the card at the check-out line, customers rack up discounts that aren't available to those without a card.

Chlouber, touching on a controversial privacy issue, says grocery stores are using the cards to gather information about customers' buying habits and then selling it to other companies.

The stores claim they never sell customer data and that the cards are used to gather demographic information, helping stores decide which product to carry or put on sale.

While stores ask for a name and address there's certainly a way to get around it if you're worried about sharing your information. Applications don't require a Social Security number.

The cards were described as "a pain," or just "silly," by some shoppers who think they should have the same deals even without the card. Other residents feel that itshould be up to stores to decide how to market their products. Instead of using cards, some stores simply offer shoppers double coupons.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Just the facts:
  • The largest group of coupon users, by education, are those with the most advanced degrees – post-graduates at 79%

The more affulent the family the more likely they are to use coupons. The group with the highest level of usage was in the income bracket of those making $50,000-$75,00 a year!

Manufacturers offered more than $250 billion dollars in coupons in 2003, resulting in $3 billion in consumer savings. (So the other $247 billion dollars worth of coupons weren't used??)

Many people get involved, in couponing not just for the savings, but as a hobby... because they feel "they're beating the system". They combine store sales with coupons, valuepage deals (web bucks), rebates, store card holder discounts (sometimes called courtesy cards), etc. to get items for free.
Others may be trying to build a savings account...have a baby coming...planning a special wedding anniversary or other event...college......or for holiday gifts, daughters wedding or a vacations...while others are having to decide between prescriptions or eating ....trying to survive a job loss... needing to pay off debt or retired.

I liked what this woman had to say:

"I believe the most important thing you can do with money, is to give it away. And working hard and managing your money well, can enable you to do that. My favorite reason for saving is so that I can have more money to GIVE! "

"We all have financial choices (and sacrifices) to make. Everyone has areas where they choose (whether consciously or not) to save money, and areas where they choose NOT to save money. We all save money in one way or the other, and we spend money in one way or the other. I pray that we will always make the right decisions, taking care of the things that matter the most... and saving on everything else!"

Ever notice how when someone says "thank you", you are willing to do or give more?

A tithe is a way of acknowledging God's presence in everything we do;
a way of showing your gratitude...a way of saying "thank you". We can tithe 10% off of our coupon savings, keeping the other 90% for ourselves. (On $1 savings you only give back 10c and keep 90c.) Remember you can't outgive God.

Malachi wrote of the promise of provision saying, “prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of Hosts, if I will not open you the windows of Heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it” (Malachi 3:10b). God has promised an abundant blessing for those who trust Him by giving their tithes and their offerings. Will you not prove God?

Just like when I find a penny I think about what it says "In God we trust", so it goes into my offering envelope.

Your grocery bill is one of the very few items on your budget that you can play around with and make changes to. The money you save using coupons and combining them with store sales will be as much or as little as the effort you want to put into it. You can start out small and work your way up, but you've got to start!

Super couponers, so adept at buying goods at little or no cost that they have food to spare often are major contributors to local food banks and homeless shelters . They cut each and every coupon they find....even ones they are sure they, personally, won't use! No matter how expensive something is, you can never tell when there will be a sale and you will actually be able to get that item for free. Orphanages, food banks, abuse shelters and animal shelters benefit from your generosity and you benefit from the tax deductions.

Expired coupons can be sent overseas to military families where they can be used, in the commissary, for up to 6 months past the expiration date.....and they are allowed to use more than one coupon on an item since they can't get "double coupons". We can help these deserving families for the price of a stamp. (Yes, I have addresses!!)

Use coupons to feed the hungry and cut your grocery bill at the same time. Coupon savings can be used to purchase products as a charitable donation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beyond the cash value, there also are social benefits to couponing. For example, there are thousands of neighborhood clubs around the nation where people gather to swap coupons.

One elderly woman stays in touch with her grandchildren by sending them spare coupons every month — along with a note about her activities.

With items you can get for little or no money (such as pasta, parmesan cheese and pasta sauce "purchased" with coupons) you can also make gift baskets for a special occasion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More than one who became a "coupon queen" became determined to make it work for her to cut expenses, by using coupons and refunds. If you have to buy shampoo and other items anyway, why not get it for very little or even free? It doesn't cost much to get started....

It is possible to get groceries for free. But remember, the "Coupon Queens" you have seen on televison or in magazines may have spent weeks or months getting ready to be able to buy tons of groceries for free. They do not do that every single time they go, but chances are that they are slashing their grocery bill way down by 50% or more. The bottom line is: Like anything else, one has to work at it! One "stay-at-home" mom said, "This is my job, this is how I provide for my family". If it is to be, it is up to me!

Some people find that it is little effort to keep scissors and their coupons near the TV, to clip, while they watch their favorite show.

http://www.couponmonth.com/pages/allabout.htm

How much do you plan to save and how long will it take you to reach your goal?
She estimates that coupons save her about 25% and that refunds save her anther 25%, for a total savings of about $200 a month. “We don’t have double coupon stores here or I’d save more.

"Is it really worth it to shop for two hours?" they'd ask, curious as to why anyone would endure such an extensive period of time doing what most consider a chore.

"Well, let's say on an average shop, I spend two hours and pay $70 for $160 worth of groceries. That's a $90 savings. Would you shop for $45 per hour?" In my five-plus years as a true coupon diva, I have yet to hear someone answer "no".

What are you doing with the $$$ you save?
But I can dream, can't I? Give us details! Inpsire us!

Subscription information: Refundle Bundle, PO Box 140, Yonkers, N.Y. 10710. Refunding Makes Cents, Box 676, Bountiful, Utah 84011.

Save Coupons
When you toss those coupons out with the trash, you’re throwing away cash. Look through the grocery store advertisements and match your coupons up with the sales, increasing your savings. If your store doesn’t offer double coupon deals, try to find one that does.

Just by using coupons for some of the products I regularly buy, I can shave a few dollars off my household budget every month. To be perfectly honest, I don't even use every coupon that comes my way. I've gotten quite picky about the products I'm willing to try, so there are some perfectly good coupons that I'll never use. But I also don't just use coupons at the grocery store either. Restaurants, movie theaters, coffee shops, florists – if somebody has something to sell, there's a good chance there's a coupon out there somewhere. The real art to couponing, then, is first finding the coupon, and then actually using it.

I am happy to spend that much time a week. When I was new I had to spend more time, I sorted all my coupons and had to build up my stockpile. It may have taken me four to six hours a week between shopping, clipping and sorting.

Coupons aren't just for the grocery stores either. You can save money on many of the items you use on a daily basis using coupons and shopping at discount stores such as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Big Lots, etc. I don't recall the last time I paid full price for any paper or cleaning products. Personal hygiene products such as feminine products, shampoo's, bath gels, shaving cream, and toothpaste can all be purchased on sale while using a coupon.

When you combine your coupons with store sales you will walk out of the grocery store with items you get for free or pennies on the dollar.

hey Called Me a CHEAPSKATE! http://www.betterbudgeting.com/artic...cheapskate.htm

by Michelle Jones

Reasons people coupon-
My daughter has responsibility for the list and for making sure we use the coupons. Together, we decide if using the coupon will save us money or if we should buy another less expensive brand. She has become very proficient at figuring unit price. You could enlist your children to help you and offer them a percentage of the savings. My store lists the total amount saved using coupons so when I get home I put that amount into my savings envelope to maximize my savings.
Her "pay" for this is 15% of what we save. 10% to spend and 5% to put away for college.

Her math skills are excellent and we have been doing this since she was 5. Any child can benefit from this activity.

If you have more than one child, designate a child for each shopping trip, whether it be monthly or weekly.

Experts like Samtur, who publishes the "Refundle Bundle" monthly newsletter, say that a family that uses coupons can shave an average of 20 percent off its weekly grocery bill. Super couponers can cut their food bills in half. That's money a tight-budget family doesn't have to spend; and it's "found money" for those who are better off.

Couponing from the other side
Although couponing has entered the information age, it might surprise you to know that the practice is over a century old: druggist Asa Candler issued the first coupon—for his new drink, Coca-Cola—in 1894, followed the next year by C.W. Post’s 1-cent-off offer on Grape Nuts cereal. Candler and Post might be surprised to learn that nowadays marketers distribute 250 billion such incentives yearly in an effort to entice shoppers to choose their product among the 18,000 brands available in an average supermarket.

James P. Santella and Associates monitors coupon use for businesses and makes available online such information as how to design an effective coupon, how to create a couponing strategy, and how to protect against coupon fraud [www.santella.com/coupon.htm]. This site also provides statistics on coupon distribution and redemption—and some of the best Web site background music on the Internet!

Forecast: Couponers will not cut it out
Certainly times have changed since Dad found his favorite magazine mutilated for the sake of 15-cents-off a package of bath soap. But with approximately 20,000 new products appearing in grocery stores each year (that’s 400 per week!), marketers will continue to use coupons to entice consumers, especially those shoppers labeled “promiscuous,” i.e., those who hop from brand to brand and store to store.

Promiscuous or not, the 87 percent of Americans who currently use coupons will no doubt continue to enjoy their bargains
Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Bump