Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 06-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default pulled pork recipes

Help! I know there is probably already a thread, but I can't find it and have to go to work. Any good recipes for pulled pork!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

I just made a Cafe Rio version ---- Cook a pork roast on low in the Crockpot for 4-5 hours, then drain the liquid out and shred the pork with 2 forks, Add a 20 oz bottle of coke (not diet) 1 cup of brown sugar and a bottle of salsa --- cook for another 4 hours or so. It's good!! We just had it with rice tonight, while we were camping we ate it on buns.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Master Penny Pincher/Moderator

I just cook mine in a crock pot for 8 hours, shred, and the mix in fav bbq sauce and serve on buns.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherriwj
I just made a Cafe Rio version ---- Cook a pork roast on low in the Crockpot for 4-5 hours, then drain the liquid out and shred the pork with 2 forks, Add a 20 oz bottle of coke (not diet) 1 cup of brown sugar and a bottle of salsa --- cook for another 4 hours or so. It's good!! We just had it with rice tonight, while we were camping we ate it on buns.
I just made this recipe this week and sorry to say we were all very disappointed with it.The only positive was how incredibaly tender the pork was and how easy it was to shred.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Alton Brown's Good Eats Recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._23019,00.html
(Will need adapting for a slow cooker)

Allrecipes Carnitas recipe (mexican pulled pork)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ronaldo...as/Detail.aspx
Old 06-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
The one I make is a little different. I also add some enchilada sauce, garlic and green chiles. http://pinchingyourpennies.com/forum...ad.php?t=72410
Old 06-05-2008, 10:37 PM

I like this, its worth the time needed to make this:
Spice Rub and Pork
3 tablespoons dry mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds)
4 cups wood chips , soaked for 15 minutes

Mustard Barbecue Sauce
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. For the spice rub and pork: Combine dry mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne, breaking up any lumps. Dry pork with paper towels and rub all over with spice mixture. (Roast can be wrapped tightly in plastic and refrigerated for 24 hours.)

2. Seal wood chips in foil packet and cut vent holes in top. Open bottom vent on grill. Light 50 coals; when covered with fine gray ash, pour in pile on one side of grill. Arrange foil packet directly on coals. Set cooking grate in place and heat, covered, with lid vent open halfway until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 5 minutes. (For gas grill, place foil packet directly on primary burner. Heat all burners on high, covered, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and shut other burner[s] off.) Scrape and oil cooking grate. Place pork on cool side of grill and barbecue, covered, until exterior of pork has a rosy crust, about 2 hours.

3. For the mustard barbecue sauce and to finish: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and pepper in bowl until smooth. Transfer pork to roasting pan and brush 1/2 cup sauce over meat. Cover roasting pan tightly with foil and bake until fork inserted into pork can be removed with no resistance, 2 to 3 hours. Remove from oven and rest, still wrapped in foil, for 30 minutes. Unwrap pork and, when cool enough to handle, pull meat into thin shreds, discarding fat, if desired. Toss pork with remaining sauce. Serve.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
We just use 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup salsa, it's one of our favorites!